PDA

View Full Version : What you used to consider long, do you think it is short now?

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Something I just ran into, I was zapping and ran across this old video clip with Kate Bush, singing that very well known song, dancing in that white dress. Sorry, not a clue what the song is called anymore.

Anyway.. when I saw that clip ages ago I was going like this :eek: because her hair was so long!

And now??

"hmm.. gee.. how short.. I think mine is longer"

:lol:

Ever encounter something like that?

Strongnlong
April 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
This Womans Work?

I consider waist and beyond to be "long"....LHC has spoiled me :)

Jason
April 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I think it's a phenomena most of us seeking to grow really long hair experience. I used to think having hair long enough to all reach a ponytail tie would be long but now that seems very short to me. Like you, my definition of long hair on others has now changed considerably.

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The only word I could make out was wuthering (or something) where she hovers her arm over her head multiple times :lol:

Do note: I am more than half deaf both ears, music is an interesting experience :lol:

Yeah.. I still see long haired girls.. at least.. I CONSIDER them long haired, and then I realize they are at APL or above.. that is shorter than I am! It's still weird to get used to that :D

jojo
April 18th, 2008, 09:08 AM
when i was long before i used to think pony stubs where really short, then i got cut and craved the pony stub back as it then looked long again, now im back to my original thoughts!

jojo
April 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
The only word I could make out was wuthering (or something) where she hovers her arm over her head multiple times :lol:

Do note: I am more than half deaf both ears, music is an interesting experience :lol:

Yeah.. I still see long haired girls.. at least.. I CONSIDER them long haired, and then I realize they are at APL or above.. that is shorter than I am! It's still weird to get used to that :D
oh i do that, i see some lovely hair and think i cant wait until mine is as long as that, then i realize im a good 3 " longer! great feeling though eh?

Morticia
April 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
When I look at photo albums at times where I remember having long hair, it seems so short now. For example, I remember having longer than usual hair after my son was born because I was too exhausted to go get it cut. When I see the pictures now, though, my hair was just a few inches past my shoulder!

Patrycja
April 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I actually had the exact opposite thought while looking at my wedding photos.I had hair that was maybe 2-3" above my waist and I thought it was on the short side then.Then,a month after the wedding,I cut it to right below my shoulders.Now-I look at those pictures and I want to cry...it was only slightly over a year ago!

Juliet's Silk
April 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, one of the known side effects of LHC (didn't you read the package insert?).

I do have a similar incident to tell, though.
Maybe ~4 years back I watched a really horrible horror movie in TV, "Halloween", starring Denise Richards (and David Boreanaz but that's another story :eyebrows:). When I first watched the movie I was soooo in love with Denise Richards' hair - brown, thick, straight and SO LONG! I think I even wrote in my journal that my hair wanted to be like this when it grew up.

Last year, my hair now at TBL, I watched the rerun. And I still loved Denise Richards' hair. But I wondered - didn't I remember that it was very long? It was only BSL!
Made me giggle.

florenonite
April 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM

It would have been Wuthering Heights, then, for anyone like me who wants to YouTube it to find the video ^_^.

I see girls with APL or longer hair that's all one length and it looks so much longer, or hair that's layered and maybe an inch or two longer than mine, but thinner and so it seems much longer than mine. My hair still feels reeeaaallly short to me.

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah, one of the known side effects of LHC (didn't you read the package insert?).
*grabs it, reads it, goes "oh"*

Now I did! :lol:

Isilya
April 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
It is indeed 'Wuthering Heights'.

And my take on short/long hair has changed too. Before growing, I thought BSL was long. Now I see waist length hair and think 'That girl's hair is getting long'. Even more when it's my hair, but I think most of us experience that. In another thread I posted how my goal length changed from BSL to waist, to hip and eventually to TBL :shrug:

willowcandra
April 18th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah changed for me too. I think of bra strap as short now but at the time it was loooong.
Long now for me is longer than tailbone. Super long is knee length or longer.

(I have that song stuck in my head now.--Heathcliffe it's me-a cathy-a come hoome now, soooooo cold let me innn your hea ar ar art , oooh)

Eireann
April 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I was zapping last night (by the way, I love that expression!) I saw a rerun of "Friends." I used to think Lisa Kudrow had such long hair, but it is barely APL. Go figure! I guess it was long compared to those g-dawful shags the other 2 had (yes, I had one too . . . it was the 90s! I couldn't help myself!) :shrug:

Sarahmoon
April 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I consider my hair (few cms away from tailbone) to be long, though not "extremely long". I know I should get a trim to get rid of split ends, but I don't really dare because I'm affraid I will end up with above hip length hair. I don't think that's short on other people, but it would feel "short" on myself.

getoffmyskittle
April 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
No, actually. :bigeyes: I'll see girls with BSL or waistlength hair and think "oh wow, she has such pretty long hair!" ... "oh wait. :bigeyes:" (My hair is ~tailbone.)

Also, I've had the experience of trimming off a couple inches and having my hair end up where I thought it was before.

SHELIAANN1969
April 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I used to think that bsl length was long, now I think that its "on its way" to being long.

I now have waist/ abit longer than waist length hair, and dont consider that long at all, I consider long as "past tailbone" or longer.

Lixie
April 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I still see women with waist length hair and think to myself "Wow, she has some really long hair!" then remember my own mane is at midd-butt. :lol:

Emichiee
April 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I know it sounds crazy but pretty much everything shorter than my current length seems short to me..:rolleyes: *sry*

In the past I thought BSL was really long though..

ale
April 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM
There's a guy in my gym with almost waist length blonde, straight hair, with an undercut. I used to admire him because of his hair, that were well longer than mine (he has a great body shape too, and I still admire him for that).
Days ago I spotted him after maybe a couple of years, and lo! (Coleridge reminiscence) My hair is a foot longer than his, and the undercut makes his look thinner while I have my full head of hair. His hair is still beautiful, but now what seemed to me a dream length looks so short...
(Mmh, I think he's still bigger than me, anyway..I have to work on this)

myrtle
April 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM
The feeling that I have had as my hair has gotten longer is that what I feel is long has changed as now waist length does not seem that long.

wintersun99
April 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM

backtolonghair
April 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
My hair is a little past my shoulders now, and so BSL seems so long for me, but I'm sure when I arrive at that it won't seem that long anymore. It's almost like the grass is always greener on the other side type thing I think. Once you have something, you accomplish a goal, it's natural to want to reach a higher one, even when it comes to hair I think. I still can't believe I cut my waist length hair off awhile back, because of the pressure to have my hair a certain length. I'm gonna do what's right for me. :)

amaiaisabella
April 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I used to think past shoulder length was long, but now that I've reached it, it is still very short. My hair goal right now is BSL, and my hair goddess is Roselyn Sanchez:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1711312896/nm0761052

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Bsl seems long to me right now because my hair isnt there yet.But I used to have long hair almost waist, and it never seemed long to me until I cut it, so I see pictures of my hair and I think wow it was sooo long, and I didnt even realize it.

But on other people I turn my head to see anything past APL because its long for society standards, and notice mostly the shine and health more than length, but when I see healthy shiny soft waist - hip I say wow!

BTW: Did you guys know that in the hair industry, anything below shoulders is considered long, and shoulder length is considered average?Crazy huh?

backtolonghair
April 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
What does APL mean? Just curious. :)

Isilya
April 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
What does APL mean? Just curious. :)
APL = armpit length

Juliet's Silk
April 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
BTW: Did you guys know that in the hair industry, anything below shoulders is considered long, and shoulder length is considered average?Crazy huh?

Funny huh? I always had problems with terms like "long" and "short" when it comes to hair... when I was in my teens I used to chat quite a lot and when it came to describing oneself I always went "my hair is... well uh... short. Well not REALLY short, but not long either. Like... middle-length?" - my hair used to be chin length and I always considered it short. :lol: But I quickly learned that "short" in the "real" world meant REALLY short, like 1-2".
Don't have that problem anymore, whew.

Wavelength
April 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
(I have that song stuck in my head now.--Heathcliffe it's me-a cathy-a come hoome now, soooooo cold let me innn your hea ar ar art , oooh)

Close but not quite. I think it's: "Heathcliff, it's me, your Cathy; I've come home. I'm so cold. Let me in at your window!"

The song is based on the classic novel "Wuthering Heights" by Bronte. Cathy (actually it should be Catherine, as Cathy is another character) is Heathcliff's childhood playmate/one true love who dies unexpectedly. Heathcliff believes her ghost is haunting him. In a rather creepy scene at the beginning of the book, her ghost is heard at the window of Heathcliff's manor, crying to be let in.

Back on topic: My perception of "short" and "long" has definitely changed. BSL and up = short. Waist and down = long. Between BSL and waist = medium length. :D

jessie58
April 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Oh hell yes, I started out at 14 inches and thought my hair would be so long at BSL. When I got to BSL, I thought, oh my gosh, my hair is just not growing, when will I ever get to waist. Waist looks long for me now, but I have no doubt that will change when I get there.

heidihug
April 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I definitely look at other people's hair more now than I used to. I guess my definition of other people's hair hasn't changed much - if an adult has BSL hair or longer, I think to myself, wow, she/he has long hair. Probably 'cause, around here, that is quite long for anyone over 18 yrs old.

However, for myself, I consider my present length to be just "longish". Perhaps because I look at pictures of people with classic length or longer hair all the time now, and have become inured to it...?

spidermom
April 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I was watching a movie I've seen before - Michael with John Travolta - and there's a scene in a bar with a waitress who I remembered as having such L O N G hair, and she does, but it's in a V shape. So actually only one part of it is exceptionally long and the rest is no longer than mine, shorter right on the sides. Stupid but that was kind of a revelation about how long my hair has gotten.

Starr
April 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I consider waist on other people long. But for some reason tailbone on me is way too short.:rolleyes:

EdG
April 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
And now??
"hmm.. gee.. how short.. I think mine is longer"
:lol:
Ever encounter something like that?All the time. In real life, I never see really long hair any more :silly:

Except at a long hair meet. :D
Ed

Bellatrix
April 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I've always considered waist+ to be long.

Mishka_84
April 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I've generally always followed this guide:
Short: Chin length or shorter
Medium: Between chin and BSL
Long: longer than BSL

Even when I was in the "medium" category, I still thought it wasn't long, even when I got compliments on how long my haid had gotten!

Now that I'm at BSL though, it's not nearly long enough for me!

birdiefu
April 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, it happens to me too! Pretty much anything shorter than me I think of as 'short' (or at least not really long), anything longer than me is 'long' and my current length is 'almost-long'. Hmm, in this case I don't know how long my hair will have to get for me to actually consider it long. Floor?

Angela_Rose
April 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
i tend to look at my hair and think "Jeez, how short!"
Then i have to remind myself that i can sit on it.
Friends of mine say thinks like "my hair has gotten soooo long!" when it's barely brushing their brastraps. Tsk tsk. When those things are said, i tend to slip my fork/sticks/pen/whatever out of the mane and let real long hair loose.