PDA

View Full Version : best thing I have learned from here

cakebaker
September 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I just wanted to say that I think the greatest thing I have learned from LHC is that you don't have to settle for what is in the hair care section of a store. I have learned you can use oils you all ready have like olive oil, things from your cabinet like honey, and things from your fridge like mayo. I have added to those "ingredients" with things like sweet almond oil and coconut oil and the thing is my hair has never looked better by using these natural ingredients. Anyway, I was just thinking about how cool it was when I was mixing up a SMT this morning. That I was making my own deep treatment and I didn't have to be a slave to commercial products.
Does anyone else have anything they think is the best thing they have learned here?

RancheroTheBee
September 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
That just because it worked for someone else, it might not work for me, and that's okay. Right now, I shampoo and condition and otherwise neglect my hair. :flower: Works for me! But I'd barely be past chin if it weren't for the LHC.

Opal25
September 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I think for me it would be the option of using Aryuvedic herbs to cleanse hair - a great option to many of the overtly drying commercial shampoos out there. :D

whisper
September 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Oh, so many things but especially...

CO with VO5
Kimberlillie's defrizzer recipe
coconut oil
aloe gel
damp bunning

shaybabe8604
September 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I've learned many great things but the best would have to be that my hair type can grow long and beautiful and is not defective, but it just needs a certain type of handling. :) :cheese:

Runzel
September 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
This one should have been obvious, but to me it wasn't: the best thing I've learned here is that all the little things you do to your hair make the big difference between good condition and bad condition.

whiteisle
September 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'd have to say the best thing I've learned since joining LHC is to look closer at the things I use on my body and to be more aware of what those things actually are ~ to question their effectivness and their safety.

September 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
The best thing I learned was that benign neglect is a type of maintenance.

*curls up on the sofa in her pjs with some ice cream*

What? This is my haircare regimen.. it's very important.

BlndeInDisguise
September 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think one of the (many) best things I've learned from LHC is that I don't have to shampoo ALL of my hair--in fact, I don't have to use shampoo at all! But really, I don't know why the thought of not shampooing my entire hair had never crossed my mind. :o

Heavenly Locks
September 16th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I think one of the (many) best things I've learned from LHC is that I don't have to shampoo ALL of my hair--in fact, I don't have to use shampoo at all! But really, I don't know why the thought of not shampooing my entire hair had never crossed my mind. :o

I agree! I mean, who'd have thought you don't have to do what the shampoo commercials tell you to do?

I like going against the grain :)

Shiva
September 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM
The best thing I learned was that benign neglect is a type of maintenance.

*curls up on the sofa in her pjs with some ice cream*

What? This is my haircare regimen.. it's very important.
I hope your ice cream has lottsa protien in it. ;)

Best thing I've learned here has got to be oiling and catnip.

Charentais
September 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I've learned many great things but the best would have to be that my hair type can grow long and beautiful and is not defective, but it just needs a certain type of handling. :) :cheese:

Ditto.

I thought I was destined to have short hair because it was too fine/frizzy/fragile to grow.

But if I care for it properly, I can have long hair. Thank you, LHC!

angelthadiva
September 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I learned about seamless combs and horn combs. I learned to embrace my wurly hair instead of flat ironing and blowing it out daily. I learned that I can do scalp washes instead of washing ALL my hair, since the scalp is the only part that really needed to be washed. I learned what a difference microfiber towels can make. I learned that wearing it up and messing with it less was actually a good thing. I learned that the best hair care routines don't have to be complicated or expensive.

mellie89
September 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I learned that I don't have to have a fancy haircut or use expensive products to have beautiful hair.
Also, learning to embrace my waves and putting down the flatiron was an important step!

friskybiznus
September 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
1. No one here asks me when I'm gonna cut or color my hair.
2. Coconut oil !
3. The cool setting on my blow dryer is my friend. My Chi iron is not.
4. HAIRSTICKS!!!! (I'm becoming addicted)
5. I'm making cool new friends!

heatherdazy
September 16th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Not so much a new trick, but a reminder about braid waves. They've really helped me cut back on my heat styling!

RocketDog
September 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I've learned about the miraculous things that honey can do to my hair, how to properly use oils to help my hair retain moisture, and how to shampoo and comb in a way that doesn't destroy my hair.

I've also learned patience, and how 'putting it up and forgetting about it' can do more for my peace of mind than any number of trims and styling aids ever could! I don't NEED all that to have a gorgeous head of hair... if anything, my hair is happier and healthier than it was when it looked sleek and stylishly coiffed.

JamieRose
September 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I've learned how important it is to read the ingredients list on a product before I read the oh so convincing sounding description at the top.... Used to get me every time!

Blackfay
September 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM
The best thing I've learned is how to prevent mechanical damage from brushing roughly and letting hair hang loose and snag in things - I always end up with random broken patches of shorter hair, but now that I know pulling hair up will prevent that, and after a few trims, I'm seeing far fewer broken patches!

Stephichan
September 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I think the best thing I've learned from here is that I CAN grow long hair. And all it takes is patience, eating right, and taking good care of it.

hmmruka
September 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I am learning to let go of the high maintenance version of me that I thought was the only way to be beautiful. I thought I needed the perfectly colored/highlighted edgy hair that was perfectly styled and ironed everyday. Not to mention the full face of make up. But I am learning that natural is so much more beautiful, especially if you are confident in your own skin. I think that is what I have learned so far, but I am new so I'm sure I will find more and more to help me with my journey.

Thinthondiel
September 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have learned that when I don't shampoo, my sebum gets to do its thing... and has left my hair in a much better condition than before! :)

fluffybunny
September 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I learned that a hairstick isn't just an ornament-- it actually holds up hair! I really didn't know this. Had one once years ago, could never figure out how to use it, and gave it away.

Melisande
September 17th, 2009, 12:02 AM
The best I've learned here is - accept your hair as it is. And: think long-term, not short-term, if you want long hair, not short hair.

But all the other things you mentioned here, benign neglect, reading ingredients, reducing shampoo use, mixing your own recipes from food stuffs etc definitely are very important for me, too.

indigonight
September 17th, 2009, 03:36 AM
That I cannot condition enough and that conditioner is my best friend. I thought shampoo and condition was enough but now I know I need to condition and also deep conditioning, CO wash, moisturize and moisturize more.....

Tangerine
September 17th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by BlndeInDisguise
I think one of the (many) best things I've learned from LHC is that I don't have to shampoo ALL of my hair--in fact, I don't have to use shampoo at all! But really, I don't know why the thought of not shampooing my entire hair had never crossed my mind.

I agree! I mean, who'd have thought you don't have to do what the shampoo commercials tell you to do?

I like going against the grain :)

Me three! :cheese:
It is so simple but I never thought of it before ... And it makes such a huge and almost immediate difference. For me, this was the first encouraging step to realising that I can keep on growing without having to face a major chop to get rid of "damage" due to 2 years without a hair cut.

Another thing I really love and got from here is cold ACV (heavily diluted) rinses. Makes my hair lovely and soft, and the smell really doesn't linger after my hair has dried.

There's loads more but most of it has been mentioned already :)

(I lurked for a few months before joining by the way)

LutraLutra
September 17th, 2009, 09:35 AM
That white folks can oil their hair too.
That a pea sized blob of shampoo is plenty.
That a pea sized blob of conditoner is not anywhere near enough.
That weird green herbal goo that smells funny (aka cassia) makes my scalp really happy.
That you don't have to cut your hair every 6 weeks.
That cones make my hair dry, greasy and flat.
That a deep treatment you can make yourself (aka SMT) is better than any shop bought DT.
I could go on and on... :D

cindy58
September 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Learning about hair sticks at LHC was incredibly helpful! I never knew you could hold all your hair with a single stick!

Tess2319
September 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
How to diagnose my hair...
That the hair serums I was putting on it to make it look less dry were full of cones which would build up and make it look dry...
That the cone-free conditioner was CWC-ing with was full of protein (and panthenol) causing protein buildup and making my hair look dry...
Coconut oil!
Hairsticks! (I'm wearing today)...
That there are updos that uncoordinated me can do with this slippy, slippy hair that will stay! (I'm wearing one today)...

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I've learned a lot, but the best thing is CWC with diluted shampoo; no more dried-out, crazy, fly-away hair.

Eden Iris
September 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Throw away the silicone.
I don't need to trim every x weeks (and if I want to trim, I can do it myself).
Conditioners made from foodstuffs are awesome (and cheap).
My hair prefers to be up every day.
Henna is a miracle.

Medievalmaniac
September 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
SO much, that I can't even go into it all here, in terms of caring for my hair...but the very best (and most dangerous) thing I have learned is....the existence of HAIRTOYS!!!!!

Seriously...I mean, up until August of this year, I only had the vaguest of understandings that such things existed (I mean beyond the simple scrunchie-barrette-bobby pin regime) - but it had NEVER occurred to me that not only were they easily obtainable, but that I ought to have them and enjoy them and use them all the time!

Ahhhhhh......hairtoys. Even though I am even more broke now...thank you, LHC!!!

marikamt
September 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I have learned so many wonderful things... but the very, very best is moisturize!!! I had no idea how much moisture my hair needed...... an after-'poo conditioner was not enough...... and how much happy and prettier it is when I give the moisture it craves......

DarkChocolate
September 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
The best thing I learned from here is oiling my hair with coconut oil. It looks so much better as a result.

I also have switched exclusively to using natural ingredients on my hair as a result of what I have learned here. I have stopped blowdrying my hair and always let it airdry.

Little_Bird
September 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I don't know if it's a little off topic, but the best thing I've learned here was not to use a brush on my wavy hair...

Hurray!! :D
This place is great :grouphug:

ZenBird07
September 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
tahiti-iti.com !!! best prices for authentic monoi on the web that I've seen so far...

krn2891
September 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
How to CO
New buns
How to trim my own hair.

Toadstool
September 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
That hair comes in different textures, and mine isn't just failed straight hair.
That silver hair can be beautiful and I can stop dyeing mine.

Norai
September 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I learned that you can use henna on your hair. Best thing I ever did :p

Unofficial_Rose
September 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
That equal parts shea butter, coconut oil and aloe vera melted and mixed make a hair butter, a teeny amount of which can be applied over towel-dried hair. This then stops even highlighted hair from looking fried, and the benefits build up over time. No more coney serum for me!

As others have said, that you really don't have to trim it every few weeks. :rolleyes:

That being too lazy to torture it into the perfect style isn't a bad thing in the long run. (Ooops, pun!)

freckles
September 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
in my short time here, the BEST thing I've learned is how important it is to CONDITION. Lots and lots. I used to often wash my hair with shampoo and not condition afterwards, as my only haircare routine. *embarrassedface* My hair is already feeling better from lots and lots of conditioning :)

krissykins
September 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
The best thing I learned from LHC so far was TLC and COing the proper way. I had heard about the CG method and tried it, but doing it with cones didn't work. Thank you LHC :blossom:

Nyghtingale
September 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Henna! the bestest thing ever....and my tangle teaser.
Can't choose just 1.

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hairsticks, oil, hair forks, buns buns BUNS! :)

Rivanariko
September 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Aloe gel! I never ever ever would have thought of putting that in my hair, but when someone suggested it to hold fine hair instead of hair spray and said it left it feeling soft... well, I gave it a try and never looked back! My hair is in love with it!

But probably my #1 realization was that all of the things that I do to make my horses' tails grow long and thick (never brushing, minimal washing to keep them from drying out, tons of conditioner when you do wash them, and trimming/braiding them up when it's muddy to keep it from getting caught and breaking) can apply to my hair as well! So, most of the important changes I've made I already knew, just had never applied to human hair!

Leoneska
September 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM
In only two months I have learnt:

-Wear hair up as much as possible
-Use hairfriendly toys
-Detangle gently
-Always use a conditioner
-No heat drying/styling
-My hair does not like/need cones
-Fenugreek, catnip, cassia treatments
-Cutting does not make hair longer -> I do S&D instead :D
-Wash less
-Eat supplements

And so much more! My hair got so much happier!

julya
September 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I would never have tried CO, or horn combs.

Tomato
September 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Well, I learn that the best thing I learned here is to do as little as possible, meaning: Not to do what commercials trying to tell me.
With the help of lhc (and a german speaking, long hair related board) I was able to cut the cost of hair keeping dramaticly. A jar with organic coconaut oil cost much less than most conventional hair treaments and works much better for me.
And I love trying the recepies which are introduced here (henna mixtures, SMT, etc.). Even my husband enjoys every now and than a massage with a oil mixture with EOs.
Another very good thing I learned from here: There are so many people with gorgeous hair in this world ready to share their experience with others!

lovebug
September 24th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Shea butter, oils and honey!

sherigayle
September 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I've learned how to spend obscene amounts of money on hairtoys.:thumbsup:

jacqueline101
April 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I never thought I'd oil my hair and like vo5 shampoo again.

Audhumla
April 20th, 2013, 05:38 PM
For me definitely oiling and how much of a difference mechanical damage can make to your hair.
Being patient and gentle with my hair has been the #1 thing that has turned my hair around.
Along with realising that I don't have straight hair that's misbehaving and it takes more than a few days to go from frizzball to healthy waves.

Who would've thought that not ripping a plastic brush through my wet hair every morning before I hit it with the blowfryer would make it behave.
It's superhuman leaps of logic like that that I couldn't make on my own :lol:

Wanderlust
April 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I think the most helpful thing for me was to stop using hair dryers, flat irons, and curling irons. I didn't realize how much they were damaging my hair until I stopped using them completely.

PetuniaBlossom
April 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Coconut oil.
Tangle Teezer.
Vinegar rinses.
CWC.
Hairsticks/Buns.
And so much more.

ravenreed
April 20th, 2013, 08:52 PM
That my hair is wavy and to stop expecting it to act like straight hair.

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Detangling with a wide tooth comb, sleeping with my hair in a top knot, knoweledge about how much hair grows a year (as in, if you have 3 inches cut off, 2 times a year, your hair "wont grow")and tips on coloring my hair without much damage has been immensly helpful.

Seconding- wavy hair isnt disobedient straight hair.

WilfredAllen
April 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
That what works for one person's hair doesn't work for someone else's. I've learned lots of other specific things, but that one was the most important because it taught me to listen to my hair more than hair advice.

In terms of specific areas of knowledge, though, I think learning protein vs. moisture had helped me the most

ladyfey
April 23rd, 2013, 05:42 AM
That equal parts shea butter, coconut oil and aloe vera melted and mixed make a hair butter, a teeny amount of which can be applied over towel-dried hair. This then stops even highlighted hair from looking fried, and the benefits build up over time. No more coney serum for me!

As others have said, that you really don't have to trim it every few weeks. :rolleyes:

That being too lazy to torture it into the perfect style isn't a bad thing in the long run. (Ooops, pun!)

I realize that this is an old post, but I just made this concoction yesterday (coconut oil, shea nut butter and aloe) and man is it amazing for me! Thanks, Unofficial_Rose!

EndlessSunshine
April 23rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
I learned that my hair doesn't need expensive crap.

anitacs9101
April 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
The very best thing I've taken from this website is definitely brushing technique/tangle teezers. One of the reasons I used to cut my hair short all the time was because I am so tender headed and brushing from top to bottom just isn't an option :P This saved my hair. I would never be able to grow my hair long without it.

alexis917
April 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
That overbrushing can do serious damage, that oiling can be really helpful, and that I don't need to burn my savings on hair stuff (VO5 <3)

Fnugg
April 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
The importance of being patient when detangling hair.