PDA

View Full Version : Hair during intense sports? how to keep it from poking your eye out or slipping out?

indigonight
September 16th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I see that there is a gym and hair thread already here but I work out really intensely on my university's powerlifting team and have huge hair problems which the 99% male team don't understand.

I not only machines but mostly focus on intense and rapid movement training with a heavily loaded bar either benching, squatting or deadlifting and other stuff plus some strongperson training involving flipping tyres and logs n stuff (and let me dispel the myths no I'm not a hulk just very lean and toned, only women who take steroids and body build look like that).

This is a crazy work out and I cant find a way to make my hair stay put and not annoy me:
that means braids, pony tails are a no-no on squat and deadlift days as they a)get caught behind the bar b) swing into your eye when lifting etc.
Buns no matter how tight or pinned (I tried crown bun, easy bun, lazy bun, infinity bun, french twist, twistybun, braidybunfluffy style, padme's battle bun) always seem to fall out by the end of the session and then my sweaty dirty gym hands are grappling to put them into place as I have lots of layers in my hair- unless my hair is heavily oiled but oil plus sweat means crud dripping down your face.

Is there any kind of bun or hairstyle that would hold tight no matter how intense the movement is??

Darkhorse1
September 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
My cousin had this problem and she ended up getting one of those no slip hairbands--they are rubberized so they keep the hair from slipping. I don't need them as I can keep my hair out of my eyes with a helmet when I am active (I ride horses). My cousin uses the no slip hair elastics and no slip hair bands.

Another option would be to use a barrette to keep a section of the hair back for your bangs, then ponytail/bun/braid.

Good luck!

indigonight
September 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Darkhorserider thanks for the advice sounds like a good idea....

halo_tightens
September 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
How about a Buff?

I don't have one yet, but after seeing the demo video in their site, it looks promising!

Madame J
September 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I had a friend with BSL hair who wrestled in high school and before every match, I would French braid her hair for her and she would tuck it under a swim cap to keep it contained.

I love the Goody Stay-Put headbands to contain layers while I'm running. For my marathon, I had chin-length hair, so I put it up in high pigtails with Stay-Put elastics, and then wore a Stay-Put wide headband to keep my bangs out of my face. From 6:30 in the morning, until after noon, when I got home after the race and lunch, I never thought about my hair again, and the pigtails were still high and perky for my finish-line shots (I was less perky).

Now that my hair is longer, I French braid and put a Buff over my hair for long runs. I clip the Buff in place with bobbie pins (at the temples) and mini-claws (at the nape) to keep it from slipping off. Maybe one of these days I'll do a running style tutorial for my Buff-style.

teela1978
September 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
In the amish observations (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&highlight=amish+braids) thread there is a description of a very interesting braided updo that holds remarkably well. You might look into that and try it out.

Laylah
September 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Maybe you could do a regular braid, but fold it as many times as needed, so that it isn't long enough to do any harm. (I do this at the gym.) You could also try hair taping (easy) or a crown braid (hard.) good luck! :)

rhubarbarin
September 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I had this problem too when exercising and using like 9 things to hold my hair eventually started being reliable for me.

Try a tight braided bun with an elastic for the base, secured by a couple pins (I have Quattro anchor pins and they hold amazingly, Amish pins are cheaper and might work) or a tough fork, and a strong clip, with a rubberized headband and bobby pins holding back any hair around your face.

It won't be pretty but it will probably hold.

Tornerose
September 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
You could try Elizabethan Hair Taping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME)?

Fencai
September 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
best option ive found.... Pre-wrap.
I used in when I played LAX, tennis, heavy lifting (much like you do)
its WONDERFUL!!!!!
I think you can buy it at target now too. its the tape that looks like a neon colored ace-bandage.
stuff is awesome!

florenonite
September 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
A friend of mine used to do competitive gymnastics and had waist-length hair. She put her hair in a ponytail on the crown of her head, braided it, then tucked the braid under and secured the bottom of the braid to the top of the elastic, such that it was a loop that didn't get in the way. Perhaps you could try something like that?

bigevilgrape
September 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
A really tight french braid or pair of french braids would probobly work well. (I can never make a pretty very tight french braid tho.) A braid or bun paired with a headband or buff would probobly work well too. I find bandannas slip around on my head a lot and have a tendency to fall off.