PDA

View Full Version : Warning/Observation about Nair and Your Mane

Aer
September 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hello TLHC,
I know that good deal of you use a different method of getting rid of body hair than I do, but I'm sure there is some that use Nair or Veet. I want to warn those that do though, that it can be potentially damaging to your locks. This is what I mean-
When I Nair, I usually just pull my hair into a bun and get to rubbing the smelly chemical goo on my legs, usually like most bathrooms in the summer in the humid south, my bathroom gets kind of steamy/humid. I have noticed that even though the Nair doesn't get anywhere near my head, that after I rinse, and my hair drys there is a good amount of film and rough damage to my ends. I've noticed this several times, so it's not just a coincidence. It probably has something to do with the evaporated rising steam from the shower, and some of the chemicals from Nair rising with it as you rinse it off. This is my theory, but I'm no scientist. I
Anyway I just wanted to warn fellow growers, and I apologize if you already knew about this. I do still use Nair, but I double up on shower caps now.

maxzeen
September 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
hmm that makes a lot of sense! thank you for the warning

spidermom
September 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Lucky me - the stuff sets my skin on fire! So no danger to my hair.

Gypsy
September 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Lucky me - the stuff sets my skin on fire! So no danger to my hair.

Oooh! Same here. Nair and Veet- the stuff with the razorless blade. My skin starts itching/burning and stays that way for days after. The skin on my thigh is foverever rough after the last time I tried any of those because of the chemical burn.
At least my head hair is not at risk of the danger Aer posted.

Darkhorse1
September 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'll stick to razors, but that's a great warning post! Thanks for sharing it. My skin is so sensitive, I didn't even consider Nair or Veet as an option.

halo_tightens
September 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I had never thought of that-- thanks for the warning!!

I've tried such products a few times, but they never seem to get rid of all the hair. There are always a few rubbery stragglers remaining. If I leave it on for a longer time to try and fix that, it burns my skin. Can't win!

Either way, I'm very glad you mentioned this in case I decide to give it another go in the future.

Addy
September 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Add me to the list of peeps who can't use the stuff. It burns me like no ones business. :bigeyes:

clairenewcastle
September 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I simpley can't use the stuff for it BURNS, I only tried it once and that was once too many for me. Why I even tried it I don't know, well actually I do know...VANITY! Even as I slathered it on I wondered just how much of this chemical gunk was being absorbed into my body. It didn't take me long to find out for not only did my skin itch and burn I felt ill for hours afterwards.
That was quite a few years ago, I'd never buy anything like that now. A quick slide over a razor is all it takes. Never again!

Laylah
September 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm terrified by the hair "dissolving" stuff in Nair and have never tried it, so I sugar. But thanks for the warning anyway!

flyfaraway
September 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I had a horrible experience with nair a few years ago, and I don't use it much anymore.
Besides, it never seems to work correctly for me.

Heidi_234
September 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the warning, I guess I'm solidly staying with my RRRRRRR machine (thanks Nightshade for the name :lol:).

Aer
September 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
It is not something I normally use. But when I was pregnant with my son, and had the beach ball belly it was very hard to bend and stretch for long periods. ( My doctor assured me that it was fine to use when I was pregnant, as long as I didn't have a allergic reaction, or put it in certain "areas"). So for comfort, and since it involved only quick bending on my part, I used it. Now that I'm about to pop again with my daughter, she's due anytime, I find my self reaching for that pink smelly bottle. It can burn, I know. And it smells horrendous, I'm hoping that last night was the last time I needed to use it, and I'll have my baby before I need to get rid of stubble. After my c-section, I'll just go fuzzy for a month because it is a hassle just to bath off after those, so forget being smooth!

I just wanted to warn you guys, cause although I haven't had anything devastating happen to my hair yet from the use of Nair, there might be some of you with extra fragile strands, and I don't want to see a sad thread that reads "I Wanted Smooth Legs & I Got a Smooth Head Instead".

butterflycayton
September 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the warning, I was thinking of giving it a try again. Guess I'll stick with the razor

UncommonTart
September 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Ooh, Nair... I remember trying that stuff... I began to bleed from the follicles all over my legs. It looked grotesque- like someting out of an E. A. Poe story. Itched like heck for weeks, too. Ugh... never doing THAT again.

At least my hair is safe, though.