PDA

View Full Version : Wavy girls.. do you have a few straight locks?

ambychelle
September 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
My hair isn't exactly curly, but it's got a lot of natural wave and even a few well defined curls. But there are a few odd chunks of hair that never curl or wave and they look so out of place! I've even considered perming in some body to these pieces :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this issue?? Do you curl those locks with an iron or just leave them be?

spidermom
September 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Oh yes, I've got areas ranging all the way from 1A to 3A on my head. I used to straighten it. Now I let it be. It starts out curly/wavy/crazy but the more often I comb it out/bun it, the straighter it becomes. Or I can braid it for lovely waves. Oh, and if I take the time after washing/conditioning, I can twirl strands around my fingers and encourage ringlets to form. It's very versatile hair and not worth the risk of damage from perms or heat styling in my opinion.

Syaoransbear
September 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
The front of my hair is pretty straight, but the back of my head has a piece that's full of ringlets. The only thing I can do about it is try not to let it bother me!

Rohele
September 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The front and top of my hair is quite curly and forms ringlets, it is less wavy in the back. The under layer of my hair is almost completely straight. Usually I'll just let it be. If I feel particularly ambitious I'll try to coax some more curl into the less wavy parts, but it's not usually worth the effort. Mine's like spidermom's - the more I manipulate it (combing, putting it up) the straighter it becomes - I usually don't have really defined waves beyond the first day after washing anyway.

mira-chan
September 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I have some pieces stay straight at random. I just ignore them or braid my hair damp. I hardly wear it down so it doesn't matter. I have never put any heat styling tool to my hair and not about to start.

atlantaz3
September 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
My crown hair is very straight - the under layers are wavy. I too have considered perming the top to match - but my one and only experience with a perm left me looking like a poodle (darn 80's)

AutumnFire
September 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
My hair tangles very easy so having a few strands that are out of place would be a blessing

JamieRose
September 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Oh yeah- the hair near my face is much wavier, and in the back can go almost 1a on me. It's kind of like Spidermom said, though, it's very versatile, I can get straight hair by combing when damp/dry, and wavy hair that stays by scrunching or twisting, or just braiding damp. Even though it's frizzy and floaty, I try to keep looking at the positives! Not worth the damage IMO to perm it. Then that hair would be velcro-y and usually perms fade anyways... so then it would just stick out even more (I think).

ambychelle
September 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have some pieces stay straight at random. I just ignore them or braid my hair damp. I hardly wear it down so it doesn't matter. I have never put any heat styling tool to my hair and not about to start.

AH! Braiding thos pieces while damp is a fabulous idea! I'm going to give that a try. Now why didn't I think of that?!

These pieces wouldn't even bother me but they are pretty big hunks and refuse to be coaxed into a curle or wave.

ambychelle
September 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Oh gosh! I just realized because I'm new that I can't edit my posts to correct typos! Yikes, I'll have to be more careful. *lol*

DavidN
September 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I hope you don't mind a guy answering your thread, Ambychelle.

In answer to your question, my hair is generally fairly wavy, but I have some fairly straight hair in some areas. Also, my hair is straighter the dryer the weather is, and is actually quite curly in high humidity. I just let everything stay natural, and stay far away from straightening irons, since I suffered damage from using one in the early portion of my long hair growing journey.

Armelle
September 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Yep. My hair is nearly stick straight in the front, top area...I guess where my bangs (fringe) would be if I had some. It refuses to curl or anything much beyond a slight wave. Most of my hair is very wavy, top to bottom. The under-layer is rather curly I'm discovering.

Babyfine
September 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, I have several underneath locks that would classify as 1B and they're smoother and sleeker than the hair around my face, that's 2c. and tends to frizz.
I always figured this is why my hair tends to look so messy and unkempt when I leave it down-besides being so darned fine. I used to perm to get uniform curls and volume but now I just do rag curls or braid waves.

rhubarbarin
September 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, I have a patch of barely-wavy, fine, honey blonde hair growing right above the nape of my neck. It's so nice and silky! The rest of my hair is either medium dark-blonde hairs or coarse light brown ones, and they are mostly curls and s-waves.

Stephichan
September 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I definitely have that. My canopy is more likely to wave (and sometimes curl) whereas the underlayer often is darker, shinier, and straighter. I'm kind of fascinated by all the different textures, so I usually just leave it be.

indigonight
September 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have loads of layers (which I hate, trying to grow them out) my longest lengths wave and curl beautifully however my shorter layers dont which makes me want to grow out my layers even more!! I have also noticed that if a strand of hair gets too many spilt ends then it will go a weird half wavey-half straight so I snip it and then it usually looks better.

Pixna
September 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Oh yeah! I have almost every texture imaginable on my head. I'm trying to make peace with my wurlies, but those darned stick-out-straight bits make me crazy. I wish my hair were one extreme or the other, but it just can't seem to make up its mind, so it stays in the middle, with a little of everything. Drives me bonkers! :crazyq:

klcqtee
September 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Oh yes, I can relate to this! My hair can be brushed straight pretty easily, and there are certain places on the underside that just don't lay straight,opposite probelm situation with curly hair.

Elphie
September 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
My hair likes to take sides. The left side is thicker and straighter while the right side is thinner yet more wavy. The left side has always been easier to coax into what ever I'm trying to do while the right side is always the battle.

mira-chan
September 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
AH! Braiding thos pieces while damp is a fabulous idea! I'm going to give that a try. Now why didn't I think of that?!

These pieces wouldn't even bother me but they are pretty big hunks and refuse to be coaxed into a curle or wave.
You can also damp bun for larger waves. :flower:

maskedrose
September 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Oh yes, I've got those. Most of my hair is 2b/2c, but I have a few pieces on the right side of my face that are straight, as well as a few chunks in my canopy. Drives me nuts sometimes, but usually I just ignore them.

Bellona
September 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ugh, the story of my life! My canopy is fairly straight especially above my ears and in the back. The sides are very wavy and the underlayer is very wavy with a lot of actual spirals. It seems as if I'm always fighting my hair to go completely wavy/curly or completely straight. Braiding is definitely a good idea!