PDA

View Full Version : crazy question about highlights from a newbie

curlytiff27
September 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new to the fourm but have been a lurker for some time. I have a crazy question. Does anyone know if having a deep conditioner mixed into your highlight mix could make your hair seem softer? I know it sounds weird so I will explain. About 2 weeks ago actually less I got my roots touched up. This time she put a deep conditioning treatment into my highlight mix. I have curly hair so I notice that it doesn't hold my curl as well at the roots. I also have very fine hair too. so I notice it. I also want to make sure I'm not crazy and loosing my mind. As I have been obsessing over thinking I was going bald lately because I had begged my hair dresser to give my layers. Well I have always had blunt cuts due to my curly. Well little did I know that the layers would make my hair seem thinner or rather less of it there. Its not her fault at all...I asked for them but never realised I guess. Well I also have a cowlick in the back that I had convinced myself that it was a bald Spot. I even found a picture of me at 4 or 5 years old with this same cowlick showing through. I've always loved my hair and I'll admit, i'm a bit vain aboot it because its a big part of me. Anyone ever go through any of these feelings fears or am I loosing it?

I appreciate any advice!

Tiffany

spidermom
September 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Welcome to LHC. I don't know anything about getting highlights, except that I did it once and my hair floufed up like cotton candy. Layers can definitely make it feel like you have less hair. I've also noticed that my hair feels less heavy after I've used conditioner on it. I think it contains ingredients that help hair to shed water.

heatherdazy
September 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Mixing hair conditioner into lightener would only serve to lower the peroxide level, meaning it would take longer to achieve the color you're looking for. It wouldn't make it gentler or improve your hair in any way, and if some stylist is trying to sell you on this, frankly, they're bs-ing you big time.

Layers definitely lean out your hair and if you have very thin hair, lots of layering is generally not a good idea.

Not sure what your actual question was. Sorry.

curlytiff27
September 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replys. As for the conditioner leaning out the mix, that would explain why my highlights don't look as light as normal. They don't yet almost have a tinge of red to them. This would also explain why they don't feel the same as the rest of my hair which is a lighter color. Thanks for the insight on that heatherdazy!

curlytiff27
September 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Oh and please forgive any typos and misspellings...I am doing this all from my cell phone!

StellaReade
September 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
OMG, that's so bizarre, Tiffany!! I totally relate, I have a cowlick on the back of my head, it's hard core, I have to REALLY work at it to get it covered. My hair always wants seperate and show my scalp there, and I am pretty obsessed with it. Someone made a comment about me going bald one time, and that was devastating to me. I know it's not, because I don't shed much, but..it still bugs me. I don't go anywhere without a pocket mirror to use to look at the back of my head. My hair is really fine, as well, but wavy straightish.

curlytiff27
September 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
OMG, that's so bizarre, Tiffany!! I totally relate, I have a cowlick on the back of my head, it's hard core, I have to REALLY work at it to get it covered. My hair always wants seperate and show my scalp there, and I am pretty obsessed with it. Someone made a comment about me going bald one time, and that was devastating to me. I know it's not, because I don't shed much, but..it still bugs me. I don't go anywhere without a pocket mirror to use to look at the back of my head. My hair is really fine, as well, but wavy straightish.

YAY!!!Someone like me!! :-) you have no idea how comforting it was to just read your post!! I have a little white pocket mirror sitting next to me here on my desk! Right when I was getting close to needing a root touch up and of course a trim I had been wearing a hat to the gym. Well one night I noticed that may ends looked horribly thin and then while looking at the back in two mirrors I saw my dreaded spot! For the past month I have been going crazy and crying and all!! I even swicthed shampoos and everything thinking gee maybe the girl with the big hair is actually going bald. Keep in bind I'm only 27 and no health concerns other than stress. Well I have always been a big shedder mainly because I would brush wet hair. Well now I only finger comb. Also, I started taking msm and that has helped sooo much. I wear a lot of products in my hair, I will admit it, so I could easily loose the 100 a day. I am down to maybe 10- 15 a day while washing. Its amazing. I live in SC now but am originally from PA. Back home we had hard sulfur water. Sulfur is great for your hair in terms of growth from what I have read. That's one reason I went on msm...its a sulfur compound. So yes...I am super self concious about my spot. I think I have been driving my husband crazy...every 5 minutes I ask him to make sure I still have hair there and make him promise that's he's not lying and just telling me its fine. LOL! I never noticed its much until that night...that's the weird thing. Ever since then...I've been a mess between that and the volume of my hair is gone compared to before I requested layers for some stupid reason! So I'm now on a mission to grow my layers back out to blunt cuts only and then hopefully to waistline!

atlantaz3
September 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
My last highlights my hairdresser added a shot of silicon to the mix. I worried a bit about that - but answers here helped. Since I use cones it didn't really hurt or help. I wonder if hairdresser (less experienced at highlights) wanted to slow down the chemical process to prevent over bleaching.

curlytiff27
September 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
My last highlights my hairdresser added a shot of silicon to the mix. I worried a bit about that - but answers here helped. Since I use cones it didn't really hurt or help. I wonder if hairdresser (less experienced at highlights) wanted to slow down the chemical process to prevent over bleaching.

I use cones too. I had mentioned to her I switched to sls free shampoos so she may have done it for that reason or as well because I asked her if I should have her do a deep conditioning treatment that day too...one where they put you under the dryer. She's been doing my hair for about 3 years...I trust her with my life LOL! After reading what heatherdazy mentioned about it lowering the peroxid level and it not bleaching as well it made more sense to me. Since posting this I've had a lot of great answers on here and relief too. I'm so attached to my hair that I have actually had a loss of appetite over thinking I was loosing my hair. Also, I am not one that can do the sulfate free shampoos. It did define my curls more but my volume wasn't there and after loosing so much of it due to having her add layers I about went crazy. I've learned a hard lesson and I don't take my hair for granted and I will never do layers again. Not for me. :-)