PDA

View Full Version : S&D Question

peachrose
September 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I S&D my hair regularly trimming off splits and those little white dots that will eventually become a split. I have a mixture of very coarse and medium hair.

I've noticed that many of the coarse hairs have what looks like a white dot on the end. I have been snipping off the tip (with hair scissors) but the new blunt cut looks exactly the same. :rolleyes: I've snipped higher up on the hair and still the end appears whitish.

Just to clarify the end looks very blunt and almost as if the light is reflecting off and making it appear white. They don't look frayed or split at all. I do have some damage from heat styling but it's usually more apparent throughout my finer textured hair which is where I find most of the "traditional" splits and white ends.

I apologize that this is a little vague. I've tried to take a close up picture of these ends but they don't turn out clearly. I think that it may simply be how the ends are naturally and that it isn't damage at all, but I am not sure. I would love to know if anyone have experienced this with their own hair or has any ideas for me. Thanks! :flower:

mira-chan
September 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
How sharp are your scissors?

I have coarse hair and get the weird post cut write dot if the scissors are blunt as it frays the end a bit. The fraying could be also from the past damage facilitated by the cut, the cuticle being weaker, it frays slightly.

peachrose
September 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
How sharp are your scissors?

I have coarse hair and get the weird post cut write dot if the scissors are blunt as it frays the end a bit. The fraying could be also from the past damage facilitated by the cut, the cuticle being weaker, it frays slightly.

They are new scissors, not super expensive, but hair cutting ones. Maybe they are not sharp enough even though they are new?

Teacherbear
September 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
If your hair (or a good number of your hairs) keeping looking the same way and you are using really sharp for-hair-only scissors, then maybe that is just how your hair is.

I decided that with my hair. My hair (and I mean each one) twists. From one angle it looks like it has been sliced thin, but my hair swirls like a stretched out corkscrew. It looks wider and thinner, really it just grows that way. I trimmed those hairs for a few S&Ds, but then decided to leave those alone.

This is one reason I always tell people to pay attention to their own hair and see what works. My hair is weird, and I can't do the same things that others can.

I hope that helps.

peachrose
September 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Teacherbear Thanks, that does help. I have some of those twisty strands going on too! It looks like the individual hairs have been flattened and appear wider then thinner. Strange hair...

I suppose I will just keep S&D the regular splits and monitor these white ends to see if they become splits or just stay the way they are. Thanks for both your replies and if anyone else has any ideas feel free to chime in!

inspiral
September 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
same thing happens with my hair. sometimes cutting off a whitish end works, and sometimes it still looks kinda whitish. i think thats just the way those hairs are, maybe its that they are courser, or maybe a lighter pigmentation, or combination of both?

ravenreed
September 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I feel for bumps. Sometimes the light reflects off my hair and makes it look like a white dot, but it isn't. So if it is bumpy at the end, snip snip.

Heidi_234
September 16th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Yes, I get those too, and my scissors are fairly new. I had the same theory as you - the light reflects on the tip as if there's a white dot there. There also might be "white dots" that you trim which are actually light playing with your eyes. But no worries - trimming hair can't really hurt anyway, whether it was already damaged or not.

bluewhiteblue
September 21st, 2009, 01:18 AM
I feel for bumps too. Take the strand and slide your fingernail over the suspected bump. If it gets caught, snip it. I've got blonde hair and sometimes light reflections (particularly on the tips) can look like splits or dots.