PDA

View Full Version : I'm back; still have my hair!

Runzel
September 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Some of you might remember I posted a while back about possibly having to shave off my hair, after I had to use a commercial product on it and then had severe reactions to the chemicals that would not wash out.

I'm happy to report that I still have it and it is no longer making me ill!

After trying everything we could think of, the thing that actually helped in the end was the activated carbon powder. It was a welcome break from the unpleasant symptoms, but it wouldn't wash out completely, so for the next several weeks after that everything that touched my hair got charcoal smudges and running my fingers through my hair gave them a stylish black sheen. :rolleyes: I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice and use a commercial product to get it out, so I just waited patiently for it all to "wear" out, which took a few weeks.

Then I had another problem: all the baking soda washes, clay soaks, charcoal, and everything else I had put on my hair up to several times a day in a desperate attempt to wash out the chemicals had basically ruined it. No matter how many oil treatments I did, nothing was getting it back to the way it was before this whole fiasco. At this point I decided to take a break and do some benign neglect...I just didn't want to think about hair for a while, which is the main reason I've been off here for so long.

A few weeks ago I grudgingly concluded that I had to resolve my hair situation. It was so far gone that I was spending several hours a day detangling which was not feasible for me. Realizing that none of my "safe" ingredients were working with my hair, I went on the hunt for a hair conditioner I could tolerate, mainly just looking for an oil/water emulsion, because I was pretty sure that's what my hair needed. I was pleasantly surprised to discover one company with a basic formula that they were willing to customize just for me, and it actually ended up being cheaper than their listed price! When it came I tested it cautiously, and I discovered that my reaction is minimal--it takes a straight hour of inhaling the fumes before I even begin to get the slightest headache...for me, that's really good.

So I tried it, and my hair is even better than before! It now makes lovely ringlet curls whereas before it was frizzy, and is now much easier to detangle! After a single treatment where I saturated my hair in a mixture of the conditioner and coconut oil for several hours, I've found that I only need to touch up every one or two weeks on problem areas, which is totally manageable.:cheese:

So thank you all for your support and suggestions! I'm back and ready to talk hair again. :D

SHELIAANN1969
September 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Runzel, yay yay and way to go! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I am glad you are back and well and hairy! ;)

EvaSimone
September 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Wonderful news! :cheer:

I was wondering what had happened to you and how you solved your problem. Hooray!!! :cheese:

Unzadi
September 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
That's wonderful news! I'm glad things worked out for the best.

Kiraela
September 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
:cheese: I'm so happy you found a solution, Runzel! I found your thread late, and wondered what had happened.

melrose1985
September 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Glad to hear you found something and that you are doing well!

wintersun99
September 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM

swanns
September 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm so glad you're finally able to enjoy your hair again! :joy:

Welcome back, it's great to have you back again :)

mellie89
September 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I saw your other thread, I'm so glad everything worked out for you and that you didn't cut your hair! :)

ratgirldjh
September 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yay! Welcome back :)

Addy
September 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm so happy you didn't have to shave your head!

Enjoy your hair! :)

Canarygirl
September 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
that's excellent news! :)

Now, what will be your regular method of cleaning your hair, or will you use water-only, sebum-only, or other alternative method?

longhairedfairy
September 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Wow! I'm so glad to hear this! That's great that the company could even customize their product for you!

maxzeen
September 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
awesome to hear that you are doing so well! I'm glad everything worked out for you

Melisande
September 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm glad to hear it, too. I was really worried about you.

Runzel
September 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

Now, what will be your regular method of cleaning your hair, or will you use water-only, sebum-only, or other alternative method?

So far what's working for me is WO 1-3 times a week. I've never had a problem with greasiness; my difficulty has always been dry hair, so I don't plan to give up any more oil, sebum or otherwise, than I have to. :grin:

Although if I ever do need it I would probably use soapnuts, and if that didn't work, clay.

Tangles
September 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
What good news! It's also interesting to read what worked to save the damage; sometimes very simple care is best.

Nightshade
September 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I had wondered how that had all panned out. Thank you so much for the update! That's wonderful news :)

WritingPrincess
September 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Welcome back! I'm so glad you found a solution. I was wondering about you. I hope you never have to deal with the same problem again.

Xandergrammy
September 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
How wonderful that you found such a good solution! Welcome back!

Wanderer09
September 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yay! I read your other thread a while back, and I'm so happy for you. :)

klcqtee
September 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear you're feeling better!
If you don't mind sharing, what is the company/brand that is willing to work with you? Your curls becoming less frizzy and more amazing make a tempting sales pitch to the curious.

klcqtee
September 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
If you don't mind sharing, what is the company/brand that is willing to work with you? Your curls becoming less frizzy and more amazing make a tempting sales pitch to the curious.

Runzel
September 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Well, that "sales pitch" concerning my curls should be tempered by the fact that my hair hasn't been able to get anywhere near hair conditioner for over three years until this point, so I really needed it. I am of the opinion that basically any good water/oil emulsion would have done the trick.

But I do highly recommend the company with their excellent customer service: Organic Creations. Here (http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-1437/all-natural-hair-conditioner/Detail)'s their conditioner base. Since it's already made fresh for each order it appears to be little extra trouble for them to change ingredients. I ended up doing water instead of aloe vera, olive oil instead of jojoba, coconut oil instead of babassu butter, and having them leave out the collagen and panthenol DL. The resulting product is thick and heavy.

I suspect I'm just biased because this is the first "real" product I've had in such a long time, and my hair actually needed a "real" product. So I'm happy. :D

Quixii
September 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm so glad! I was wondering what ever happened to you. :)

Elenna
September 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I am so glad for you. Sometimes, we have to do detective work to figure out the clues, and doesn't it make you feel good when you find the answer and solve the problem.

Stormsong
September 16th, 2009, 03:42 AM
So glad to hear that your much better and with your hair intact!

Also so very glad to hear that out of this bad period you've found a very good positive in finding a company willing to work with you to get a product you could use.

going gray
September 16th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Wonderful news, happy to hear everything worked out for you.

Altocumulus
September 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I, too, was wondering how things had turned out. Thanks for letting us know, and welcome back!

Periwinkle
September 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm so glad you managed to sort it out! I remember your previous thread and how hopeless the situation seemed. It just goes to show...

lora410
September 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I remember you :D I am soo glad everything worked out for you.

Runzel
September 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you so much everyone! :)

frodolaughs
September 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm glad your back and that your hair is healthy.