PDA

View Full Version : Weird split end behavior

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Has anybody ever done this: snipped above a split, and the hair immediately opened in a split again? This just happened to me twice (put the scissors down, spidey; back away).

A split end sometimes travels further up a hair shaft than it appears.

Kimberly
September 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM
This has happened to me many times. Sometimes I have to snip three or occasionally four times to get the whole split. Incidentally, I haven't had this problem since I switched to WO . . . splits and shedding are both greatly reduced for me.

Lamb
September 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Perhaps the split was longer, but the hair shaft didn't "open" before you snipped - kinda like a zipper, if you know what I mean. :eyebrows:

Sheltie_Momma
September 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
this happens to me. My splits are because of using the flat iron, so the damage goes a long way up.

girloctopus
September 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I had that happen last time I did a S&D. I had to take a break because it was frustrating!

Heidi_234
September 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Sometimes I have two fine hairs pretending to be one with the end split. But if I come across one like you mentioned, Spidermom, it would be a first. And keep trimming, these splits have no place in your hair.

heatherdazy
September 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
This could possibly be caused by low quality, dull, or out of alignment shears. I once had a coworker who refused to pay to have his one and only pair of shears sharpened (it's usually only about $40!) and his clients would be back three weeks later with a head full of splits.

I have to have mine sharpened every 4 months or so. Obviously, you're only using them on yourself so they won't go dull as quickly, but if you've had them a few years, used them on anything besides hair, or dropped/bumped them, it's certainly a possibility.

Check them by wetting toilet paper with a spray bottle. Snip into the paper, then once the shears are closed, slowly pull them straight down. If you get a clean cut with no ripping, they're fine. Anything else and there's something wrong.

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
This could possibly be caused by low quality, dull, or out of alignment shears. I once had a coworker who refused to pay to have his one and only pair of shears sharpened (it's usually only about $40!) and his clients would be back three weeks later with a head full of splits.

I have to have mine sharpened every 4 months or so. Obviously, you're only using them on yourself so they won't go dull as quickly, but if you've had them a few years, used them on anything besides hair, or dropped/bumped them, it's certainly a possibility.

Check them by wetting toilet paper with a spray bottle. Snip into the paper, then once the shears are closed, slowly pull them straight down. If you get a clean cut with no ripping, they're fine. Anything else and there's something wrong.

How much toilet paper? One ply? Two? A single square or several?

Anje
September 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ooh, I like this toilet paper test.... Guess what I'm doing tonight!

I sometimes get splits like that. For me, I think it's sometimes something like an "eyelet" split within the hair, and then the hair also has a split end. Cutting into the eyelet will give an instant new split.

heatherdazy
September 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
One square should be fine unless you have very long shears. You just need enough to test the whole length of the blade. I can't imagine ply would matter much.

girloctopus
September 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wow that trick totally worked, heatherdazy! My scissors are nice and sharp and made a very clean cut.

rach
September 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
i've got some convex scissors ( blades at 45-50 degree angle scissors) , suppose to cut more than crush the ends when cutting off split ends. results personally are doing well.
i got the information from one of nightshades posts when i was looking for some good scissors http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=222999&postcount=3 on the good brand for haircutting scissors? thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9990&highlight=convex+scissors)

KarpatiiSiv
September 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I sometimes get splits like that. For me, I think it's sometimes something like an "eyelet" split within the hair, and then the hair also has a split end. Cutting into the eyelet will give an instant new split.

Yeh, that is exactly what I think happens as well. I've had a few like this myself and the split that appears after cutting of the original split is usually quite a deep one.:(

mimi1153
September 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Oooh, thanks for the suggestion for checking scissors - - now if I can only remember this when mine start to dull??!!! :confused: (they are brand new). :)

1nuitblanche
September 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Like a few others, I also occasionally get these "eyelet" splits that are just like splits that start (and end) part way up the hair shaft.

clairenewcastle
September 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I totally agree with the way this thread is going, in other words IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE QUALITY OF THE SCISSORS. Or should I say to the SHARPNESS of the scissors. Took me years to realise this. Split ends fascinate me. I love my S and D sessions. I've seen some horrendous split ends in my time ie multiple splits, complete breakdown of the individual hair shaft etc. The purchase of professional hairdressing scissors has lessenened the severity of my split ends in that they are less dramatic in their shape, don't travel so far up the hair shaft etc. Yes, I get eyelet splits also...in fact I've had a number of eyelet splits on the one single hair strand...Keep searching and destroying with the sharpest possible scissors - it's the only way.

longhairedfairy
September 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I don't think I've ever had this happen.

:agape: Only? :shudder: It would be cheaper for me to buy a new pair of scissors every time.

physicschick
September 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Perhaps the split was longer, but the hair shaft didn't "open" before you snipped - kinda like a zipper, if you know what I mean. :eyebrows:

Yup, mine do this too. (One of many reasons I don't bother with S&D... :) )

GlassEyes
September 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM

:agape: Only? :shudder: It would be cheaper for me to buy a new pair of scissors every time.
From what I gather from my sister, professional hair scissors can be a bit more costly than the norm, and heatherdazy is a stylist, so... :shrug:

heatherdazy
September 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Most hair shears range anywhere from $300-900. I assumed that's what you guys were using, since everyone calls them hair shears.

longhairedfairy
September 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
From what I gather from my sister, professional hair scissors can be a bit more costly than the norm, and heatherdazy is a stylist, so... :shrug:
Ah. I can't imagine affording that, but for a stylist that would be an investment, certainly. Sort of like a ton of expensive point shoes for a ballet dancer. LOL.

spidermom
September 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Oh woe; I did the test and my scissors are not sharp. All the hours of S&D I recently did is for naught!