PDA

View Full Version : No brushing or combing?

motormuffin
September 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I was reading about combs and I just realized that I neither brush or comb my hair. Is that odd? I usually just run my fingers through it in the shower with conditioner and put some oil on the ends when I get out.

CurlyMoo
September 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Many people have ditched their combs and brushes. I don't comb unless it's wash day and I use a detangling Denman brush occassionally on wash day as well. I've retained more length and thicker hair than ever. Have you ever used combs and brushes? What is the difference in your hair?

Spring
September 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
This is very interesting....

Zéphine
September 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I don't use a brush or comb either. I think that the majority on here use detangling tools at least sometimes, but finger-combing only is by no means unheard of. Not sure about the numbers, though.

heidihug
September 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I do only one thorough brushing every other day or so, before washing, plus I quickly use it each morning to help put my hair up. But I couldn't give up the brush totally. My hair is way too long and fine, and I don't have the time to spend an hour hand-detangling. And it looks terrible unless it is in a sleek updo, as it is very straight. The sleek look is nearly impossible to achieve without a comb or brush.

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I can't get away with that. #1 I drag more hairs out with my fingers than with a smooth comb and #2 tangles can become knots if I'm not careful about getting my hair thoroughly combed out.

At your length, I could probably have managed better with fingers only than I do now.

Heidi_234
September 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Not odd at all, I used to do it for years before LHC. I didn't even have a brush or a comb of speak of back then. LHC kind of ruined it for me, but otherwise I would've probably carried on with no brushing/combing, as it seems to put less stress on the hair.

hmmm
September 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I only ever comb my hair because my scalp gets annoying, but I would go without it if I could. I'm trying to get my scalp back to whatever is 'normal', but massaging and stuff doesn't really work as well as a comb, even if it is a wide-toothed comb.
I'm sure its not bad for your hair or scalp if it doesn't need it. I often only finger comb my hair, I just comb it maybe once a day.

marikamt
September 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I comb prior to washing (very wide tooth, seamless)... and then after washing (while wet).... other than that, finger comb or once in a while run above comb thru..... funny, the more I moisturize, the less I need to use anything but my fingers........

manething
September 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
My hair seems to like finger combing best: less breakage, but it's hard to get all of the tangles. Maybe if I wore my hair bound more often then I'd be less tangley? Anyhow, I carefully comb, brush, and finger comb alternately. I did find that careful selection of comb and brush makes a big difference in the condition of my hair. Wooden, seamless and with big teeth seems to work best. I remember having a lot of trouble finding a wooden comb under $30 :( . So, I made my own! Currently I use one my sister made for me <3

Juneii
September 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
since my hair is stick straight I can get away with just rolling out of bed, and stumbling into class. but I like to comb it with a wide tooth comb to make it smooth

RuthieAnne
September 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I ditched my brush awhile ago and was only using my fingers. Then I started WO and needed something more than my fingers to break up the wax build up. I bought a BBB and that helped some but it is not as big a brush as I would like and doesn't really penetrate. I use my fingers to de-tangle and then a comb to distribute sebum. The air is getting dry now and my hair is very dry and tangly at the bottom. I have started NW/SO and plan to do a SMT soon. I really miss just using my fingers, even when I de-tangle first using the comb causes my hair to break. I'm hoping NW will help for the time being and that the SMT will be effective. Dry weather is NOT kind to my hair.

God bless,

~Ruthie

funnybunny668
September 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I've always liked to encourage my natural waviness, so I don't brush or comb, I just use my fingers. When it was longer, I detangled on wash day (CO wash every 3rd day) in the shower with a shower comb & plenty of conditioner. It's too short to curl much now, but I still encourage what wave I can get out of it.

MandaMom2Three
September 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've just discovered that I can not CAN NOT brush my hair or even comb it once it's dry (or even drying) or I will frizz out! I brush JUST before a wash to get the loose hair out best I can (less hairy butt bunnies to deal with :rolleyes: ) then after I wash I "detangle" with a wide toothed wood comb (not really much to detangle, it just slides right on through) then scrunch in something to help define the curls and then try as hard as I can NOT TO TOUCH IT again! If I give in to temptation I'll have to rewet and rescrunch :p

Runzel
September 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I would go without if I could, so if you can (and you want to) then I see that as a good thing!

For me the main thing is my shed hairs cause tangles if I don't comb them out on a semi-regular basis. The bare minimum for me is finger combing every other day and thouroughly combing once a week with a wide-toothed comb in the shower.

TheEndlessOcean
September 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Lately the only time I've even been touching my hair is when I'm in the shower and it's soaked in conditioner. It can take a while to detangle it because I don't do it during the day, but it's not too bad and puts a lot less stress on my hair than I used to when I combed and brushed it when it was dry. If I do anything to my hair after it's dry my curls get angry :p

shaybabe8604
September 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I just recently stopped finger combing only. I had completely abandoned the idea of using a comb or brush on my hair, but I have found that now my hair will fight amongst itself if I don't detangle using a comb or paddle brush. I often catch the curls attempting to strangle each other so I try to finger comb 2-3 times per week and get at least one good brushing in weekly. I was afraid that excessive brushing would break my delicate curl off, but I actually extracted about 50 hairs from my brush and all but four of them were shed and not broken. I hope that I can perfect a method that will eliminate the breakage, but I guess four broken hairs isn't the complete end of the world...:p

Quixii
September 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Now I only comb in the shower (when I remember). I used to brush it every day. I can't help but think that some peoples' hair just doesn't want/like/need to be brushed or combed. I definitely feel like my hair is better for it. :)

RocketDog
September 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I tried fingercombing exclusively - I made it a week before I gave up and broke out the comb. My hair tangles much too easily and it so fine and fragile that fingercombing just doesn't work.

mira-chan
September 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I finger comb only. I think I've picked up a comb 5 times in the last 6 months. 2 times to scritch because my scalp was acting weird (season change and airplane travel). The other times to smooth an up do a bit so not even full combing.

I have never regularly brushed, I just tried it a few times and it didn't agree with my hair.

fluffybunny
September 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I don't brush, comb, or even do much fingercombing. I just shake it out a little in the morning, and if it looks wild, I spritz with water and sort of smooth & twist it all together. That restores the wave usually. If I do much else with it I get a fluffy frizzball.

Little_Bird
September 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Well, finger combing is definitly a detangling method. You can do it with great results :) To me, finger combing doesn't feel like it does a good job in detangling all my hair, so i really have to use the comb.

As long as your getting good results, keep doing what you're doing! :flower: