View Full Version : What's my length?

Katze
April 18th, 2008, 01:32 AM
hi all,

because of my taper, U - to - V shaped hemline, layers, etc. I am still not at all sure how long my hair is. ("it's LONG, ok?!?" - it has never been this long in my life!)

The front short layers are around APL. I've got layers in the back ("thanks, shag cut of 2004") which are about shoulder now.

However, the longest layers (the tip of the V) are past BSL and, if I tilt my head back, they are at waist. I am very short waisted, so this doesn't make a difference.

When I measured the various lengths I came up with 30" is waist, 27" is full BSL (hair covering the strap). My hair is now about 26", with the longest layers somewhat more - but this is still about 15 individual hairs, so I don't feel like I can say my hair is that long.

I've been trimming less now, but still trying to get rid of the thin ends and taper, and it seems like I was "almost BSL" at 23, 24, 25 inches...! The good news is that when I came here the same taper was from chin to shoulder, while now it's APL to BSL.

So what IS my length? Hair is 26 inches (average of the longest 2 layers). Am I BSL? APL? Something else?

Katze
April 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
here is a link to a pic - about one month ago

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2785/washedhair0327xs5.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=washedhair0327xs5.jpg)

Lixie
April 18th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I reckon it's at BSL, if only just. Looking very nice too, Katze. :)

Nat242
April 18th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I selected "It's past BSL because of the longest hairs", however this is probably due to the fact that if that is true, I can call myself waist length :p

Seriously though, you're at BSL, maybe a tad more. It's hard to know. I may be at waist (almost, not sure), but I don't really feel like I am yet :shrug:

It's looking good! From the way you talk about your hair sometimes, I never expect it to be as lovely as it is.

I have hair-rexia. Maybe you do too? :flowers:

-- Natalie

Rosetta
April 18th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I chose "It's BSL, silly", although I would have left out the "silly" part :)

(edit - I have a similar "dilemma", with my longest layers being almost at waist, but I've decided to stop thinking about and measuring my hair, haven't done so for a while now ;))

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I voted none of the above. TECHNICALLY it is BSL, with those few hairs there, however there are so few at that length that -I- personally wouldn't call my hair BSL if it was like that. I would feel like cheating *giggle*

It is definitely past APL though!

Anje
April 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'd call it BSL. I understand the conundrum, though. I don't feel like I'm actually to a mark until I have a significant bulk of hair at that point. (So though I hit hip-length around December, it's finally feeling like it now, as the longer ends brush those little dents above my rear.)

jel
April 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM
You say that BSL on you is 27", and your hair is at 26" mark - to me, that means you're 'almost BSL' still. You don't say how much longer the '15 hairs' are...

Have you tried taking a picture just with your bra on, so you can clearly see where the ends hit? Don't worry, you won't have to post it here! (Unless you wish to!)

The pic you posted is fairly useless for this, as it's not obvious where your bra strap should be (maybe you can draw a line over it in photoshop?), the angle is wrong, and, most importantly, it's not current. Hair can grow in a month!

jojo
April 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I would call it ' can i call this BSL' its near enough as damn it to BSL as I can see, good idea for a thread though, i may have to be a copy cat in a few months time!

birthmarkie
April 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
There are "1st clasp, 2nd clasp, 3rd clasp" length classifications, you know ;) If I measured myself correctly, I will be at top-of-BS at roughly 24" and fully covering it at roughly 25". I'm planning to call myself BSL at around 24". I voted that you are at BSL, silly!

Sarahmoon
April 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM
It's BSL, silly!!! :D :flowers:

Katze
April 19th, 2008, 03:57 AM
thanks everyone who responded!

This measuring thing is so hard because of my still-tapered and layered hemline. I have been 'almost BSL' for most of the time I've been at LHC, slowly cutting layers. When I look in the mirror with my bra on, the longest bits do cover it and even hang below it, depending on how straight my hair is that day. If I stretch, more of it reaches BSL.

I'm actually thinking of my hair as BSL now because of the psychological advantage for me, and me alone ('see, it HAS grown'!) The whole song-and-dance of taking photos, uploading them, fixing them, putting them on here is a big ol' pain for me but I will try to get more progress pics if only for me!

LHC ROX! :cheese:

spidermom
April 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I think your hair is at the "can I call this BSL?" mark. On myself, I never count the longest few hairs as I know they're going to be trimmed back to hang with the rest.

Blueglass
April 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
your doing very well Katz.

Angellen
April 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I never really feel like my hair has hit a landmark area unless it's really, solidly there. Instead I spend a couple months at the 'Can I call this ___?" stage. Right now, for example, my hair is hip length in the back, just barely, but if I pull it over my shoulders I'm another 1.5" away. I'm in the "can I call this hip length?" stage right now.

That said, I think you're in that stage, too. From the looks of things, I would say you're nearly there, hovering at that annoying in-between stage where you don't know whether you really are there or not. However, I think you're so close that if you want to say BSL, you should go right ahead. :flower:

Amoretti
April 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I voted "It's bra strap, silly". LOL.

If you're still not sure, take a classic LHC photo from behind, with your hands on your waist. Use your camera timer.

Looking good!!!

FlowerHair
May 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM
It looks like BSL to me :)
And very pretty!

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I voted cheese because I really can't tell from your pic.
Have you grown much since then?
It's like you're somewhere in the APL-BSL land and I can't tell. haha

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
My first thought from the pic was BSL. Heck call it that. Who cares? Giggle! Your hair really IS looking good Katze!!!!

missy60
May 20th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I think you are BSL it even looks a little passed bra strap to me but for some reason I cant click on the pic. I can definitely see growth since you have been here

Jaime
May 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I answered "CHEESE", because your hair looks really gouda, and is getting cheddar all the time. :cheese::rollin:

8) Jim

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I think I might be the only one here with really short hair *sniff* I'm growing it out, though.

It's maybe 3" now. That's being generous. HA!

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Those longest 15 hairs should be counted! You don't want them feeling disenfranchised, now do you????

Whatever the length you choose to own, your hair looks really nice!

cherryblossom
June 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
definately BSL - it looks closer to that then APL even if the majority are that kind of length.

lora410
June 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
From your avatar it looks BSl to me

nissamholtz
June 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
You on your way to APL

tiny_teesha
June 25th, 2008, 01:11 AM
They way *I* measure bsl is if you draw a line from the bottom of your boobies aroudn to the back, so like a strand of wool. Then that line is bsl so long as it is level, at a 180 degree angle ( i think it is 180, it is horizontal, paralell to the floor!)
Well that was my personal definition, but i think it is "blade of sholder" length, so at the bottom of the sholder blades??
I do think you are bsl, i measure not by the straggly longest 2 hairs, i measure buy the bulk, well at the very tip of my hair it is probably no more then 30 hairs, but that is ALL of the end, so i measure at the point where it stops looking like you would measure from, it is usually about a cm from the longest hair.
I go by the longest hair area, if it is see through it isn't counted basically, so from your avatar i would say BSL for sure.
that is just me though :)

Katze
June 25th, 2008, 05:18 AM
well, my hair still skims, but does not cover, my bra strap at its longest point. I just microtrimmed (a couple of mm) the longest ends last night and will keep doing so as needed (hopefully much less often) until I reach waist with a thick hemline. Hoping to get to BSL before the summer's out, to take advantage of the growth I get in the light season.

I'm medium height, and I'm short torsoed, but for some reason, BSL seems horribly long (27") on me. Waist will be 30 ", so I really won't have that long to wait once I am actually at BSL.

edited to add: APL on me was the pic on the lower left, taken shortly before Christmas 07 after a big trim. The next pic was Christmas, about a week later.

violetflower
June 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I voted BSL, looks like it from your picture! Your hair is looking lovely!

Altocumulus
June 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I answered "CHEESE", because your hair looks really gouda, and is getting cheddar all the time. :cheese::rollin:

8) Jim

Is it wrong that I laugh out loud every time I see this?

Katze, your hair is looking beautiful these days!

AutobotsAttack
December 15th, 2015, 03:30 AM
mmmm id say BSL too.