PDA

View Full Version : The most comfortable bun ever!

EvaSimone
September 15th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I don't know if this bun has already been discovered but I hope not. I searched throughout LHC and couldn't find a bun that resembled this one.

A girl I work with who has hair a bit longer than me showed me how to do this bun. It's extremely comfortable and well balanced. Plus it will stay put all day when it's done correctly.

This is what the finished bun looks like:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/rszpara/bunwithloop.jpg

and I did a tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GoMSR-W48

Anyone want to help me name it??? I was going to call it the 'Lissy Bun' after the girl who showed me how to do it but I am curious what others can come up with.

Aditi
September 15th, 2009, 02:57 AM
That's a great looking bun Eva and the color of your fork goes so well with your hair color.

EvaSimone
September 15th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks Aditi! It's the only bun that will stay for me so it's not really fancy looking but it holds well.

Heidi_234
September 15th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I love it! Thanks for sharing!
The pushing the knot trick is really neat. The long haired variation reminded me of the Neoma Knot (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=152), but she doesn't do the push the knot thing. It really doesn't tug at my hair at all. Love it, thank you. :D

patissegrietje
September 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks for sharing :) I learned some of the most comfortable and best looking buns here at LHC in the past year. Before LHC i could only do buns that looked messy and would only hold to the front door :D

Addy
September 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I like that bun! I think I just need a little more hair though! Thanks for posting! My bun arsenal is growing! :D

Chrissy
September 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I really like that one. It's pretty easy and looks great! I will have to wait to try it as I'm still not long enough. I'm getting there though!!!

Charlotte
September 15th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Ooohhh, thanks EvaSimone, :) this is such a pretty bun and I think I have just about got it - following along with the video! :D Thanks for sharing. :blossom:

sherigayle
September 15th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Very nice and it seems pretty easy. I need a few more inches to be able to get it to hold well though.

Armelle
September 15th, 2009, 06:19 AM
EvaSimone, thankees! I actually do this already! Too funny! Because of the tension and subsequent headache I mentioned, I started making a loop around my hand before making the bun. I haven't tried the pushing the knot through though. I guess I need to go buy a hair fork now...Oh, the horror! :D

BTW, I giggled at your little bit of bopping at the end of your video. Very cute!

Tabitha
September 15th, 2009, 06:37 AM
It looks very pretty - I was so disappointed when I ran out of hair! at the "tail" point I had just half an inch of ends.

maxzeen
September 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
love it! i cant wait to try this when my hair gets long enough

Ryanne
September 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
That looks really neat.

Anje
September 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Let's see... I think your second variation where you pull through a loop instead of the entire tail is a Swirly bun (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1084704126/The+Swirly+Bun), but I don't know if it has a name when you pull the entire tail through.

I just tried it. Very comfy. If it looks good when I find a mirror, I think I'll wear it today.

Gabriel
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I tried this the first way and it's really comfy and evenly weighted. I should try the second way though cause I had a lot of hair leftover that I had to tuck.

Thanks for sharing!

Medievalmaniac
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
What a great bun!! Mine's up in a Karenlynn right now, but I'm looking forward to trying this one maybe tomorrow morning!! :)

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Nice; thanks for sharing. I've been trying to do something like this, but the bun kept twisting and pulling. Pushing the knot through really helped. I'm wearing your bun right now.

going gray
September 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you so much for the instrutions & video..I'm keeping a special hair folder on my computer with all these fabulous updos....your hair is lovely.

IF I hadn't been such a fool this past summer...I'd be able to do some updos.....

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Oops; slipped sideways, pulled, had to come out.

swirlytresses
September 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Uh! I can't get the clip to show! My internet is acting up today :(.

WritingMum
September 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
This is a very pretty bun. It looks a bit like a Celtic knot.

SpinDance
September 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you for sharing such a comfortable bun and taking the time to make the video instructions. I was pleased that my hands have learned enough about making buns, thanks to LHC, that they automatically wanted to push that knot through. I will recommend not trying to make a bun with a behind-the-neck-headset on, though. It tends to get in the way.

Ironically, after watching the video and following along with the directions, new bun in place, I went back to your original post and a collegue came up behind me. On seeing the back of my head with the bun he asked if your photo was of me and that there was some of that infinite reflections in a mirror thing going on!

Other than the hair toy and our shirt colors, he said it looked pretty much the same.

Now I just need to get someplace where I can take a look at the back of my head so I can see how it came out. It sure feels comfortable, though. I expect I'll use this a lot.

Spring
September 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I absolutely love this bun, but like Addy, I don't have enough hair yet.

jel
September 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand how far to push the knot (although I cannot push it any further than it wants to go!). :silly:

Still, the finished bun feels very comfortable and quite secure on my head. I'm wearing the loop version, as the leftover tail is too long.

Thanks for the instructions, EvaSimone! :flowers:

GlassEyes
September 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Beginning is sort of like the chopstick bun, but then it's different. XD

Anyway, it's really nice, but my hair isn't long enough yet. ):

aprilmay
September 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Great looking bun! I will need to visit your tutorial. Thanks for the instructions.

EvaSimone
September 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone! I am glad that the bun is working out for some of you. :flower:

Spidermom I've never had the bun tilt or go loose on me and most buns do because I have slippier hair. Did you push the knot through fully?

Armelle- as soon as I did the bopping motion I was like "WTH am I doing?!?" :lol: That was like my fifth take on the video and I just didn't have the heart to record it again.

Let's see... I think your second variation where you pull through a loop instead of the entire tail is a Swirly bun (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1084704126/The+Swirly+Bun), but I don't know if it has a name when you pull the entire tail through.

I just tried it. Very comfy. If it looks good when I find a mirror, I think I'll wear it today.

You're right Anje it does seem like a swirly bun variation (she twists up while I twist down and their was another slight change). I think maybe I'll just name the bun Swirly bun with variations. :lol:

EvaSimone
September 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand how far to push the knot (although I cannot push it any further than it wants to go!). :silly:

Still, the finished bun feels very comfortable and quite secure on my head. I'm wearing the loop version, as the leftover tail is too long.

Thanks for the instructions, EvaSimone! :flowers:

I don't know if this will help but push the knot through the loop until the bun feels very snug against your head, almost too tight. Once you put a fork or stick in the bun will loosen a bit and hold very well.

TammySue
September 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Love this! Yes, it's very similar to the Swirly Bun which is how I wear my hair most days. :flower:

girloctopus
September 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm going to try this one out tomorrow when I have more time to work with it :) Thanks for making a video with commentary! I find it easier to follow when there are audio and visual instructions, especially with hair, where there is usually no contrast between the different loops.

ETA: Where did you get the fork? I like it!

joyful373
September 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Wow! That is great, and I really like the video instructions. I was surprised at how secure it is. I have fine hair and I can't wait to try it and see if it stays up all day. Thank you!! :)

Tresses
September 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the video! I like the bouncing at the end. :D The bun is similar to the Celtic Knot. I think I will try yours today after my hair dries a little longer.

elaineflowers
September 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
thanks for sharing....your hair is lovely, well done.
xxxxx

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Spidermom I've never had the bun tilt or go loose on me and most buns do because I have slippier hair. Did you push the knot through fully?
:lol:

Maybe not; I assume I did something wrong.

paperwhite
September 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
That does look comfortable! I've been on the fence about whether or not to get a fork, but the more I see them used, the more I think I want one :) I'm going to go try that bun with a pair of sticks and see if I can get it to hold.

EvaSimone
September 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm going to try this one out tomorrow when I have more time to work with it :) Thanks for making a video with commentary! I find it easier to follow when there are audio and visual instructions, especially with hair, where there is usually no contrast between the different loops.

ETA: Where did you get the fork? I like it!

I wasn't sure if I was over talking the bun thing but I figure it was better than not explaining it enough. I got the fork from Barreis designs on www.etsy.com. They make really great wood forks.

SheaLynne
September 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ooh, this is great! I am just adding to my repertoire of buns since coming to LHC in July, and before then I could never get a bun to hold!

I just tried this one following your tutorial, and it feels great! I secured with one short stick, and it is not moving with shaking my head around. I'll eventually have to put money out for a fork....

Thanks!

Eniratak
September 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
It's so pretty!
I just tried it out and it looks really cool. XD. I have to work on my 'technique' because it's rather messy (I'm a beginner) and I need a few hair toys, but all in all very comfortable and cute.
Thanks!

rexy
September 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Great bun and great instructions! It is very secure, I think I will be wearing this one often. Thanks

Redheaded Raven
September 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Very pretty bun, it reminds me of a puzzle knot that I have done for years. I call it that because it is a puzzle that it never comes out the same twice. :D

I think that it is different than the other bun talked about, so call it something that you love! :cheese:

SheaLynne
September 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
A sequel to my previous post...
With the bun I put in following your video earlier, I vacuumed and mopped the whole house and finally had to re-do it (not bad for a first-time try at a bun!). Then I put it right back in without looking at your instructions again, and went for a walk with the dog and kids, fixed supper, and it is still in.

This one's a keeper...thanks so much! And I have no input on a name, but if it is different in any way from the others, I'd say pick your own name--it's great!

mira-chan
September 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I've never gotten a swirly bun, celtic knot or an inside out bun to work, but this one I managed.

This bun is kind of a mix of the inside out bun (has that bump of hair pushed through) and the double loop knot bun (the second loop version).

ETA: It holds well without a fork for me too.

manething
September 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
EvaSimone, your hair fork is so awesome! Where did you get it form?

lyria
September 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM
That looks great, but I think my hair is too thick! I will have to wait for more length :)

girloctopus
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I just wanted to say that I've had this is all day and it's holding great! Thanks for another bun to add to my style collection.

jlpearce
September 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I'd call it a pretzel bun!

mira-chan
September 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'd call it a pretzel bun!
There is already a pretzel bun.

Aunteater
September 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Thank you for the tutorial! I have bookmarked it to try in the morning (I have already braided up for bed, and am too lazy to un-do and re-do right now!)

Heidi_234
September 16th, 2009, 12:55 AM
There is already a pretzel bun.
At least two. :lol:
We still got plenty of flower names. But it does look like the Celtic love knot (http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/fa/5/AAAAApgmca8AAAAAAPpTiQ.jpg), as somebody suggested.

KatKeRo
September 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
It's a swirlybun, the only difference you push against the knot.

pluto_crna
September 16th, 2009, 04:10 AM
love the bun :) in your tutorial it kind of reminded me of a ring so theres a name suggestion. Or Eva bun :D

Stevy
September 16th, 2009, 05:34 AM
It took me a couple of goes to get it, but now I've managed it I'm a fan - tucking the knot through really makes it secure. Thank you for your great tutorial! I vote for calling it the Lissy Bun in honour of your friend.

Teazel
September 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I sat here at the PC following your video, and put my messy, uncombed mane into your bun. That was about six hours ago, and I totally forgot about it until just now! It really is exceptionally comfy, and I'm all for comfortable styles! :thumbsup:

Oh, and I just used my usual short hairstick, not a fork. :)

dolcevita
September 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Thank-you for sharing, EvaSimone! The video tutorial really helps and now I can't wait until my hair is a little longer so I can try it! I also love the name... "the stay put bun" :)

RedJen
September 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for sharing! The video was very helpful! I'm going to try this for work today.

Aunteater
September 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Success! I put it up according to your instructions, using two short hairsticks. So far it's held all morning through several errands without threatening to come loose. Thanks!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3379&pictureid=50418
(not entirely sure I did it right, but I like how it came out!)

EvaSimone
September 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
EvaSimone, your hair fork is so awesome! Where did you get it form?

It's from Barreis designs on www.etsy.com

It's a swirlybun, the only difference you push against the knot.

Yeah Anje brought that up a bit earlier. :flower:
I am probably going to call it a swirly bun modification or something similar because their are a few differences that don't make it the same bun IMO. I twist up, she twists down, I push the knot through, she doesn't and their is one other difference. So I do think it's similar but not the same bun.

Success! I put it up according to your instructions, using two short hairsticks. So far it's held all morning through several errands without threatening to come loose. Thanks!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3379&pictureid=50418
(not entirely sure I did it right, but I like how it came out!)

It looks very nice! Thanks for posting pictures.

maria_asa
September 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I really like the look of this bun and I've tried and tried but I just can't get it to work. :wail: It works fine until I get to the point were I should tuck the knot and then I get lost. Where exactly am I going to tuck it? :confused:
I guess I just have to practise more once my arms stop aching...

adiapalic
September 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Yay! Great tutorial video. I'll try this tomorrow when my hair's not all coconut oiled up and braided for bed :) Thanks!

adiapalic
September 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I was just wondering, is there a thread, article, or blog listing the names of the most popular bun styles? Does anyone keep a bun dictionary? This would be awesome. lol...

Teazel
September 17th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I was just wondering, is there a thread, article, or blog listing the names of the most popular bun styles? Does anyone keep a bun dictionary? This would be awesome. lol...

Yep, there's the Hair Style Dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/). :)

Or for a list of styles, I find this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11763) handy.

bluewhiteblue
September 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for sharing! I'm always on the lookout for comfy styles... particularly ones that will "stay put" :) I'll definitely give it a go later.

GoddesJourney
September 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
"Pastry bun". It reminds me of the shapes of some of the interesting pastries at the local bakery.

bluewhiteblue
September 21st, 2009, 04:19 AM
Tried it today, and it is officially my new around-the-house style! Thank you!

rusika1
September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Thank you! I wore my braided hair up in this bun today, with the end wrapped and tucked. It was very comfortable and very secure. I think this is going to be my new favorite!

eta: I love the locking knot. Maybe you could call it the Lego bun?