PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair for the gym?

rags
September 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
To further clarify, I am doing Natilus weight machines, as well as cardio. For several of the machines, the trainer said to put your head firmly against the headrest. I have been wearing a Ficcare, but it's fairly uncomfortable when you put your head back. I just prefer buns to braids, but I'm thinking I may have to do braids for the gym?

How do you wear your hair for the gym?

ericthegreat
September 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I always secure my hair in a big, single braid, a low ponytail tied back neatly or a tight, high ponytail. What most women I see at my gym do is throw their hair up in a quick messy bun or they do a ponytail loop, you know where you pull your hair up in a ponytail but will only pull it out of the elastic halfway.

bigevilgrape
September 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I've been putting mine in a braid then folding that in half and securing it with an elastic. I'm a climber and my switch from bun to braid caused my braid to catch in my belay device. Someone here wraps their braid in a buff, which is on my list to try as well. If I'm just on my bicycle I put it in a plain old braid, and if I'm doing something where I don't need to wear a helmet I put it in a bun.

If you just need to put your head flat against the bench then you could do 2 buns off to the side.

windinherhair
September 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM
For what you are doing I would think that a braid would be best if you want it to be flat in the back. I am starting a gym membership this week, mainly for classes including aerobics, etc. I was thinking for that I would wear my hair up in a secured bun.

Elvi
September 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I wear a single braid either on the side or in the neck in gym and in the neck when swimming.

Fractalsofhair
September 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I saw a woman with long hair with it in two braids. When my hair was slightly longer,I'd do a braided bun.

heatherdazy
September 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I sleep in braids, wear them to the gym, then shake them out for lovely waves and go! It's been an unbelievable time saver! :)

Quixii
September 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
When we did weight lifting in PE I found a regular braid to work nicely.

adiapalic
September 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
When I workout, I either do one regular braid, or a french braid.

freecelt
September 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've been putting mine in a braid then folding that in half and securing it with an elastic. I'm a climber and my switch from bun to braid caused my braid to catch in my belay device. Ya, I know about that. I was repeling and my hair got caught in the 8. luckily there was a tree for me to kinda sit in while I got it out. Now I always wear a bandanna so there aren't any wispys.

pradabacon
September 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
What's a gym? :confused:

Just teasin'! :D Back in the good old days, when I actually went to the gym, I always just wore my hair in a ponytail, but that was before I knew how to do anything else. *lol*

I think a French braid or high pony would work well if you have to lie down on the machines. Congrats on going to the gym, btw! :hifive: I need to get off my giant hiney and try that sometime. :laugh:

Naters
September 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
When i work out i always need to have my hair out and away from my face so its usually up in a secure bun.

consarnit
September 14th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Sometimes a braid and sometimes a bun depending on what excercise I am doing.

yellowchariot
September 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I haven't been to the gym in a couple of years! However I do have a gazelle glider that I get on, when I get time/feel like it. I agree with the above, a braid is most stable, and a banded-ponytail is really great to secure every section of hair and keep the weight even distributed while working out. If you band the hair all of the way down, then it's less likely to fly around from side to side.

mellie89
September 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I do a low ponytail, just tight enough to stay in place. When it was longer, I would put it in a bun.

Lize
September 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Right now when it's pretty short I wear it in double braids or a ponytail. When it was longer I was a big fan of single Dutch or French braids. I mostly do Aikido and have to roll and take falls a lot, so I can't use any hard hair toys.

If I was in a situation where I had to put my head back and lean it on something I'd probably go with double braids. Or maybe a really high bun?

I am still looking for practical and non damaging hair styles for training. I train a lot and I am afraid it's a bit tough on my hair.

motormuffin
September 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Rock climbing was part of the reason I cut my hair years ago. For the gym I had a couple fav styles. I had tailbone length hair so...I would put it up in a high pony, then braid it, then bun it...OR two braids on each side and then wrap them into a head band around the top of my head and pin them around the edge front and back. For running I like one low back braid with a headband on. For weights I do a high pony and then bun it. I hate when it flops around and I like to not feel it on the back of my head when I lean back.

Lemur_Catta
September 15th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I practice Taekwondo, and I always put my hair in a single braid or french braid. I also tried a high braided ponytail but it was uncomfortable if I had to lie on my back to do some exercises. This year hopefully I'll try the dutch braid as I have just learned to do it :D

spidermom
September 15th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Most of the time I do a single Dutch braid down the back.

CaityBear
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I wish my town had a gym! :( We are so tiny, there isn't anything here.

But for physical education class at school and volleyball I put my hair into a ponytail with a scrunchie then do a bun and use a grippy hair tie.

rags
September 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone! It seems like the braids are the clear winners (and ponys, which hurt my head so I don't do too much). I think that's what I'm going to have to go to also. Oh well, I can always put it up in a bun afterwards.

Hiriel
September 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I always do double braids, so that I can lean my head on things, or lie on the floor comfortably.

Eolan
September 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've tried alot of different styles to the gym, and found that two English braids is what works best for me.

Dawna
September 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM
My standard style for the gym or when wearing a helmet is to do one low braid or rope twist to the side, so it hangs in front of my shoulder. I also do this a lot for sleeping. I don't use a rubber band at the top of the braid, only at the bottom, to secure it. That way my neck hairs stay loose and don't get pulled out, and also there are no "lumps" pushing into my neck or the back of my head.

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone! It seems like the braids are the clear winners (and ponys, which hurt my head so I don't do too much). I think that's what I'm going to have to go to also. Oh well, I can always put it up in a bun afterwards.

Why don't you like braids? I bet they look pretty on you! :flower:

rags
September 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Because I have truly type i hair. It's very thin, and the braids show it! :(

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Your hair is beautiful, rags! Go on! :blossom:

misspriss
September 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I do my standard cinnamon bun, middle-height back of head. Secured with hair friendly elastic. I wear that to bed, to the gym, most days at work, as a matter of fact you almost never see my with my hair in a different style. (however, to bed it is really high, and I usually vary between high, mid, and low heights during the day).

I almost never wear braids, and ponytails move around too much for the gym. Since the bun is centered in the back of my head, and my hair isn't that big, it works fine on the weight machines. I think if my hair was longer/my bun was bigger, this wouldn't work. But it works right now.

Elvi
September 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM
If you are a true bunlover, you can certainly make a neat bun on the side. If not too big, they rarely stick to anything in the gym. But braids are careless to have.

girloctopus
September 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
If I need to lay my head back, I usually do two braids and then wrap them over my head like a headband and pin them down. I can't STAND to have hair bouncing on my neck when I'm exercising, and ponytails only stay in when I use 2 or 3 covered elastics because my hair is so heavy and thick the weight causes the bands to slip out.

bigevilgrape
September 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Ya, I know about that. I was repeling and my hair got caught in the 8. luckily there was a tree for me to kinda sit in while I got it out. Now I always wear a bandanna so there aren't any wispys.

I always have worn a banndana. My problem is that when I belay if i look down to rope manage my braid falls forward and likes to get sucked into the belay device, and if you are lowering someone off an overhang you're choice is yank hard and hope it comes out, or cut it out. Luckily that wasn't the case the times it hapend to me this year.

klcqtee
September 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
My vote is an upside-down french braid (you start at the nape of your neck and work upwards toward your hair line, instead of the normal french braid where you go from your hairline back), with bun piled on top of your head. It's annoying (to me at least) when I put my hair in a tall ponytail/bun and pieces fall out and then get coated with sweat and stick to my neck (ew). The french braiding helps to hold in any layers or short pieces that will fall out.

When your hair gets longer, you could do a ponytail on top of your head, braided, then swept into a bee butt bun, or a braided cinnabun.

yellowchariot
September 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM

^ I agree with hootie!

your pics look way better than mine! I've noticed that braid can sometimes "hide" fine textured hair, and your hair looks much fuller than mine! :)

rags
September 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
My vote is an upside-down french braid (you start at the nape of your neck and work upwards toward your hair line, instead of the normal french braid where you go from your hairline back), with bun piled on top of your head. It's annoying (to me at least) when I put my hair in a tall ponytail/bun and pieces fall out and then get coated with sweat and stick to my neck (ew). The french braiding helps to hold in any layers or short pieces that will fall out.

When your hair gets longer, you could do a ponytail on top of your head, braided, then swept into a bee butt bun, or a braided cinnabun.

Oh, I hadn't even thought about an upside down French braid - that would hide the ends without tucking. Hmmm, now I need to practice......
Thank you!

rags
September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Your hair is beautiful, rags! Go on! :blossom:

Thanks, Hootie! :o

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
You're very welcome, and it's very true!

Good luck with the upside-down French braid. I've never tried that before. I bet that will look cute!

ale
September 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Braid, or segmented ponytail if I'm lazy.

Darkhorse1
September 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
For any kind of activity, I usually wear a hat--when that's not possible, I clip hair up in a barrette, then braid/use ponytail.

Of course, there is a simple remedy for me. I just don't go to the gym :D hahaha. I work with horses, so I can wear a hat when in the barn/use a helmet riding.

Amara
September 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Braids swing around and are always in the way for me. I wear a secure figure 8 bun way up on top of my head.

jacqueline101
April 20th, 2013, 02:44 PM
High pony tail.

kidari
April 21st, 2013, 03:09 PM
I found a new hairstyle that works recently. I damp and fairly tightly coiled cinnamon bun really high on top of my head secured with two medium sized claw clips, one on either side of the bun. It stays put and out of my way even with running. Also, if you need to lay flat on your back it doesn't get in the way.

frejafjord
August 18th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I tend to just make sure my bun or ponytail is high enough to not interfere with my weight lifting on the seats etc. I prefer them higher, in a cheerleader sort of style anyhow :cheer:

RedNymph
August 18th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I put in a bun and wear a cotton headband.

ebullience
August 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I tend to wear it in a bun, but on the odd day that I've straightened my hair I'll wear it in a high ponytail. Either way I'll also wear a stretchy thin headband to stop too much moisture from getting into my hair.

michelle483
August 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM
High bun or ponytail, and a Buff worn as a headband.

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Used to be a ponytail, but now I’m thinking about a bun with a Buff to protect from pulling and bouncing.

BlondeWavyGal
August 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
High pony tail. Simple and easy.

Pixie2013
August 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
What is a Buff? It sounds like some sort of head wrap?

ositarosita
August 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
I currently do two mini buns at the base of my neck but im working on my braiding so as my hair gets longer I can do double French braids and crown braids. I work out 6 days a week so it needs to be comfortable.

Hootenanny
August 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
What is a Buff? It sounds like some sort of head wrap?

Yep, it's like a tube of fabric that can be worn in a number of different configurations. Here's a link to one site that sells them (and provides more details about how to wear them): http://www.planetbuff.com/how-to-wear.html. You can get nicer ones on etsy though, imo.

RavennaNight
August 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
I wear a high bun or a pony tail. Never had a problem wearing a pair of keylos to the gym, they hold like a rock.

Pixie2013
August 22nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Yep, it's like a tube of fabric that can be worn in a number of different configurations. Here's a link to one site that sells them (and provides more details about how to wear them): http://www.planetbuff.com/how-to-wear.html. You can get nicer ones on etsy though, imo.

Oooh, thanks! That is just the sort of thing I have been looking for! I have been using stretchy 2" wide headbands from Target but really need something wider that will stay put on my slippery hair.

jrmviola
August 23rd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hi, this is my first post, but i've been lurking a while. I have oily thin/medium fine hair that is past tailbone and until recently i used a hair toy that is like combs. The number on the back is : PCTZA 2004/000068 , search that on the internet and u will find it. I have worn it almost everyday of the past 7? years or so until my hair has either outgrown it or it has stretched out too badly. I have worn in hauling hay, cutting and hauling wood, milking cows, cleaning, and doing just about everying a body could do. Before i bought it NOTHING WORKED to keep my hair up. make a loose oval bun and clip both sides with this, or, back a french twist loosly and then secure with the "claws" and the "net" will hold the hair in place. Hope this helps, my hair is very fine and very slippy.