PDA

View Full Version : Itching to go black...

JessTheMess
September 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi All,

I am really considering dying my hair black with indigo. I don't want to make a permanent change quite yet and I am considering using a temporary dye to feed the fix right now and see if I really want to go for it.
Are there any recommendations?
What products have you used that were deposit only and that lasted for several washings?

I want to use something that won't damage my hair. It took a whole year to get my hair a clean bill of health and I don't want a major set back.

Any advice is welcomed :flower:

RancheroTheBee
September 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you, because most black dyes are permanent, to an extent, no matter what. They just really stick to the hair. You might want to try a really dark brown rinse or demi-perm first to see if you like dark.

heatherdazy
September 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
With a color as dramatic as black, even the 'temporary' colors that are meant to fade out after a few washings can stick around longer and become permanent if your hair is porous enough, if you've color treated your hair previously, if your cuticle is really open, or if you're in a warm enough room while you do it.

Getting a divorce can be easier than getting black out of your hair without significant cost and damage, so if you're not certain, I wouldn't risk it.

LadyGunn
September 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Would a wig work as a temporary, see-what-you-think solution? I've never worn a wig (wigged out?) so don't know for sure how that would work for daily use, even for a short time.

JessTheMess
September 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I have thought about the wig concept...and is in the back of my head as soon as I get the money.
I wouldn't mind it being permanent so much, as my hair is already a dark brown. I've been using Rainbow darkbrown, but it fades into a reddish brown after a while. I would have jumped the gun and already done it, but when I used to chemical dye my hair ages ago my hair color would somehow end up lighter than my virgin color even though I dyed it a darker color...probably due to peroxide in the mix.
Has anyone had luck with indigo glosses being temporary? I'm not looking to get a blackest black, but more of a warm brown black, without the reddish tint

ETA: I have had black hair before, and I liked the color, but alas my face and skin have changed in the past few years due to getting older and I worry about it just not suiting me as well as it did in my early 20s.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2805&pictureid=35141
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2247/149/101/1603193151/n1603193151_30140368_5326.jpg

melrose1985
September 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Very pretty. I dont have much to offer except for that black just seems to stick around.

Do they make a darker rainbow henna then what you use now? I dont know if you have seen Mellie around here she used rainbow henna and has a very nice dark brow/black color.

LadyGunn
September 14th, 2009, 03:13 PM
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2247/149/101/1603193151/n1603193151_30140368_5326.jpg

Totally off topic, but this pic makes me think of Kahlan from the Legend of the Seeker TV series. /hijack

Fractalsofhair
September 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Well manic panic makes a black. I've never used it, and the blue has lasted for over a year slightly on me. It's pretty harmless providing you don't bleach first. If your hair is already dark brown, it will fade eventually.

young&reckless
September 14th, 2009, 03:49 PM
your pics make me miss my black hair :(

I think you should go for it! :cool:

chickpea
September 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
There's really no such thing as temporary black, it is definitely a commitment. Indigo is permanent, but does fade on some people. I like using indigo over henna because it gives me a softer shade of black than the harsh shoe polish look I get from chemical dye.

~GypsyCurls~
September 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, that is an incredible photo of you! I'd say that if your hair isn't overly porous, to do a semi permanent black. I don't think it would be permanent, though it'll stay longer than other semipermanent colors.

JessTheMess
September 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I was using the same Rainbow henna that Mellie was using, and it stuck for a month or so, but faded into an even redder brown than before. I guess the henna stuck but the indigo faded. :shrug:
I am looking for a deposit only color because I don't want to lighten my hair only to darken it... if my hair would even lighten because of the henna already in it. Maybe I'll just get a container of the Rainbow Henna black which I believe is straight indigo and mix it with the container of dark brown that I already have...

SeaShell
September 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I've used natural instincts the semi-permenant ones before, I use brown but they have a black one which should work just fine, and they aren't too damaging, no ammonia. They last about 2 months depending on how often you wash your hair. If its very light or porus though the black may not wash out fully for a long time.

MandaMom2Three
September 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm considering the same thing, I'm hoping manic panic would "temporary" for me

GlassEyes
September 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.spankmenews.com/images/pictures/942L.jpg

That girl wasn't wrong on the Kahlan thing. Just saying. Even if the series does make me feel iffy.

Kaileida
September 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM
There's like a color mousse thing that L'Oreal makes that lasts about 3-4 washes! I used to use that when I craved change, but because of the undertones in my hair, black always ended up looking purple on me. (If you're wondering why it doesn't now, well, the only semblance of natural color I have left is at my roots. I've bleached my hair four times in the past two years.) You can try that, maybe?