PDA

View Full Version : New here and have a few questions about Biotin...

TropicalBreeze
September 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM
In early August I cut my hair to my shoulders. It looks awful so I'm trying to grow it out. I started taking Biotin in mid August and I haven't really seen a difference. I take 5000mcgs a day. I also take a complex b vitamin and Flax seed oil. When does the biotin 'kick in' and when should I expect to see a difference? Right now my nails are hard as rocks and I'm sure that's a Biotin benefit but I'm really hoping to see the hair benefits. Can I take more Biotin daily and will that help? Thanks in advance.

marikamt
September 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I don't think the biotin is a miracle pill that will make your hair grow 5 inches in one month...
That being said, It will/ should help the health of your hair as it grows, and may increase the growth *some*
I take 10,000 mcg a day (5000 2x a day), I grew an inch last month (my first month of measuring). Average is 1/4-1/2 in.
Good luck!

friskybiznus
September 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi, welcome to LHC! I just started taking Biotin, too. I'm taking 1000 mcg/ day, which (according to the bottle) is 333% of the RDA. It's also water soluable, so, although you probably aren't hurting anything by taking a large dose, you are probably excreting out the excess anyway.

I imagine it takes a while for it to kick in...Personally, I'm going to evaluate at 3 or 4 months and then again at 6 months. Unfortunately, these things take time! ;)

Best wishes!

TropicalBreeze
September 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Thank you! I understand that there is no miracle way to get hair to grow faster but I am desperate for some growth. I am definitely willing to increase my biotin dosage. Is there such a thing as taking too much? What is the max one can take?

Fairlight63
September 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have read on another hair board that if they take too much they start to get pimples. They also recomend to take it with B-complex & also drink a lot of water. Guess that it helps to flush out impurities so you don't break out.

I was taking 1,500 mg until they ran out & just uped it to 5,000 mg - have to wait to see what happens. I don't think that I have increased the growth much, my nails seem harder though.

JamieRose
September 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
You could also try taking gelatin or Monistat- I haven't tried either but it's something I know other members have had sucess with them as far as quicker growth.

ETA: I tried biotin for awhile, too- I didn't see any difference and I waited for a few months. It might make a bigger difference, though, depending on how healthy your diet is.

redneckprincess
September 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Id say give it 3-4 months before see any real diffrence