PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my hair?

desertgirl
September 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I think I'm "search-the-forums" handicapped, so I'm starting a thread, please forgive me if this one's been done.

About a month ago I moved and my hair/scalp is having issues. Here's some of the details:

Old environment:
Hot (over 100 degrees F), dry & dusty. City water, but I have no idea what they clean it with and how clean it actually is (we had set up a filtration system for drinking water)
Hair care routine: baking soda wash (I think it was actually sodium carbonate instead of bicarbonate, but I can't be sure...some things are lost in translation), acv and lime rinse followed by Dabur's Amla Gold oil when dry (I washed about every 5-7 days). This worked great, scalp felt fine (changed to the BS & ACV as a solution to a dandruff issue with shampoos) and my hair was easy to manage.

New environment:
Temperature is currently in the 80s, humid and not dusty at all. City water, but no smell of chlorine.
Routine: Shortly after I arrived oiling my hair with Dabur's Amla just made it sticky (I switched to Africa's Best). The rest of the routine has been the same (though the Baking Soda and ACV are both made in the US now). My hair is fuzzing out (not surprising with the humidity and my hair type) and my scalp has become itchy and I've noticed quite a few small flakes.

I was thinking some of this was adjustment to a new environment, but I expected some improvement by now. I believe Dabur's has cones in it and Africa's Best does not, so maybe the switch to no-cones has something to do with it (though I like the idea of staying cone-free if I can)

Any ideas about what's going on and how I can fix it? Do I just ride it out and hope?