PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what do to...

Nenwing
September 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have had short hair for about a year now, just how short you can see in my album. Also have longer haired pics in there for comparison. I was looking at some pics of myself when I was younger (5-6 years ago) and had shoulder-length to longer hair, and I didn't look too bad. I used to think I just looked gawky and awkward.

I really don't know if I like my hair long or short, maybe bald with a wig would be best? :D

I don't think I could ever go real long, like have the patience before I ended up chopping it. At work though after 3 little kids have gone "mommy is that a boy or a girl?" its got me wondering if I don't look like a guy. I really don't know what to do with my hair.

ETA: If you think it looks better one way vs the other, feel free to be honest about why.

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I think you should do the thing that makes you feel the best about yourself. Little kids can sure say the darnest things, but you can still have a feminine look with short hair. Maybe use some pretty headbands or small clips. Or get some cool earrings.

If you want to try growing you hair out, then by all means, go for it! There's a lot of supoort and information here, so you won't be alone as you go through that growout phase.

Whatever you do, it's important that you start by feeling good about you on the inside. Then your hair will reflect that, no matter what the length!

Best wishes and keep us posted!

Nenwing
September 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think you should do the thing that makes you feel the best about yourself. Little kids can sure say the darnest things, but you can still have a feminine look with short hair. Maybe use some pretty headbands or small clips. Or get some cool earrings.

If you want to try growing you hair out, then by all means, go for it! There's a lot of supoort and information here, so you won't be alone as you go through that growout phase.

Whatever you do, it's important that you start by feeling good about you on the inside. Then your hair will reflect that, no matter what the length!

Best wishes and keep us posted!

Hi friskybiznus!
Yeah I guess it comes down to feeling good about myself on the inside. I do want to look my best if I can, but to my eyes nothing seems to look good, but then again maybe I am trying to achieve the unrealistic, or being my own worst critic.

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I feel like that sometimes, too. I tend to compare myself to everyone else and they always come out better! LOL!

I looked at your album and I think your hair is very cute. And you don't look like a guy!! :rolleyes:

Cinnamon Hair
September 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I prefer it longer but either way, you look nothing like a guy! :)

Nenwing
September 13th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Well, thank you for saying I don't look like a guy! I guess kids can be silly, but then again kids can be blatantly honest. Bah!

Kittybe
September 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think you're one of those rare people who can pull off both long and short hair. You have really nice hair and a really pretty face.

I think if you feel self-conscious about a certain hairstyle, though, it may not be the right one for you. Whatever hairstyle we have, it's important to "own" it and really not care what anyone else thinks. But if you're not able to do that, it's probably better to go in a different direction with your hair.

I know that I do not look good with chin length hair. Shorter is okay and long is best. But one length doesn't do anything for me, so I tend to stick with long, layered hair, sometimes with bangs. I like this style and I feel good like this.

Good luck with finding your own comfort zone!

whiteisle
September 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hi friskybiznus!
Yeah I guess it comes down to feeling good about myself on the inside. I do want to look my best if I can, but to my eyes nothing seems to look good, but then again maybe I am trying to achieve the unrealistic, or being my own worst critic.

Hi,

I'm very guilty of this as well. :) I too shift between long and short and can't decide what is "me" but I've tried short for the last 14 years or so and haven't been happy with it so I've decided to go long again (it's been high school since it was long). I think you look very, very nice with long hair and you can definitely go short as well but if you're asking for an opinion mine would be in favor of long and that's not because we're here on a long hair site ~ it's my honest opinion, no bias involved. How do you feel most comfortable and what fits your life?

Bellalalala
September 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
You have lovely bone structure for short hair, but I do find that that is a very masculine style for a short haircut.

You look great without a speck of make-up (which I'm insanely envious of), but that is very rare and also contributing to you perhaps looking less feminine.

I think that a more stylized and feminine cut on you would look fabulous.
I definitely think that short hair really emphasizes your beauty.

ETA: I just took a second look at your photos and your jaw-line and cheekbones are to die for!
I definitely recommend keeping hair away from your face.

pilateschick7
September 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I prefer the longer look but your bone structure is good for a short cut. I think the short one is also cute.

Kids get very busy trying to categorize things to help them process so much information. Their frame of reference is Disney and Bratz. Color also plays into it..the green/yellow/blue for Thomas the Train and Bob the Builder. I guess I am just saying, ignore other children because they also eat their boogers when they think nobody is looking. note- I am sure your kids don't eat boogers.

rhubarbarin
September 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I prefer the longer hair on you, looks-wise (definitely not getting 'awkward', I think it looks pretty - however it's still shortish and all one length, you could do a lot pat shoulder - layers, different parts, bangs, etc - to make it more feminine and give you more options). But I prefer the look of longer hair on just about every woman. Just my personal preference.

Looks are far from the only consideration, of course.

Nenwing, little kids have thought I was a boy with waist-length hair (although I was chestless and wearing baggy clothes at that time). They look for the most obvious markers to determine gender at that age. I remember when I was 4-5, my aunt got married and my new uncle had both a beard and waist-length hair. It blew my mind and I kept on asking if he was a man or a woman for some time.

However the short cut is pretty unisex. You could keep it short and get it cut in a way that's more girly.

Nenwing
September 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thank you for the kind words, and for the opinions! It does help, I guess we are our own worst critic, because I just don't see it.

Hmm, so maybe what I have now is a bit too short. The thing is every time I have had long hair, or even shoulder length, I have never had layers before. Maybe that would help.

I have I think a rather long face, and having long hanging hair seems to emphasize that, so maybe some layers would be good.

Lol pilatieschick7! I agree I think it may be little kids equate short hair = boy, and long hair = girl. Lol I don't have kids but yeah kids do eat boogies.

Well at any rate hair is hair and it does grow, so it can be changed, which is good!

Zéphine
September 14th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Looks nice either way...I hope you can find a length and style that you like.