PDA

View Full Version : To chop or not to chop??

Spun
September 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
So right now my hair while straight is 32", but I feel like I've had long hair forever and I almost always have it up in a pony tail or bun. I feel like I need a change, but I'm terrified cutting it off might make me cry even though I keep telling myself it's just hair and it will grow back. Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for some feedback; Although, this might be the wrong place to ask this question since we're all long hair junkies here. :grnbiggri

Current Hair
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/spunoblivion/ch.jpg

Potential Hair
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/spunoblivion/invertedbob.jpg

wintersun99
September 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM

cocolover
September 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I can relate to the feeling of always having your hair up in a ponytail or bun. It does get old after awhile. However, I will say this, for that reason I did a major chop (BSL to long pixie) a few years back. After awhile that hair got old too, so it didn't really fix the problem. Maybe learning new styles for your current hair length, braids, half-ups, updos that are not buns, will get you through. I think you have to learn to be creative no matter what length your hair is or it will get old. If after a month or more of lots of new dos you still want to cut, then give a shorter hairstyle a try. Your hair is very pretty!

pradabacon
September 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Noooooooooo! :D

misstwist
September 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Would you be willing to flat-iron on a daily basis? You would need to, given the different hair type and texture... :(

This.

What about a wig?

Spun
September 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I've actually been thinking about it for a couple months. My hair is part of my identity and I'm afraid to let that go, but at the same time I really think I could use a change.
As much as I love long hair it take ages to dry and if I want to wear it down that's a whole other ordeal (not that I need to explain that to anyone here).

Anyway I'm considering the big chop for tomorrow! You guys are making me question myself even more, though. lol

Thanks for the compliments, btw! :)

Speckla
September 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Why not just a cut with new layers, different bangs, or some new hair accessories? Than decide if you still want to do a big chop. You can cut off more but you can't add it back as quickly as it comes off.

JustDeb69
September 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Do what you want and don't think you have to need validation from anyone else. It's your hair and you can do what the hell you like about it.

However, I know all about not wanting to let go of long hair. But when you are ready to let go, you will do. Don't let anyone question your decisions about yourself. It's your hair and your choice.

September 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
When I cut my hair, it had been in the same boring colour, style, and essentially length for almost nine years. I didn't miss it at all, and I was so excited for a change.. for the first two months. Growing it back is not easy!

In addition to being beautiful, your hair has so much versatility at its current length. If you think you're bored now, imagine not being able to create a different hairstyle every day! It drives me nuts. :p

patissegrietje
September 14th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Personally i love the natural look of your hair the way it is now, with it's beautiful waves.
I think the second look requires a lot of maintainence, including flat-ironing and hairspray every day. Have you tried to simulate the second look by flat ironing it and putting it in a half-up? Maybe you should try something like that before going for such a drastic change, just to make sure you will be happy with the result :flower: :)

adiapalic
September 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
The photo shows relaxed hair made to be straight--to sport that particular style, with your wavy hair, you would have to straighten it every day. Also, the potential for different hair styles is reduced a lot when you pick a style like that. I'm hugely biased here, not only because I usually prefer long hair, but because I personally despise the "pob" look!

There are so many bobs that look much cuter (to me)--Chloe's hair in the earlier seasons of Smallville comes to mind. http://boobtubedude.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/smallville-8.jpg

Along with Alice's hair in the Twilight movie. http://www.twilightseries.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/alice2.jpg

Granted that these hairstyles also require time, flat ironing and lots of products to achieve that look!

A wig would be cool too, hehe. http://www.leninimports.com/umatpfautop1.gif

Just my two cents, but I looove your shiny curls in that pic as is. :flower:

Debra83
September 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Two week rule for sure. I think you'll regret it. The first two weeks or so will be all smiles, after that, if you're like me and part of you is because you are a member here, then the regret will come.

going gray
September 14th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Hi Spun, Wished I had been talked out of cutting my hair last June when it was 23"....the 2 week rule doesn't work for me, unfortunately. I'm currently back at 16" with no style & LOTS of layers.

I understand how you feel, if you're determined to try a new style, you DON'T want to be "talked out of it" Believe me I get the need for a change too! IF you really know yourself go ahead & cut it & ENJOY your new style.

By the way, your hair is lovely. But I would imagine it would really lovely short too.

Good luck with your decision.

spidermom
September 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Maybe have some layers cut into the front to frame your face instead of a full-on cut? Whatever you decide, enjoy; be happy.

Melisande
September 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Personally, I'm not overly fond of overly trendy hairstyles. But if it suits your personal style - go ahead. You can always grow back your long hair.

I wouldn't jumpp to a drastic cut, though. I'd go for a longer layered bob with face framing layers first, and if you really feel that you have to get the pob, then go for it ;-)

But please no huuuge sunglasses to go with it...?

jivete
September 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Why not just a cut with new layers, different bangs, or some new hair accessories? Than decide if you still want to do a big chop. You can cut off more but you can't add it back as quickly as it comes off.

I agree with this and I also recommend getting a wig. Wear the wig out a few times and then decide if you want that look all the time.

Spun
September 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I did it! Hair no more! My head is so light. What a massive change.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can donate chemically processed hair?

wintersun99
September 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Addy
September 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well, that was fast! I was atleast hoping to see you wait it out til the 5th page or so. :D

Hope you love your new style! Any pics? :cool:

pradabacon
September 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Yah, let's have some pics! :D

And I think there is an organization that uses hair to clean up oil spills that will take chemically processed hair. I can't remember the name of it...I'll go look it up.

ETA: It's called Matter of Trust. There's a link on this website: http://springwise.com/eco_sustainability/matteroftrust/
Also, if your hair is not damaged, just color treated, you might be able to donate it elsewhere (or even sell it) - I dunno

Speckla
September 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
We must have pictures. And enjoy your new cut. I bet it's cute.

Jemoiselle
September 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hey!? That's not fair! We want our pics and we want them NOW! :cheese:
Just kidding, but seriously when you have time we are all dying over here! Congrats by the way!

redneckprincess
September 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
pretty cut but your hair is prettier.

JamieRose
September 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Ah, I just read through this thread, turns out you already cut by the time I got to the end!!!

Yes, pics please!!!!!

Fiferstone
September 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
No pix = didn't happen :)

Enjoy your new 'do.