PDA

View Full Version : 1 month flat iron sober!!

SeaShell
September 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM
hey, just wanted to share with you all that I am now officially 1 month sober from the flat iron!! :joy: That's a big achievement for someone who went from straightening every day, to just twice a week now to zero times a week! I've actually been getting more compliments on my hair in its wavy state too :hmm: I plan on straightening only for very special occasions now. If anyone else out there is trying to quit let me know how long you've been "sober" and we can quit together!
oh and I also have been CO washing lately which has really improved my hairs texture...
just wanted to share with you my mini victory!:) :blushing:

Speckla
September 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'm not trying to quit but I have successfully quit. I haven't straightened since April 2008. I was thinking of straightened soon to henna but I think you've encouraged me not to. Thank you!

lyria
September 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Congratulations! I've never used one, but life without seems to work just fine :) Hope you keep enjoying healthy hair!

mellie89
September 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Oooh congrats! I was pretty much straightener free all summer, but something about seeing all the shiny, super-straight hair back on campus made me relapse. I used it maybe 4 or 5 times in a week (a couple of those times on the high setting, ewww). I'm now hiding it so I don't get tempted. I used it last Sunday... so I guess I've been "sober" for one week now! :p

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Go you! I've been a Chi iron addict and I have decided to stop and embrace my waves (which you can't see in my siggy pic, but I'm certain they are still in there somewhere). Thanks for posting - I'm inspired!

adiapalic
September 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Woohoo! Good on you.... now if I can get my stubborn ass sister to believe me when I say flat irons can damage hair!

Flynn
September 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Congratulations! Soon enough you'll be loving your natural texture so much that you will shudder at the thought that you ever tried to supress that with heat-styling. >_o

Here's for many more unironed months to come.:cheese:

Wicked Princess
September 14th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Congratulations! I, too, am in flat-iron recovery!

My hair is naturally completely straight...then three years ago I permed it because I wanted a change. Six months later, the curl is still there and I was tired of it! Shows me to do something permanent and chemical to my head, heh! So, in order to combat the new, ever-present curls, I straightened my hair until...January of 2009! I joined this community on the second day of the year.

Determined to take care of my hair and grow it longer, I stuffed the flat iron into a closet and refused to pick it up again! Of course...I promptly forgot about this community until April. *cough* Oops. To my credit, though, I hadn't picked up the flat iron!

Then...sadly...I fell off the wagon at the beginning of August. I couldn't help myself! I needed to see how long my hair had grown! I flat ironed it once and took a few pictures.

I haven't picked it up after the pictures...I threw it away instead. I've decided that if I really...really...feel the need to have my hair that straight, then something has to get hurt: my wallet, or my hair. By that, I mean that I'll go to a salon to have it done for a special occasion.

Hey...my one year anniversary here would be a special occasion, right? :rolleyes: :o

wiggleit76
September 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Well done!

I'm in flat iron recover too, I used to use one of those wet to straight irons, and then would wonder why my poor hair was so damaged!

I still blow dry occasionally, but I'm trying hard to stop that too...

Addy
September 14th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I stopped using the flat iron everyday in May of 08. I have flat ironed my hair 3 times since. Twice on my own and let my dd do it once.

It felt good to break away from the sizzle! :D

melrose1985
September 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Kudos! I stop last year too. Every once in a while i would do it, but now i dont even see the point except for my bangs, which is still like never.

Mutinous
September 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Congrats :)

I'm really jealous, I'm still addicted, it has to be said. Though I have cut down. *Sigh* I am contemplating trying a month sans straighteners, but I'm a bit uneasy about it!

maxzeen
September 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM
congrats! i used to flat iron my hair everyday as well and i havent flat ironed in about two months, except for a special occasion. even then i second guess weather i should embrace my wavy/curly hair. :)

Fencai
September 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Wonderful and good for you!!!!

peachrose
September 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I used to ADORE my flat iron. I haven't straightened my hair since new year's. When I straightened on new years I was surprised by how crappy it looked compared to my natural waves. I think in the future I may straighten for very special occasions but it's so nice to break away from the habit.

SeaShell
September 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
thanks guys, and all of you who were saying you quit have gorgeous hair in its natural state! :)

BlueWaterRed
September 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Really love the title of your thread! Congrats on your first month.

clairenewcastle
September 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Stick with it girl!!!!!!
I've never used a flat iron in my life but in my teens I couldn't leave my bedroom - never mind the house - in the morning without a good going-over with my heated brush. This assault on my hair went on for a good five years or so, damage can be cut off and frequently was but I eventually decided that shiny healthy hair was much more important to me than styled hair.
Once you see the wonderful change in your hair you'll never plug them in again

silverspun
September 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
i use mine much less now.. but i found my damage came from the blow-dryer, not the straightener. once my hair is longer i hope to not use anything. but i still lapse back once a week.

Luckysock
September 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
good for you!!! I've quit too - I'm about 3 weeks in, but my hair feels so much better already, I'll never go back! sometimes during an S&D I'll find sad little fried hairs - they are patchy, almost translucent in spots I feel bad for them, I tortured them. :( down with the straightener !

manething
September 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I compromise and iron only my bangs. If I don't, then the hair in front curls up like I'm channeling the spirit of an '80's hair do.

Naters
September 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Congratulations! it really is hard to let go of our hair damaging old ways, so kudos to you!

girloctopus
September 14th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Keep it going! It's good to hear that you're beginning to embrace your wave.

Here's my story:
I haven't flat ironed my hair since two days before my son was born in March 2008. I quit then and there because I was so miserable standing in my bathroom for an hour or so at 9 months-and-ready-to-pop pregnant.

Of course, it was made a bit easier by not having enough time to wash my hair, let alone straighten/blowdry it once my son was born. And my still unbroken "wear hair up challenge" was also begun :rolleyes:

23_seconds
September 14th, 2009, 11:47 PM
||||||||||

Sheltie_Momma
September 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Way to go! It is SOOOO hard to quit isn't it? I haven't flat ironed since late Spring, I don't know the exact date. I was messing around with my hair in the bathroom mirror last night and the top 6 inches of my hair are incredibly smooth and shiny (not straight but smooth) and I know it is because I have stopped using the flat iron & blow dryer. Once you have enough growth to see how healthy the hair can be, then it is very encouraging.

ambychelle
September 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I can remember how totally excited i was when I got my Chi flat iron. I thought it was awesome and I just adored it. I only used it like twice a week, but oh how I regret it now!

It's harder to get that "polished" look without it. Sometimes I get the urge to whip it out just to smooth the ends. It's an addiction!

congrats!

sana junaid
September 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
wow congrats :) im also quiting my flatr iron habbit :)

cakebaker
September 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I haven't flat ironed in a long time. Flat ironing was tearing up my hair. It was breaking off, and where it didn't break off it just looked fried. And I used "heat protector" products too. Sometimes I think that is a sham! Although I love the way my hair looks when I do it, it's just not worth it. I have discovered curling my ends under with a BBB and shooting a cool hairdryer on them will get me very nice results, so it is a much healthier compromise. Congrats to you, your hair will appreciate it! :cheese:

savanah
September 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM
iv stopped for about a month now , and im so happy , i dont even need to straighten my fringe/bangs any more , they just go straight on there own . =]

InTheCity
September 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Funny that you called it "sober." I always like to think of myself as "clean" too - ha!

Well for me it's been since Christmas, so 9 months! And wouldn't you know it's actually grown 1/2" per month like its supposed to? About a month ago I tried the wrapping method to straighten it and was THRILLED about seeing my hair straight again.

Now I just have to get over the anxiety of being in a wedding next month and possibly having to allow some heat to make it look good.

apynip
September 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
congrats! i remember being 'addicted' to my falt iron. Before i was compleatly 100% against them then i got one got hooked then got un addicted some time in july.

I still use mine but for sewing projects or when i have a cuff, collar or hem line that needs to be ironed out.

good practical use :D

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Woo hoo!!!! :cheese: That's an awesomely big step towards healthy hair! Congrats!