PDA

View Full Version : Styles for Shoulder Length Hair

linda g
September 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I could really use some help here. I don't have a lot of experience styling my hair into updos, but I am getting to the point where I need to do something for work, and I'd like to learn how to do something nice.

My hair is somewhere between shoulder length and BSL, and as you can see, I have a few layers:

http://i30.tinypic.com/9iqr1w.jpg

So if you could provide me with ideas, links, etc for ways I could style my hair up at this point, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Tangles
September 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
With those layers, what I'd do is clip the top layer (like a pollyanna) and then twirl the rest into a low chignon.

Canarygirl
September 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
what is a 'polyanna'? :)

linda g
September 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I am just realizing I don't fully understand human anatomy, or what APL actually means :D Could someone post a pic of what APL hair looks like?

Anyway, I also found these 2 threads, in case they are helpful to anyone else:

Buns for Layered, APL Hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30154

Easy updos for shoulder-length hair
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72187

Konstifik
September 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
linda g - APL means Arm-Pit Length, so it's hair that reaches down to the armpit. :)

linda g
September 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
linda g - APL means Arm-Pit Length, so it's hair that reaches down to the armpit. :)

Thank you! It never occurred to me to associate hair length with arm pits! :D

Anyway, I did manage a somewhat messy French braid today. Not quite ready for prime time, but I'll keep practicing. I'm hoping I will develop some coordination!

peachrose
September 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
At APL with layers I think you could do a french twist, with the end tucked down or sticking out.

linda g
September 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Is there a way to search the articles on this site? I found a video showing how to do a French Twist elsewhere online, but it involved backcombing and hairspray, both of which I have an aversion to! :D

heatherdazy
September 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
My hair is shorter than yours and I wear it TONS of ways, some requiring heat, some not.

If you want to wear it down you can:
Braid waves
Flip out your layers
Curl under your layers
Get waves with rollers
Using gel, twist it into ringlets when wet for natural curls

For part up part down you can:
Twist little sections back from your face
Part it, then slick either side back
Put the front section in a little pouf
Braid back your bangs

To wear it up you can:
Do a low side ponytail
Make a smooth, shiny french twist
Braid it diagonally across your head
Do two buns
Create a messy updo but balance it with a thick headband

Madame J
September 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I have hair a similar length to yours, with lots of layers, so I like French braids a lot. I do a style that I call the "Laurel crown braid" (it's the cover of my updo album) where I make two French braids and then cross and tuck the ends under one another and clip (or pin, or use a Flexi) them in place. I came up with it when I was on vacation and only had 2 hair elastics and a handful of mini-claws with me for updos. I did a variation this weekend where I kinda wadded the braided ends into a bun of sorts and put it in a Raven's Lair bun shelot.

My albums should be public, if you want to look at my hair length, and updo albums for ideas.

linda g
September 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Thank you all for the input! Much appreciated.

If you look at my album, you'll see why I am so clueless about how to fix my hair :D

Elvi
September 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
My hair is of the same type as yours except less wavy. I never use hair spray for French twists. I make relatively short ones fixing the twist with one clamp. the free ends I either twist or arrange and roll the curls with hair pins into an updo.

Laurenji
September 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
My hair is also about here. French twists work great, especially when slightly damp and also if you have a french twist comb. (you only ever use a french twist comb for one thing, but trust me, it's worth it.)

French braids/dutch braids are also a favorite. A diagonal dutch braid with the braid ending at the nape of the neck (so the ends are a little long) with a bow looks pretty sweet. Also that "Laurel Crown" braid thing that Madame J was talking about.

I don't know how thick your hair is, but mine's fairly thick and I'm starting to be able to get a pretty good cinnabun going. Sock buns are also nice, since they make you look like you've got more hair than you do. :)

If nothing else, I've learned to embrace the little pokeys that stick out from my layers. :) It's not as clean/smooth, but it makes a nice messy bun.