PDA

View Full Version : Is this tacky? (salon question)

Tap Dancer
September 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm going to have my hair washed, cut, and blow-dried tomorrow. (The only time I ever let heat be used on my hair is after a haircut so I can make sure it's nice and even.) I've gone to my hairdresser, Kim, for several years now. I even introduced my mom to her, so my mom also gets her hair done by Kim. They use Paul Mitchell shampoo at the salon and I hate the stuff. My hair looks okay after it's dried, but it usually looks and feels not-so-great the next day. Well, IMO, anyway. So I was wondering if I should just suck it up or if I could take a small bottle of my own shampoo and conditioner for her to use on me? Is that tacky? I've never heard of someone doing that, so I don't want to look like a boob or something. :lol:

motormuffin
September 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
It can't be any worse than seeing my step dad bring his own salad dressing and sugar to a restaurant. It may be tacky but who cares. If it makes you happy...give her a little extra tip if she does.

RancheroTheBee
September 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I don't know if it's tacky (because I really have no radar for that kind of thing), but if I were your stylist, I would understand. If the products don't agree with you, and would make you unhappy with your hair later on, I'm sure the stylist would understand.

Bellalalala
September 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Not tacky at all.

Hairstylists are the first people to understand that everyone's hair and scalp have different needs.
Also, many people have numerous allergies or ethical beliefs that affect their product choices.

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM
If you have a good relationship with Kim (and it sounds like you do), then I'd say, go for it. She should understand. I don't think it's tacky.:)

BlackfootHair
September 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
You should wash and condition your own hair just in case they tell you they can't use it. By law, at least in Iowa, you are supposed to have an MSDS for every product you use on clients. If you don't and get caught it's huge fines. Usually they shouldn't mind, but if they want to push products, they may just pull that card.

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
My stylist has an small array of shampoos and conditioners to choose from, 3 or 4 at least. I'm surprised that your stylist offers no choice.

RoseRedDead
September 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Listen to BlackfootHair. You never know what kind of legislation you've got goin' on in salons.

Otherwise, heck no it is not tacky. It's your hair, your money. They still get your business, right?

curls2grow
September 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I agree that you should bring your own products if you prefer to do that, and sounds like you have decent rapport with your stylist. Re: what BlackFootHair said, maybe call Kim and tell her that you would prefer to use your own products in your hair during your appointment, is there any problem with that happening? Otherwise, maybe you should wash your hair before you go so she can just use water to wet it.

eadwine
September 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Wash it before, and don't let them use the heat thing. You're only 1b, so it really isn't neccessary to check it that way. Besides, using the blow fryer only fluffs it up, making it non realistic on a day to day basis ;)

Elphie
September 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'd call ahead and I'd probably use the "allergy" excuse even if it wasn't entirely the truth just to cut down on the explanation. But yeah, I'd do it, and I wouldn't care if anyone considered it tacky.

BlueWaterRed
September 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM
And who knows, maybe other clients of the salon have had a similar next day drying results that you've had, and it may prompt the salon to consider adding other products.

Flynn
September 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I'd call ahead and I'd probably use the "allergy" excuse even if it wasn't entirely the truth just to cut down on the explanation. But yeah, I'd do it, and I wouldn't care if anyone considered it tacky.

Seconded, though I definitely wouldn't bother calling ahead.

If you've been going to the same hairdresser for ages, I'm sure they'll understand. Just say you think there's something in that particular fragrance you think is irritating your skin. That way you're not criticising Kim or her product, so there's nothing to be bothered about. ^__^

maxzeen
September 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
hmm.. i dont think thats tacky at all. its almost like if u go to a nail salon and bring your own nail polish. it shouldnt be a problem if u have a good relationship with your stylist. hope this helps!

teela1978
September 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Calling first is probably a good idea. If they really insist on the MSDS thing (I really doubt that one shampoo MSDS is really all that different from another), it's highly likely that you can find a pdf of the msds for your shampoo/conditioner on the internet, print it out and bring it with you.

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I really don't think it is tacky or a big deal at all......
I agree w/ Maxzeen.... no different than bringing your own polish to a mani... and after all, they are not doing you a favor, you are the client......

heatherdazy
September 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Not tacky at all. Don't even give it a second thought. :)

Shiva
September 13th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I don't think it's tacky at all. If you prefer a certain shampoo and conditioner and you bring it then they should accommodate that. YOU are the customer after all and it is your hair.

I know I've brought oils with me when getting my hair washed, trimmed, etc and it was never a big deal.