PDA

View Full Version : Reading Lots About Cones..how often?

PhillyGirl1978@
September 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Ok so if you read my other post about my tangle issue, you know that I was contemplating going back to cones, at least in some capacity I just didn't wanna use sulphates. Well I bought some Aussie Moist and it totally took care of the tangles, not to mention the smell is great and it lingers. So with all these curls every time I turned my head I smelled it (YUMMY) I may not have used enough as leave in because I did start to loose hold last night (usually some conditioner left in along with some AVG and water is all I need) I'll be going out again tonight so I will use it again and this time more leave in. My question to you other coneheads is how often do you condition with cones? Does the smoothing effect of the cones stay on hair the next time you wet it? Also what do you think regarding length and the use of cones? I've read a bunch of other posts and it seems a lot of people with really long hair and also curly hair seem to use cones. I think maybe I would have ended up using them eventually anyway if I wanted to have nice hair past my waist.

I think I may be joining the ranks of you "coneheads" as soon as I can tell how bad the build-up is and whether I can get it off without sulphates.

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I am trying this myself..... have been cone free for 2 wks, then "used" once...... before I go whole hog, I am getting a REALLY small trim (clean up ends) and trying the Garnier triple nutrition condish. If that doesn't work, I will try sls free (which I am now), cone free most of the time, cone condish once a week (or as needed) and clarify once a month.......
I am trying to stay away from cones not because they are "naughty" (I know they work for some) but because my hair seems wavier w/out them (which I want) and the build-up/ SLS issue....... trying to be as gentle as possible.....

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I am trying to stay away from cones not because they are "naughty" (I know they work for some) but because my hair seems wavier w/out them (which I want)

Oh, duh. Is that why my hair quit being so wavy? :rolleyes:

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh, duh. Is that why my hair quit being so wavy? :rolleyes:

well, I don;t know... but the truth is, I was a devoted cone head w/out knowing it for years... and thought I had straight hair..... now I realize I am wavy.... the only things I am doing differently (other than growing it) is vitamins, being more gentle and no cones......

PhillyGirl1978@
September 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Well, I've certainly always know I had curly hair, for a while I thought it was just frizzy yucky curls, but that had a lot more to do with the fact that I didn't take care of it properly as opposed to the cones. I thought you needed to comb when dry, so of course I had frizzy pouffy hair. And I blow-dried for a lot of years, not to mention I shampooed way too much so I'm thinking the cones didn't really do it. In fact if the weight it down a little or loosen the curl a little I think I'm fine with that...I wanna get as much length as possible and the stretched curls are easier for me to handle.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Well, I'm doing good. Yesterday when I cowashed, after I rinsed it felt just as uncoated as it did before I ever used the coney conditioner, so it doesn't appear to be building up yet. I left a lot more Aussie as leave in last night and my hair looked fabulous for the whole night. Next time I head to walmart I think I will bite the bullet and buy the huge Aussie with the pump, and maybe I'll pick up a smaller bottle of another coney conditioner...so many options!lol

teela1978
September 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Well... I use coney conditioners about every 2-3 washes, sometimes less often... and even with sulphate shampoos, I find that I have the 'cone effect' on the ends for several washes (then again, my ends just get 'drip down' shampoo, so that could affect things).

When I was COing (couple years ago) I actually found that a week or two of cone-free CO's (so 8 maybe) made the coney feeling mostly go away.

So my belief system is that cones stick to the hair more than people think (in the sense that one SLS shampoo is probably not going to strip them all off... unless you use a LOT of shampoo and scrub all the way down the length, and that CO can remove them wtih time. Using cones daily without a detergent shampoo probably would allow for some buildup though.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I am pretty optimistic. When I first put the conditioner in and detangled and then rinsed, my hair felt coated, protected, silky. As I ran my fingers through it and rinsed some more under the shower spray my hair never lost that feeling. Usually when I use Suave the longer I rinse the more rough it feels. The next day I used my suave just for a slight co wash and when I rinsed it no longer felt coated, it felt just as rough as it usually does when I rinse all the conditioner out. So that made me think that the Aussie didn't stay on. The I used the Aussie to condition and it was nice again. I'm thinking that maybe I'll do my regular co-washes ever other day or so, and then maybe clarify with my VO5 clarifying and baking soda, followed by vinegar rinse. Keep your fingers crossed for me!lol

marikamt
September 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I know there is a giant thread here about the new garnier triple nutrition, but I thought I would post here since you and I are both debating cones/ no-cones......
Had a teeny tiny micro trim yesterday and bought the Triple Nutrition conditioner (no cones). I did not buy the shampoo as I am sticking w/ my sls free...... washed and conditioned a little while ago, am waiting for it to dry.. I think my hair feels really, really silky and good.... I will let you know when dry, but I may stick with this and not go back to cones yet.....

PhillyGirl1978@
September 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I know there is a giant thread here about the new garnier triple nutrition, but I thought I would post here since you and I are both debating cones/ no-cones......
Had a teeny tiny micro trim yesterday and bought the Triple Nutrition conditioner (no cones). I did not buy the shampoo as I am sticking w/ my sls free...... washed and conditioned a little while ago, am waiting for it to dry.. I think my hair feels really, really silky and good.... I will let you know when dry, but I may stick with this and not go back to cones yet.....

I saw that stuff too, I was suprised that it was no-cones. The only reason that I didn't get it is because I felt that I may have been needing a cone to help combat the tangles and get my curls to be silkier. Definitely keep me posted and good luck with that conditioner.

I am also thinking if the cone's do start to build up I may make up my own low-poo if I need something stronger than baking soda and vinegar. I may just get some cheap no cone shampoo, put a little in a squeeze bottle, add some water and then add lots of no-cone conditioner and shake it up. That may give just enough to remove build-up and not make my roots greasy and my ends dry, like normal shampoo usually does.

Let me know about the Triple Nutrition though...it does sound interesting. I'm just so excited to be looking at other conditioners besides Suave, that doesn't do much for me as far as moisture or tangles.

friskybiznus
September 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I tried the new Garnier conditioner and I really like it. Last night I washed my hair with Neutrogena clarifying shampoo and then used the Garnier to condition. Left it on for about 10 minutes, instead of 3. I had no tangles, my hair is thicker and softer. Thumbs up!