PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with clarifying!

Little_Bird
September 13th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm in need of serious help here: I do want to crarify. Basically because I want a clean scalp, and I am almost sure I have massive shampoo buildup.

I have huge bits of yellowish oily things on my scalp, sticking to my hair. Is clarifying going to help this? I'm really eagaring for a clean scalp. I never clarified before.

If so, how should I do it? I know I need baking soda, but do I dilute it? And with what? Does it have to be a specific conditioner? I feel my lenght is ok, should I do it just on my scalp?

Please help me... I wanted to do this still today...

And finally... is there any harm to clarifying with baking soda? Is there any kind of danger?

Thank's so much :flower:

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I tried mixing baking soda with my shampoo as described on the baking soda box, and ack! My hair matted up like felt. I literally could not get a comb or my fingers through it. It took 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks before it returned to normal. So don't try that. I also once tried 1/2-1 teaspoon (can't remember) of baking soda mixed into a quart of warm water and poured that slowly through my hair. My hair felt very dry afterwards but responded to oiling. So if you want to try baking soda - do it that way. Baking soda is alkaline and causes the cuticle to open; I'll never use it again.

If my hair needs to be clarified, I wash it with full-strength shampoo instead of diluting it. Sometimes I have to do it twice (shampoo, rinse, repeat), but this works without making my hair feel awful.

Little_Bird
September 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Spidermom, thank's for the quick reply...

Darn, it makes me awfully scared to have my scalp like this. Maybe it can be SD again.
My mother told me to let it be and that it should go away on it's own. But I'm thinking that I might be using a very heavy shampoo for my sensitive scalp. I will maybe try a new one and see if that does something.

I've read about baking soda while I waited for replies here and really it does seem very harsh, but I can't figure the other way round.
An option would then be a clarifying shampoo? Or, as you say, Spidermom, undiluted shampoo? But has it got to be a clarifying shampoo? Or a shampoo with no cones? I feel like my lenght likes the cones, but I'm not sure if my scalp if reacting this way because of it. It's so confusing... :confused:

I washed my hair today and it reacted like this just when it started to airdry. Now I'll only wash it again next week but untill then I so wanted to figure what to do ...

:( mmmmmmmmm......

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I usually dilute a small quirt of shampoo into about 1/2 cup of water. When I want to clarify, I use it full strength - any shampoo that I happen to have. I've never bought a clarifying shampoo. However, I don't have any scalp issues whatsoever. Perhaps you can try the baking soda rinse, but hold your length out of the way while you pour the solution slowly over your head. Then release your length and carefully massage your scalp from front to back (or back to front if you are leaning over with hair hanging down) before rinsing. That might help your scalp issues without drying out your length. Finish with a vinegar rinse to restore the pH level to slightly acid (which skin and hair prefer).

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Neutrogena makes a very nice clarifying shampoo. Not too harsh, but it really does a good job.

adiapalic
September 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM

I'm in need of serious help here: I do want to crarify. Basically because I want a clean scalp, and I am almost sure I have massive shampoo buildup.

I have huge bits of yellowish oily things on my scalp, sticking to my hair. Is clarifying going to help this? I'm really eagaring for a clean scalp. I never clarified before.

If so, how should I do it? I know I need baking soda, but do I dilute it? And with what? Does it have to be a specific conditioner? I feel my lenght is ok, should I do it just on my scalp?

And finally... is there any harm to clarifying with baking soda? Is there any kind of danger?

Is it itchy? Because from your description, it sounds like it might be fungal dandruff. There are shampoos that can clear this up. Also, I've read that diluted tea tree oil helps--someone more experienced with that kind of treatment would have to verify that here for you.

Heidi_234
September 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Baking soda should be followed by an ACV rinse to restore the mantle acid. But for clarifying you don't have to use baking soda. If you have product build up, regular simple shampoo (for normal hair, as they tend to market it) with as little additives as possible will do the trick. Also important is to follow clarifying with moisture treatment, because you strip you hair from everything, including essential oils that help it preserve moisture and elasticity.

Dolly
September 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM

When I clarify I use Suave clarifying shampoo....it is cheap, and it works.

What you have does sound like SD.....my son had it really bad, and even a doctor prescribed treatment didn't work. We started him on Chagrin Valley Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bars, and his scalp is 100% clear. You may want to check it out.

Teacherbear
September 13th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I use baking soda mixed with my shampoo. I love it. The only caution I know of is that it can cause problems if you chemically color your hair. I don't remember what it does, though.

I mix a teaspoon or two of baking soda with my shampoo. I use more shampoo than I usually do. I make it into a texture about like cake or brownie batter. I rinse REALLY well. I also make sure I condition well, even my scalp (which I don't normally condition).

I love it! It is very gentle for my hair.

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I use baking soda mixed with my shampoo. I love it. The only caution I know of is that it can cause problems if you chemically color your hair. I don't remember what it does, though.

I mix a teaspoon or two of baking soda with my shampoo. I use more shampoo than I usually do. I make it into a texture about like cake or brownie batter. I rinse REALLY well. I also make sure I condition well, even my scalp (which I don't normally condition).

I love it! It is very gentle for my hair.

Isn't that weird!? Our hair looks statistically similar, but BS, particularly mixed with shampoo, is the kiss of death for my hair.

Little_Bird
September 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Gosh, this is so frustrating!... After searching even more, this is looking more and more like another SD attack.

I don't know wether I should worry or not tough. I've had SD on and off and I only acted on it once, when it was very itchy and flaky. I had it on my scalp, right on top of my ears. I remeber using a shampoo and a lotion, but it was like 4 years ago?

I'm so scared that it can lead to hair loss. I'm actually terrified. I don't know what to do. I also wouldn't be surprised with a mixture of dry scalp here, because I have places right in my front hairline that look rather dry, and the yellow flakes are located a little higher on the head, but only on the right side. It doesn't itch tough, which is even more confusing...

What should I do?
Do you think it would be ok if I wait a week or so to see if it goes away? If it doesn't, I'm taking the plunge and talk to a dermatologist... again :(

:cry: gee...

GlassEyes
September 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Honestly, if I were mixing BS with anything, it'd be conditioner--NOT shampoo. Most shampoos have enough SS in them to be clarifying (read, any), so I don't know why you'd need Baking soda. A natural shampoo, maybe, but I'd still go towards adding it to conditioner.