PDA

View Full Version : how often do you trim your hair?

cleanbug
September 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hi there, just wondering how often most of you trim your ends if you are growing them out? I henna & do not blowdry or use any hot irons.
I thought I could get away with only trimming it once this year but it seems that when I get to the 5-6 month mark, when I run my hands through it, my fingers start to snag on the ends only.
Last time, just like clockwork, at 5 months, I would get that snagging. I had 1/2 inch trimmed.
Now, 5 months again (almost to the day) I am getting that same sensation.

Do most of you trim or just let the hair get snaggly and keep growing?
thanks tami

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM
oh yuck, I am going thru this right now... I used to be a religious trimmer pre-lhc.... every 3 months (more if shorter). I have now gone at least 9 months, if not longer.... am thinking I need a little trim to shape and am noticing the ends (despite good care)... I am thinking 1/4 to 1/2 inch... I think it will also regenerate me and keep me going when it is a little more shaped up (I have layers)

Das Siechtum
September 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Since I barely have any split ends, I dont trim. :-)

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Rub it in........ :lol:

Garnet66
September 13th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I haven't had a cut since December of last year. Luckily, my ends are doing pretty good and only occasionally get tangled. I plan on getting my ends trimmed in December, maybe. As for split ends I can't really see the ends of my hair so I have no idea if I have them or not.

noelgirl
September 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm very split-prone (although I'm still growing out some pre-LHC damage, so maybe eventually I won't be so much), so it's been every 3-4 months. I know it needs it when it starts to actually feel shorter because it's tangling up at the ends instead of hanging nicely.

curls2grow
September 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I trim regularly. I use the "ends tangle" test too to determine when it's needed. For years, I've typically needed a trim at about the 2 month mark. Now I'm pushing it to about 10 weeks because I'm trying to get more length, but if I put off a trim too long my ends break off when I undo the tangles.

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Every 3-4 months works best for me. July 08 to July 09 I didn't trim at all, but I didn't like the results.

brownthistle
September 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
i do trim. first every 2 months, but found this too often, so now i decided to do it like 2 or 3 times a year and then only very small trims of course :)

AJoifulNoise
September 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I would say that if your hair seems to need it every 5 months, then that is when you should trim. Though, I would have to ask if you are using anything on your ends to prevent this feeling (oils, salves, etc.). It may be that your ends just need a little extra pampering.

Anyway, to your question: I trim once about every 6 months. I find that that is often enough that my ends stay split-free and thick. Also, I am working on getting rid of old box dye.

viking_quest
September 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I only trim once a year and that's to even up the hemline (since I received a lucky gene and barely get any splits) because it grows like this \_| and that is not attractive.

maxzeen
September 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
hmm well im not very prone to split ends. and i am try to grow out my layers but i will usually get a trim every six months or ill wait even longer.

Addy
September 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I don't get splits either. <--- Not trying to rub it in, I just don't get them. Hopefully it'll stay that way. I think the last time I trimmed was in January and it was only minor, I did it myself. I was going to do atleast a 1" trim in May but wanted to see my maximum growth by the time my one year anniversary comes up, here shortly as a matter of fact. :D

I think I'll hold out til December and have a good 2" cut off.

<tring to lose the dye> ;)

Xandergrammy
September 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't trim. Ever.

aisling
September 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I trim about twice a year and that's more because I want to keep an even hemline. The ends are in quite good condition these days after many years of good care and despite splits here and there, they don't feel really rough and bad most times. I think how often to trim or deciding not to trim at all is very individual, some want and need regular trims, for others no trimming at all work.

mira-chan
September 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I don't get much splits, only on some hairs on the every ends which I S&D occasionally. Otherwise not unless I feel like it and I rarely do.

Loreley
September 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I trim once in every two months. Half an inch or so. Actually, I decided not to trim until January (I trimmed two weeks ago). Hope I can do it! I've trimmed often so far because I had fairytale ends. Soooo thin... Only a few hairs were the 'ends'. My hair looked very unhealthy that way. It's getting thicker now because of the trims. :cheese:

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've trimmed it myself about every 4 months, just taking a teeny amount of the tip of my hair. Recently I got a hairdresser to trim it for me and she took about an inch off. Hoping I can wait at least 6 months or longer for the next one!

Mutinous
September 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I usually trim once every 6 weeks, though I am thinking of getting quite a big chop to get rid of my bad ends (due to sun, sand, sea and hair dye *facepalm*) and then see how it goes from there. I once went 9 months without a cut and I had barely any split ends!

I would say, just do what feels right for your hair!

Dreamernz
September 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Well I got mine trimmed today at work (as a receptionist part time at my mum's salon, whopeee free products, hair cuts and colour!!!) I generally get trimmed when it feels like it needs it but only trim my fringe regularly as it gets into my eyes :(

camirra555
September 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I used to trim once every three or four months but I'm trying to do it once every six months instead. My last trim was April 3rd. I'm going to try to make it to November before I get another one

eshta
September 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Last year I trimmed 0.5-1" every 2 months to get rid off layers and damage, most of it is gone now but I didn't gain any lenght. My last cut was at the beginning of August. I hope to keep my ends happy until January, so I can finally start to see some length progress.

Honey39
September 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I trim about half an inch every three months - interestingly, since I have been here (June 2008), despite trimming at least a couple of inches, my hair is about six inches longer; for me, a regular little trim really seems to encourage great growth, which I wouldn't have expected!

I'm pretty nice to my hair - lots of oiling, conditioning, no brushing etc; the only "bad" thing I do is to colour it (chocolate and copper), and I don't seem to get much split ends. The thing that trashed my hair was the hair dryer and straightening irons. Since I stopped that, my hair is in really good condition. But I like to trim my ends every three months because of the dye; it helps keep the ends really thick and in good condition. I asked my hairdresser honestly for an assessment of the ends yesterday, and she said no, a trim was fine. I was so happy, like getting no treatment at the dentist, lol!!!

I guess it varies, but I haven't found that regular trims slows down my growth at all, and i feel like I'm making sure that the ends don't get tattered or worn - which on ME they definitely do!!

naselflee
September 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I trim 0.5 to an inch every couple of months. I'm trying to get rid of all the damaged I'v done to my over the years. So I haven't gained any lenght in about a year.

Shastrix
September 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hello all, first post... :)

I am 24 year old from the UK who is currently growing his hair from "short back and sides" to an eventual goal of somewhere near his waist/belt. At the moment I'm between shoulder and "BSL" length and loving my hair! :D

A year ago, whilst still in the "awkward phase", I was bullied into a disastrous haircut as I was attending a film première in Leicester Square. I nearly gave up long hair entirely due to the experience, however, my "2 week rule" (I must hate my long hair every day for 14 days before cutting) saved me... About 5 months ago I had enough taken off to straighten out the bottom of the hair for my wedding. Since then I have purchased a good pair of hair scissors and regularly do S&D missions. I don't foresee a trim being necessary in the near future, although my fringe is irritatingly lagging behind the rest of my hair so it might need some help to catch up. :undecided

Eden Iris
September 13th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I didn't trim for about a year and a half (I don't split either), but the layers and taper have been bugging me, so once my hair hit waist, I started taking about an inch off every month and will continue until my hemline is more substantial.

Eniratak
September 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I don't trim at all, but I suppose that's just me. XD.

MissManda
September 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I am not very good at self-trimming. The last time I tried a self-trimming, I accidentally took off a bit more hair than I had originally intended. My partner was extremely upset when I did that, I think he nearly cried. :( I felt so horrible after that. So I'm not going to try self-trimming again for a long time.

I try to get a trim at least every 4-6 months. I am very paranoid about going to hair salons because they keep telling me to perm it or keep it short. Not to mention, I have a massive headache by the time I leave because of all of the nasty chemicals they use in there.

Rohele
September 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I've been going to my stylist every 4-5 months for a small trim. I'm trimming off damage, and it seems if I go any longer than that, and the ends start to get really gross. When I was younger and had it long, I would go about once a year to even the ends up, but I wasn't dyeing it or heat styling as much back then.

I want to start self trimming, but I'm scared I'll mess it up.

Heavenly Locks
September 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I haven't trimmed in almost a year (october) and my ends are doing great...

Have you tried clarifying your ends? Mine felt sticky/crispy and that's what they wanted. :)

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I posted earlier and said it had been 9 mos since my last trim.... well, I had a trim today, she only took off about 1/8 inch (no more than 1/4), a micro-trim... I feel much better. She also told me my hair was in great condition, so I probably did not need it, but it was reinforcing/ reassuring that it was healthy. I will prob wait another year before the next one.

squiggyflop
September 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
im split end prone.. i think its because half my hair is fine and the other half is medium.. i trim fairly often.. ive trimmed 13 inches in 2 years.. if i hadnt had to trim my hair would be about 47 inches by now.. stupid split ends, i would be on my way to knee if not for them.. hmmm wouldnt that be weird.. going from shoulder to mid thigh in 2 years..

julya
September 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I trim only very rarely, less than once per year.

cleanbug
September 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
thanks for everyones replies. i ended up going to the hairdresser & getting a trim. she took off an inch & i really only needed a half inch but my hair does feel much better. i think i will see if i can make it to 8 months before my next trim. in answer to someones question, i do use coconut oil on my ends...it is wonderful stuff. makes the hair feel great.
thanks
tami

SandyStar
September 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't trim my hair at all. I just get haircuts, but now that I'm growing it long, I'm going to see if I can get away with not trimming at all. So far I haven't found any split ends.

silverspun
September 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM
While growing my hair out this time around I'm going to get trims probably 2-3 times a year. And they won't be big trims, just "dusting". I will do it myself once my hair is long and shaped as I want it. But since it's short I need someone else to trim it for me and thankfully I have a hairstylist that understands.

peachrose
September 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
In the last year I have been trimming roughly every 3 months. I get a lot of splits from past heat styling, rough combing and other abuse. Now that I've overhauled my routine it should eventually lessen.

heatherdazy
September 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I trim every 3 months or so. I also color treat and (occasionally) heat style my hair. For me, getting an extra 1/4" a few months sooner just isn't worth living with my natural color and never being able to blow it out if I'm in a rush.

bluewhiteblue
September 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I went over a year without a trim since I couldn't afford it. Then I decided I liked my extra growth and decided to start intentionally growing it longer and taking even better care of my hair. I've done two tiny self-trims in the last 4 months or so. I do weekly S&D missions though.

krissykins
September 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I am getting the urge to trim a little, even though I promised myself to not trim for at least six months (it's been three). However, my ends are thin and it depresses me.

I think that if you feel nothing can be done about your ends, you should trim them. Have you tried anything like oiling your ends or whatever?

yogachic
September 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Only once a year. At the most 2, at the least, zero.

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
That actually sounds like a good trimming schedule - twice a year is very good for most. Maybe three times. I actually have to trim frequently (as in once every 2 months at least) to keep my ends even. I prefer a thick hemline, and my hair grows insanely fast, so it gets uneven rather quickly. :(

Peter
September 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
When my ends feel rough or tangle easily, I do a small trim. It seems to be around every few months.

ambychelle
September 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
In the past mine has gotten a trim or cut about once every 9-12 months. My hair must grow slowly because even with such little cutting it always seems about the same length, somewhere between APL and BSL. I think once it hits BSL I always get cranky with how much damage I see and end up letting the stylist chop 4-5 inches (I always ask for 2-3 but it always ends up being more like 4-5 when it's done)

IF my volume comes back I'd really like it to be closer to waist length. So, that means I probably will self trim 1/2 inch or so every 3 months. I think a blunt cut with no taper will help it feel fuller. I think trims more often rather than one big cut a year will be good for me.

Haldir
September 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM
I almost never do... I haven't trimmed for a year and a half now and I probably won't in the near future.

Amraann
September 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM
WHen it needs it ..... Sometimes once a year sometimes twice.

freckles
September 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
I went two years + without cutting, but I just got it cut recently. I probably won't wait another two years, but I'm not sure how long I will wait.

Rainchants
September 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I have to trim my hair every 3 months. If not, it would get too thin quickly.