PDA

View Full Version : Updo question: Formal Brookie Updo

Chanteuse87
September 13th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Hey all,
So yesterday I attempted the formal brookie updo, as I had a wedding to attend. the rope braiding I had no problem with, but I wasn't sure how to go about coiling the braids properly to make a cohesive updo. It ended up looking all right, but just not as nice as others that I've seen.
When coiling, do you coil the first one in a large loop around the crown, and the others inside of that? Or what?

Thanks for your help!

eadwine
September 13th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Forgive me.. I know a lot of updos, but a brookie updo?

Care to share a link for the ignorant (me ;) )?

Gumball
September 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=34) it is, eadwine!

I think you're pretty on the dot about it, Chanteuse87. The first one is just coiled on the crown, then the next one is coiled where the braid basically goes through the prior loop like a coil that threaded the eye of a needle, which is then pinned so you can tick away the tassel. The same is repeated for the final coil, so you have three loops, two of which are going through the loop above them. Sometimes I think the look can change depending on the length of the hair and how wide the coils are. In times when longer hair is dealt with a little finagling can come in handy. 8)

Looking alright is still leaps and bounds better than utterly terrible! :D I hope you had a great time at the wedding.

eadwine
September 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Gumball :)

Chanteuse87
September 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply! When you say going through the prior loop as through the eye of a needle, do you mean you're in effect weaving the braids together as you coil them around? I'm usually pretty good at this kind of thing, but I just couldn't make sense of the pics in the tutorial :/
And yeah, the wedding was fun! Kind of surreal, as it was the first friend's wedding (of the same age group) that I'd been to. I'm sure it's only the first of many, though :)

Gumball
September 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That's how I made sense of the pictures, especially the bottom row when the loops are being made. That's what the second photo in the row shows. The first loop is made, and then the second one begins by threading through the first loop.

It's good to hear that the wedding went well! I understand how it's sure different when you hit the point in life where those you know are getting married instead of just those your parents know.

BlueWaterRed
September 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Your shine is amazing!