PDA

View Full Version : Debating a chop- stop me!

Jules diamond
September 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'm so close to getting to the end of my second summer growing!

But a cute short cut that I can dye all kinds of colors is starting to tempt me.

Help!

Heidi_234
September 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Itching, isn't it? Eyes on the prize. :) You were short already, and you decided to grow it out, for a reason. It takes time.

You're 2c/3a, I thought I was too but lately I'm discovering so much curl action in my hair that I'm not sure anymore. If you want a change or something hair-related to occupy yourself with, why don't you discover your curls? If you'd hover over naturallycurly picture threads - they seem to have the most amazing curls!

In any case, don't forget the 2-week rule in case you do decide to got for it.

Chrissy
September 13th, 2009, 04:32 AM
(It's totally up to you of course but since you're asking...) DON'T DO IT!!! :) How's that? Ummm....lets see....YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!! How about.......IT TAKES FOREVER TO GROW BACK!!!! You will have to go through all the frustration of the growing out process (think UGLY PHASE....Help!!!!!!!!!)

If none of these makes you say well maybe I don't want to do it then just cut it.

I have cut several times and always regretting not too long after wards. I'm not getting any younger and when I think back to the times it was getting pretty long and I cut it's frustrating. As everyone always says two week rule. It is your hair after all so in the end the decision is totally up to you.

I wish you the best as you decide.

Toadstool
September 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM

But a cute short cut that I can dye all kinds of colors is starting to tempt me.

Help!

Well if you want to dye it cool colours why don't you just bleach one strand that you can then dye and leave the rest? Or you could cut in a fringe and dye that??

Kris Dove
September 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Well if you want to dye it cool colours why don't you just bleach one strand that you can then dye and leave the rest? Or you could cut in a fringe and dye that??
Great idea- Or perhaps you could dye the tips?

I've been there done that- I used to dye my hair all the time so when I wanted to back to my roots I chopped my BSL hair into a pixie cut as it was so fried... it's took me almost 4 years to get it back to BSL, with a few hairdressers bweing far too scissor-happy, and that annoying inbetween stage that takes months has put me off putting any more harsh dyes on it.

Perhaps a herbal dye like henna, cassia or indigo might be nice and non-damaging though? I'm considering maybe doing this myself...

Melisande
September 13th, 2009, 06:22 AM
What about buying some clip-in strands of crazy-colored hair? Play around with hair toys and bandannas. If I was you, I wouldn't cut. Maybe a trim if it makes you feel better. But to have short hair again and knowing that the length you have now is months away...? Puh-lease.

Of course this is only true if you really really really want to have long hair and feel that your inner self image has long hair and that you have to let it grow. There are many people greatly happy with short cuts that they dye and change and re-cut and style and treat like a fashion accessory. That's fine and can look very nice, too. If you want it and still apply the TLHC rules of gentle hair care ;-), even better.

The journey towards long hair should be pleasurable, not frustrating. If your heart's desire is shorter hair, go ahead.

But if you are a longhair at heart, don't cut. Take two weeks, look inside yourself, meditate about it or request a dream before you go to sleep.

And after you decide and cut or don't: don't regret it. Leave the decision behind and forget it.

marikamt
September 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I am w/ Chrissy.... wait the two week rule.
I cut mine a ton of times when it was about your length (usually for something cute and fun, or feeling more styled or frustration at stages). I ALWAYS loved it when I had it done.... then a few months later, not so much so. Then I would see pictures of my "longer" hair and kick myself. This time I am pushing thru until waist. There are days I love my hair and days I don't (awkward stage).
Obviously it is totally up to you, I know a ton of girls who look darling with short hair.... just make sure it is not just a momentary itch you will regret.
good luck!

tangocurl
September 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Help!

I agree with the other posters. Please just put it up for a month and forget about it. Get yourself some fun accessories if you wear them ever, like a new pair of earrings or a scarf, or a new lipstick--anything to sort of brighten up what you see in the mirror without changing your hair. Or add novelty to your routine--a new scent of Suave can be yours for only $1 and change. I have always regretted cuts and dye; they are very hard on curly hair.

There, I hope I stopped the chop!

sherigayle
September 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Buy a cute hair toy instead. Flexi-8s aren't too expensive and you can use them a lot of different ways. And temporary hair dyes are fun. I've been using Punky Color and it comes out really nice and shiny. And all my white hairs are a striking purple now.

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Don't cut it. Don't make me come over there.

BlueWaterRed
September 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Don't cut it - you'll have that awful sinking regretful feeling when it's done. Do you have any photos when it was short to remind you why you're doing the amazing awesome beautiful act of growing it out? Your hair is beautiful now ... keep growing and loving it.

Redheaded Raven
September 13th, 2009, 09:09 AM
If you want a new look try wigs they are fun,
And you get to keep your hair long :) HTH

jahof45
September 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
INTERVENTION TEAM ONE:

We have a Code Red. Bring rope as we will have to tie this one down.

Now, Jules, why would you want to cut and dye your hair. It's so beautiful the way it is and it's growing longer everyday. Just step away from the dye and no one will get hurt.

*Intervention Team surrounding Jules*

GET HER!! Hog-tie and sit on her quick before she realizes our intent. Someone needs to cancel that appointment because the stylist may be evil and make her hair into an non-salvageable style.

*sitting on Jules*

Now, Jules, you know you'll have a 50/50 chance that the stylist will cut your hair WRONG just because s/he believes they know what is best for you. You might really get hurt and spend the next few months in your room so no one will see the awful cut.

I'll just sit on Jules for the next couple weeks and see if she doesn't change her mind. I hope you don't snore when you sleep.

Kids, don't try this at home. Just say NO to scissors or dye! Please use the 2 week rule before you change your hair!

Shiva
September 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Help!
oh my... someone send the hair police to this young lady's house STAT!

sibylla
September 13th, 2009, 09:47 AM
When you think about cutting-think of me saying:

PUT THOSE SCISSORS DOWN!!:patrol:

Xandergrammy
September 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm going to add my tiny voice of reason here. This young lady is 17 years old!!! She has a whole lifetime to grow her hair. If she wants to waste all that hair growing time so that she can have fun with different colors, let her!! Having said that, I hope you don't cut that beautiful hair of yours. Hope that helps. :gabigrin:

jahof45
September 13th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, I know XG, but an intervention is too much fun to resist! :p

ETA: can I just sit on her for a few more minutes?

spidermom
September 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm going to add my tiny voice of reason here. This young lady is 17 years old!!! She has a whole lifetime to grow her hair. If she wants to waste all that hair growing time so that she can have fun with different colors, let her!! Having said that, I hope you don't cut that beautiful hair of yours. Hope that helps. :gabigrin:

XG, she specifically requested that we stop her.

Consider yourself stopped Jules D.

o0sarah0o
September 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
What I always do when I'm tempted to cut my hair short is always wearing it up and forget about it. So no checking how much my hair is grown etc, just forget it. Then when I really check it months later I'm always surprised how much my hair is grown and really get motivated to let it grow longer. This always works good for me.

Sarah

PhillyGirl1978@
September 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Use the 2 week rule. Every time I have a passing thought about how much easier my hair would be to manage if it were shorter and how nice the ends feel when I get a bunch cut off. But that thought never last long, the fact that long hair is so versatile, not to mention it makes me feel unique. But it certainly takes dedication.

Shiva
September 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
but, bbbut, BUT.. friends don't let friends cut their hair or drive drunk.

friskybiznus
September 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with waiting two (or three or four) weeks, and then deciding. In the meantime, I agree with finding some new hairtoys, playing with a new style...something fun and different, but not so...drastic.

Then, after waiting, you still want to go for it, then go for it! It's about what you really want for you! Best of luck and keep us posted!:poot:

Gumball
September 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think the main thing is that if you're asking us to stop you, then basically you've stopped yourself already! I believe that's the difference than just "debating a chop" and adding that "stop me!" at the end of it. It shows you still want to grow your hair longer, even though you find the options for shorter hair alluring. You'll hop over the hurdle eventually and be back being happy with your continually growing hair. Go snag a wig somewhere and have fun with it.

wizboo
September 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
honestly dont do it! this probably makes it more tempting but just think how long and gruelling the growing out process could be... i did this a year and a bit ago and am now a few cm past bsl- i am so pleased! just think how good you'll feel when you slide out those hairsticks and curly springy wurls of hair tumble down your back!

try discovering new shampoos or styles, to keep you going... good luck

longhairedfairy
September 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
You can always put stripes in the front or why not just dye all your hair without cutting it? You don't have to bleach it. It will just fade more quickly and probably won't be quite as bold, but there are dyes that still look pretty bright on unbleached hair. Then again, if you're really happy with shorter hair in bold colors why not go for it?

gibsongirl71
September 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I feel your pain! I have been so tempted to cut mine again because it is at such an awkward length. So last night I pulled out my vintage hair combs and other assorted hair toys. Playing with my hair helps keep me from cutting it. You may want to try some new updo styles.

emeraldfaery
September 13th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Noooooooo! Don't cut! Use the suggestions already mentioned. It's all great advice. Temp dye that washes out in 10 or so washes is a lot of fun. When I was at classic I temp dyed my hair fire-engine red and it was sooo pretty, but it wasn't permanent and it made my hair soft and shiny.

I'm just now growing back from a chop in March that took me from tailbone to shoulder length and do I ever regret it!! I was so stupid to just do it without thinking. It was after a fight with my boyfriend and I didn't even think about it. Just did it. Please take at least a couple weeks to think it over more. Look around here at all the beautiful heads of hair. Look at my album! Gah.

Addy
September 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Well, I can't stop you... I don't even know where you live!

No matter what you do, just think about it with the two week rule. Once two weeks are up, give it another two weeks. :D After that, if you still want to cut it all off and dye it ten different shades of purple, you should be able to do it with no regrets. Hopefully...

Jumping off the soapbox now. :soapbox:

Jules diamond
September 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
*scribbles down all the tips* Maybe some pink on the tips would be nice for a while....I'm up for a trim in a month anyway.

There will be no cutting for me- I promise. Thanks for snapping me out of it and reminding me about that awful in between period of growth.

You guys are the best!

Debra83
September 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM
TWO WEEK RULE!!!!! THEN TWO MORE IF YOU ARE NOT TOTALLY COMFORTABLE WITH IT!!!

It's been about 15 years since I cut the last of my long, long hair off, and I've never had it that long again. REGRET, REGRET, REGRET.

friskybiznus
September 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
There will be no cutting for me- I promise. Thanks for snapping me out of it and reminding me about that awful in between period of growth.

You guys are the best!

((dusting off hands)) Ladies, our work is done here. :D

windinherhair
September 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Get a wig. Have some fun with that for a while. You just may be relieved when you get tired of that look how you are glad you didn't cut off your hair. That is what I did a couple years ago. The big mistake I made was in 2000 when I cut my hair short and 3 months later I wanted my long hair back. I vote the 3 month rule. LOL. So a couple years ago I got a wig and wore it for the winter months and it worked out better. :)

Addy
September 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
YAY! :joy: I'm so glad you're NOT cutting it and pink tips sounds so cool. I have red hair color here that I was thinking about putting to use on my tips. :D I haven't quite decided yet. I may wait a bit more before doing it. :cool:

Enjoy your hair JD! It's too beautiful to chop off!

Tressie
September 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
YIKES! I just found this thread! I'm so glad that LHC members were "on call"!! I think you would have regretted the chop! WHEW!! (o:

Pumpkin
September 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thank Heavens you are not chopping. :joy: