PDA

View Full Version : Tips for protecting hair in the winter

pdy2kn6
September 13th, 2009, 12:45 AM
So winter is nearly here...already!!! I don't know about in the states but I can surely say in England (north west) we have definately not had much of a summer! It's been raining most days since the start of summer holidays, the most sun we have probly had is the past 3 days when its been cloud-less. Now the temperature is getting really crisp and cold though and I thought we could share our different ways of protecting our hair in the winter/cold weather. I have not been a long hair grower for as long as many other people on this site, so perhaps you guys have more tips about what you do with your hair in winter (in terms of what oils/how much oil on a daily basis etc etc). Anyone do heavy oiling on a daily basis during the winter months? Which oils locks in moisture and protect best during the cold period? Do you do anything different to your hair in the winter? :)

oogie
September 13th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Sounds alot like the weather here. We didn't reach 90's all summer which is rare, if ever. This has been one of the wettest summers I can remember for the past 20 plus years if not a touch longer.

As for me and my own winter care, the most I do is to put a warm hat on or cover with a scarf. I add just a touch more oil sometimes and check to make sure the house doesn't get too dry. You can dry out even in winter. Other than that, I try to not to go out with wet hair, might freeze and break. (again this is just me)

I wish you all the best in your hair journey and that your winter isn't too harsh on you and yours. :grouphug:

tangocurl
September 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM
My hair has frozen before, but fortunately it did not break. I definitely struggle with winter, waiting for my hair to dry, feeling chilly while it is wet, and then there's the dreaded HAT HAIR. I'm going to have to make sure that I allow my hair to dry overnight, and figure out some cute ways to braid it so that it stays inside a hat without too much fuzziness.

As for oiling, routine, etc. I frequently used shea butter last two winters and tried to pull off second day hair (which usually required a curling iron in strategic spots--yeah, I know--but the shea butter is fairly protective). I'm getting more serious about avoiding the curling iron except for very special occasions (frustration while getting ready for work in the morning does not count) so I will need to learn some more updos to get me through the winter. It is easy to get into a rut.

ChloeDharma
September 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I mainly keep my hair heavily oiled in the winter and use sesame or almond oil more than coconut. As i keep my hair bunned all the time it doesn't matter that it's really oily.
Increasing moisture treatments helps too as central heating and the sudden change in temperatures going from indoors to outdoors (especially when out shopping) can dry hair out more.

09robiha
September 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I just wanted to post because I live in the north west of england too!!! I sooo understand about the weather lol.

Angharad
September 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I have noticed that when it gets really freezing cold, the oil makes my hair stiff!
I wear my hair in a braid so I can tuck it in under my coat. I don't have a special routine for winter; I guess as protection against to much dehydration from the central heating you can make sure you use freqent SMT's to keep your hair moisturised.

halo_tightens
September 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I need to start thinking about this too... This will be my first winter since actually starting to care about the condition of my hair, so I have no past experience to draw upon. It does get wicked cold sometimes in Illinois... Bleh. I despise winter.

So far, my basic plan is just to make sure I keep up with the SMTs to avoid drying out, and maybe using a little more oil than I've been using to keep the moisture in. I'll be watching for any more ideas that I might find useful!

Anje
September 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
We've had a cooler-than-average summer here too (reminds me of home in Wisconsin...), though the weather's still warm for now.

My standard winter care is just to use fewer sticks and wear a hat I can pull right over my bun. Or wear a braid, which goes inside my coat. Pretty easy. My only hangup is that my oil production seriously increases in the winter, and it's already starting to step up a few notches.

Jessikinz
September 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
What's worked for my hair in the winter time is to oil just a little bit more than I normally would. If I don't then my hair will become very dry. This winter I'm planning on trying different oils. Also I don't like wearing hats, no matter how cold it is outside. So I usually just wear scarves and sometimes I'll tuck my hair underneath my jacket. Deep conditioning treatments save my hair during the winter.

Mutinous
September 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I mainly just wear hats in the winter, they protect my hair, and I can tuck it all up underneath it and not worry about it all day (though admittedly, I am a student and do not have to worry about dress codes and such).

I would stick to updos, keep the ends out of the harshness of the weather, and just condition and oil more.

clairenewcastle
September 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Soo glad to see two posts from the north west of England - I'm from the north east of England! The only good thing about the weather we've had this summer is that a lack of sun means I haven't had to wear a sun hat, last year I realised that I needed to start protecting my hair from the elements and as I garden a lot it means I've spent a lot of time exposing my hair to the sun and wind. Unfortunately I made the mistake last summer of piling my hair up under a baseball cap virtually every time I put my nose out the door. The result? Well, my hair wasn't lightened by the sun the way it normally is every summer (I've naturally mousey hair with...cringe...Sun In lightened strands...yes yes, I know...shame on me!) but after about three months I realised my hair looked dull and had STOPPED GROWING! Someone helpfully pointed out that I wasn't allowing the air to circulate round my scalp so I ditched the head gear, allowed the stiff north easterly wind that blows across Northumberland to blow through my tresses and after about one month normal growth was resumed! Yes, at times last winter the baseball cap came out again, as did a woolly hat that clung to my head and FLATTENED all it protected (cold ears are not pleasant) but I made a point of not wearing them too often.

truepeacenik
September 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Funny I should see this thread. Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park was closed overnight (but not yet for the season) because of blizzard conditions. So, I call this officialy "fall into winter."
I bun and cover with a hat, mostly. I do oil my hair more in winter. and I try to keep it up as much as possible so it doesn't blow and tangle.

windinherhair
September 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
My first winter on LHC and in Southern California so it won't be the same. :) Before I would wear my hair down all the time and no special treatment... even when it was freezing outside.

QueenAnne'sLace
September 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Drink Drink Drink Water!!!
A hydrated body makes for happy hair. Also proper protein and fat levels help.

Oil seems to be a popular idea here. I wholeheartedly agree.:cheese::cheese::cheese:

girloctopus
September 14th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm going to try to improve my knitting skills and make a few hats that are large enough to contain my hair and cover my ears well! (I have stretched earlobes, and it's important to keep them warm.) Thankfully, weather here in the SF Bay Area is more mild than the weather where I grew up in northern California.