PDA

View Full Version : My first ponytail...............?

Pburgh56
September 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi as a guy on the journey of growing long hair, I can honestly say that I cannot wait to have my first ponytail. I am anxious to have my hair long enough to successfully pulled back and I think it will be a great accomplishment. I was wondering for everyone on here, do you remember your first ponytail on the way to growing long hair? HOw long was it when u could pull it back and how did you feel?

marikamt
September 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM
My first ponytail was a ponystub.... :lol: Maybe chin length?

Kaileida
September 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
When I chopped my hair off at 13 and later could finally put it all up with the help of a couple clips, I was so happy! That first ponytail feels great. Just a hint... it happens sooner if you flip your head over and gather it all up closer to the crown of your head. ;)
My hair was just brushing my shoulders at the time.

friskybiznus
September 12th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah, mine was also about chin length or a bit longer. I remember being sooo excited about finally being able to pull it back. I went to work and showed one of my coworkers. "Look!", I said. "I have a ponytail!" She retorted, "That's not a ponytail! That's a pumpernickle!"
:)

Chrissy
September 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
That is always a nice accomplishment. I love my pony tail. It's a great way to have it up and out of your face. Also keeps my mind off of it as I grow. You will get there and when you do you'll have to post a pic.

Also welcome to this wonderful community.

linda g
September 13th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Oh, I remember being very excited when I could finally gather up that first ponytail!

david
September 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah as a guy as well, your first ponytail really is a milestone...I was actually really excited to reach that point. For me I was able to do my first pony around shoulder. I did do various pony-stumps for really warm days or when I wanted my hair out of the way. Obviously during the growing out stages I had lots of layers so I resorted to a bit of creative styling using bobby pins, alicebands/headbands and having a long fringe/bangs.

But when I met people I knew for the first time with a ponytail it was always a talking point, especially if i hadn't met the person in a year or two. But yeah, it really is a great milestone.

maxzeen
September 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
i remember being very excited for my first ponytail. when u finally get there it will definately be a milestone for you! :)

bte
September 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It's a very big milestone - the first time you are able to do anything other than have loose hair. Even though it was several years ago, I can still remember my first ponytail and the reaction from people who saw it. I would guess about chin length.

Happy growing!

yellowchariot
September 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi as a guy on the journey of growing long hair, I can honestly say that I cannot wait to have my first ponytail. I am anxious to have my hair long enough to successfully pulled back and I think it will be a great accomplishment. I was wondering for everyone on here, do you remember your first ponytail on the way to growing long hair? HOw long was it when u could pull it back and how did you feel?

^ I don't remember right off when I was first able to do a ponytail, but I think my hair was around 5-6 inches. I had to do it high to get all of the hair in. After that I was amazed at 18" thats when you get the length to show better. peace out!

When I chopped my hair off at 13 and later could finally put it all up with the help of a couple clips, I was so happy! That first ponytail feels great. Just a hint... it happens sooner if you flip your head over and gather it all up closer to the crown of your head. ;)
My hair was just brushing my shoulders at the time.

^ Quick thread hi-jack, Kaileida, Your Tele is super sweet! ;) I love Telecasters! :thumbsup:

Pburgh56
September 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM
You all hit on great points with seeing people for the first time with ur new length. Its like itll be sooo diff seeing people i went to high school with and that for the first time and them seeing me with a ponytail when they were used to seeing the buzz cut. what are ur experiences with tihs?

tommiefromva
September 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
:rolleyes:Mine was to my chin and it's apl now. In the beginning I was getting trims every 6 weeks or so. About 10 weeks ago I stopped the trims and now I'm seeing some results. No more trims until I reach my goal of mid-back Tommie :rolleyes:

Mutinous
September 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
You all hit on great points with seeing people for the first time with ur new length. Its like itll be sooo diff seeing people i went to high school with and that for the first time and them seeing me with a ponytail when they were used to seeing the buzz cut. what are ur experiences with tihs?

I had a buzz cut until I was about 15, my hair is about Arm Pit Length now and its always a laugh to see people you haven't seen in a while!

Pburgh56
September 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Def what are some comments u received?

redneckprincess
September 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
my biggest milestone (so far) was finally being able to braid again!!!

lloo
September 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM
pburgh make sure to post pics i bet your ponytails gonna be awesome and there are no pics of your hair. what style do you think will be your favorite? low pony, high, side, ponytail braid?

adiapalic
September 14th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I honestly can't remember my first ponytail, because my hair has been long enough for one since I can remember. However, my boyfriend has recently been able to have his pulled back into one--he doesn't like the way it looks on him though. :( (I love the way it looks.)

yellowchariot
September 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
BTW I forgot to add this:

As your hair begins to get long, you'll most likely be able to do a banded ponytail first. You start it at the very top of your crown, going all of the way down your head (similar to a braided mohawk) by using small sections of your hair, making ponytails along the way.

Pburgh56
September 14th, 2009, 08:15 AM
THanks the banded ponytail sounds awesome :) adiapalec thanks for ur input as well :) thats awesome that ur boyfriend now has a ponytail :) what length do u think ull let his get to?
lloo im def close to posting some pics. thanks for the compliment tho i hope my ponytail looks awesome :) as for ur question im not sure which one will be my favorite. im thinking probably the high and low ponytail :) a side ponytail will be really cute as will a braid so ill try them out too. any other ideas?

lloo
September 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
i always wanted to get lots of little braids and then put it in a high ponytail, thought it would look cool. i have a friend that does like a french braid but stops when he gets to the bottom of his head and puts it in a ponytail looks cool, especially cause the braid goes from the very front of his head. I also know girl that does french braid pigtails but then ties them together in back to make a ponytail thing. i will try that when my hair is long enough

Fractalsofhair
September 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Well, from a pixie, it's about 6 inches for it to be put in two mini ponytails. My hair needs to be about shoulder or longer to be put in a regular pony though, which is a pain. Varies person to person!

Pburgh56
September 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I cant wait to even get to the length to do even two small ponytails :)
lloo thanks for those ideas. those are really cool styles :) Ill have to try them. do u have any pics of them?

Fractalsofhair
September 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I cant wait to even get to the length to do even two small ponytails :)
lloo thanks for those ideas. those are really cool styles :) Ill have to try them. do u have any pics of them?
I'm really bad at taking photos of my hair and currently my camera is missing, but once I find it I'll try to!

Pburgh56
September 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks I cant wait to see. check out my other posts and my profile i have pics too :)

Addy
September 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I remember the ponytail stub a stylist gave to me. I was pretty mad and upset over it. I now have a beautiful ponytail! :)

It took a good 8 months to grow in from stub and layered hair falling out of to a nice ponytail I could keep all my hair pulled back in.

Pburgh56
September 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Awwww Addy im glad u have a nice ponytail now :) do u think my stylist will put my hair in a stub like that when its longer? is that what u did just asked?

Addy
September 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Pburgh,

I didn't ask for it. I went in for a trim on my BSL length hair at the time and came out with hair up to my shoulders and layers up to my ears. You better hope your stylist never does that to you! :mad:

Naters
September 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Getting your hair long enough to actually have it tied back is really a big accomplishment, so you should be excited. I had my hair in a super short pixe cut last summer which was in june, and by january i had a little stub to hold back. Now i have moved on to buns which is really exciting, so keep up the growing!!

Pburgh56
September 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Naters thanks I cant wait to get some growth like u have. whats ur goal length?
Addy I feel sooo bad :( I hope that never happens to me. OMG i cant believe they cut off that much. im sorry :(

Lyndistine
September 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
*sigh* I can't wait until I have enough to pony. Or SOMETHING. Thank goodness this place exists! Plenty of shorties to bear burdens with, and plenty of people at all lengths for inspiration!

KajiKodomo
September 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I can only do a half-up pony currently, my hair is about chin-length, but it's pretty thick.

I considered the half-up pony a great accomplishment in itself, because I can get my hair out of my face/eyes!

Pburgh56
September 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I tot agree the half pony will be a great accomplishment for me and I am extremely happy with the responses I have got. I love this community.