PDA

View Full Version : hair up-do setting of migraine

rach
September 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
i don't know what i've done differently today but i know my up-do has set it off somehow, usually head bands putting pressure nearly my ears do it.
i'm typing this off now before i give up to the world of can't concentrate on anything and go away world!!!!!!!!
i haven't had them for over 6 months and i am seriously peeved off because it's ruined my afternoon and i know it's only going to get worse.
i've taken some pain killer but they hardly every work.
i hate them. i hate them.
i help this is not going to be fun :(

jasper
September 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
So sorry about your head. I get migraines and pain killers never help. I hope you can get some rest today and feel better soon!

dukkelisa
September 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry that you are feeling pain, hope it subsides soon.

The longer my hair gets, the harder it is for me to find comfort in updo-s but I have found several solutions.

One, is a high braid that I wrap around like a crown braid and so it rests nearly on top of my head. I secure it with pins and then use a ficare clip at the bottom of the circle to keep the braid from slipping down. I do this now with my cinna-buns too.

Another one I did at waist length hair was to twist it up and clamp it with a large barrette (clamp the barrette facing to the back) and then wrap the hair around the barrette and pin. These "anchors" help hair from sliding and pulling. Some people use several claw clamps around their updo.

Hope you feel better by the time you read your responses!

Gumball
September 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I know there are some moments where I either get tension headaches or have them caused by a style that isn't distributing weight properly. Could that be a possibility for you, too?

Fractalsofhair
September 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Don't use headbands or put the updo too tightly. Hairsticks and pins might be a good option(if the pins don't press againist your head). Also, if you're sure it's from the hair, cutting your hair to a more manageable length could be a good option.

What about just leaving your hair down in a braid? That would reduce a lot of the damage that comes from leaving it loose...

ravenreed
September 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I am having trouble with high buns these days. Instant headache. I also can't do hard head bands of any sort for the same reason. The low buns seem okay, and high double buns are fine. Sometimes if I am getting a headache, just redoing the bun in slightly different spot seems to help.

longhairedfairy
September 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM
:grouphug: The best thing for me seems to be staying well hydrated and not letting my blood sugar get too low. Tomato/vegetable juice help some people with migraines. Do you have something cold you can put on your head?

rach
September 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
i'm back and rather exhausted , it's something i'd never want on someone. it was a beautiful lovely sunny afternoon, kids behaving well and DH at home and a evening planned ahead which all went to pot . hyper sensitive eye sight and numb ears yet hyper sensitive hearing also and the pain reduces you into a tearful irritable something else.
sorry but i get annoyed when people say "headache" this is way beyond a headache , it incapacitates you into a dark room under a duvet with ear plugs and it's hell.

Don't use headbands or put the updo too tightly. Hairsticks and pins might be a good option(if the pins don't press againist your head). Also, if you're sure it's from the hair, cutting your hair to a more manageable length could be a good option.

What about just leaving your hair down in a braid? That would reduce a lot of the damage that comes from leaving it loose...
actually hair sticks and ficcares have help me an awful lot (very hair distributing) i probably just got a bit too confidant because i haven't had migraines for a while . braids would be a nice option in future but at the moment at my length they are a bit messy with my layers and i'm keeping with none elastics regimen which will take a re-think.

:grouphug: The best thing for me seems to be staying well hydrated and not letting my blood sugar get too low. Tomato/vegetable juice help some people with migraines. Do you have something cold you can put on your head? Tomato/vegetable juice - thats an interesting idea and it keeps well to.

thanks for listening :flowers: