PDA

View Full Version : What is the silliest thing you have done for your hair?

madisonclare
April 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I just haveto tell you all about what I did last night. :smirk:

I'm still pretty new to taking extremely good care of my hair. My husband's beginning to think I've gone off the deep end.:crazyq: What with all the new experiments, products, toys, hair regimine etc. that I've been taking on.

Last night topped it all off. I was getting ready for bed and had just finished oiling my ends. I wanted to put my hair up in a bun. I don't know how most of you do this (for sleeping purposes) but I usually use a soft fabric covered scruncie because it keeps my shorter layered hair contained. plus I don't like to use hair ties because of the damage they do. I only have one (scruncie) and apparently it went missing. So, I'm looking all over the place. it's getting late. I'm tired. I have to get up in the morning. I briefly think maybe just this once I could leave it down but I really don't want to get oil all over my face and pillow. So, out of nowhere I get this bright idea, I pull out one of my husbands white cotton hanes socks from the drawer and tie it around my bun!!:agree:yep no joke. go ahead you can laugh. And, believe it or not it stayed in my hair all night!! I laughed out loud at myself in the mirror then automatically thought of you all here at LHC. (only you would understand.....hopefully)

So my question is what is the silliest/craziest thing you have done for/to your hair?

eadwine
April 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Putting oil in it and walking around with it covered in conditioner and a hanky on my head.

I always hope no-one will come to my door in that hour :lol:

Aside from that, nothing silly really.

Celtica
April 18th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Well, most (non-LHC) people would consider me to be absolutely, unredeemably 100% :disco: for using monistat on my scalp...

n3m3sis42
April 18th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I don't know if this exactly fits the question, but...

On Sunday, I was in the process of henna-ing and realized we hadn't checked our mail the previous day. I went outside without even thinking about what I looked like, only to run into my neighbor, who is around my age and male. He smiled at me and said, "Yeah, it's the weekend, isn't it?"

I wonder if it was the fact that I was still in my pajamas (and no bra, but I had on a huge sweatshirt) at 3 pm, or the giant towel (on top of a plastic bag and shower cap) that I had over my head. ;-)

Shanarana
April 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I just haveto tell you all about what I did last night. :smirk:

I'm still pretty new to taking extremely good care of my hair. My husband's beginning to think I've gone off the deep end.:crazyq: What with all the new experiments, products, toys, hair regimine etc. that I've been taking on.

Last night topped it all off. I was getting ready for bed and had just finished oiling my ends. I wanted to put my hair up in a bun. I don't know how most of you do this (for sleeping purposes) but I usually use a soft fabric covered scruncie because it keeps my shorter layered hair contained. plus I don't like to use hair ties because of the damage they do. I only have one (scruncie) and apparently it went missing. So, I'm looking all over the place. it's getting late. I'm tired. I have to get up in the morning. I briefly think maybe just this once I could leave it down but I really don't want to get oil all over my face and pillow. So, out of nowhere I get this bright idea, I pull out one of my husbands white cotton hanes socks from the drawer and tie it around my bun!!:agree:yep no joke. go ahead you can laugh. And, believe it or not it stayed in my hair all night!! I laughed out loud at myself in the mirror then automatically thought of you all here at LHC. (only you would understand.....hopefully)

So my question is what is the silliest/craziest thing you have done for/to your hair?

Ah, a new version of the sock bun. :cheese:

ladystar
April 18th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I went to the supermarket with egg and olive oil on my hair. You can see white stuff on the top my boyfriend was like baby is that hair gel cause it looks like a big buger is on the top of your head. HAHA

Patrycja
April 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I was thinking that it was a new sock bun too LOL

lora410
April 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Monistat here!!! As a matter of fact I am due to another application :lol:

jojo
April 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I did this http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG0021-1.jpg
Spidermom had advised me to put my hair whilst it was drying in the hood of a top, to encourage the curl, but my hair wasn't even APL at the time, so i invented the 'sock curl' maybe other do this too? it works too!!!

sahiba
April 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I went to the supermarket with egg and olive oil on my hair. You can see white stuff on the top my boyfriend was like baby is that hair gel cause it looks like a big buger is on the top of your head. HAHA

You got to be kidding.

Loviatar
April 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I went to the supermarket with my henna mud on, wrapped in clingfilm. :)

Tapioca
April 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Attempted Italian Taping, where you do a heidi braid, then sew it down with a yarn needle and ribbon. My hair wasn't quite long enough, so it looked horrible. But I did a great job on my friend with thigh-length hair! I should have gotten a picture.

ladystar
April 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
You got to be kidding.

Nope not kidding!!! :silly:

shell78
April 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I have two-

My husband & I went to Lowe's once late at night with my twisty towel on my head, and my thick, hooded coat on to hide it. I live in Texas and it was windy but not that cold, so I probably still looked pretty silly. The sales guy we ran into for help commented, wow it must be really cold out there. LOL

This week I tried my first homemade protein treatment consisting of an egg yolk, mayonnaise, powdered milk, and honey. Fortunately no one saw me, but once I mixed up the bright yellow concoction I thought, am I really going to put this on my hair?

dontcallmejessi
April 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Well people think I'm strange for using food items to condition my hair. . . I think they're strange for thinking it's strange :p

No way would i tell them I put monistate on my head and get all excited and break out the measuring tape! :ohmy: I photograph the back of my head, keep a hair diary, sit in the sunlight and snip my ends one at a time. . . no, they think I'm weird already :D

Oh and everyone looks at me really oddly when i wear my new hair buff :silly: :shrug: noone understands me but you guys :wigtongue: :bottomsup:

Sarahmoon
April 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Some people find it weird I would never go out with my hair down when it's wet and the sun is shining, and I don't blowdry it but let it have at least 3 hours to dry :p

The weirdest thing I did was probably put egg, olive oil, vinegar etc. in my hair.

madisonclare
April 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
:lol: Oh my goodness I love these! They're all hilarious! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Shypii90
April 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I went to the supermarket with my henna mud on, wrapped in clingfilm. :)

lol! that's a good one!!!

Pat
April 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
LOL! And I thought I was crazy for putting all these weird concoctions on my hair or going to bed with a dozen plastic bags to prevent the conditioner from ruining the pillow case ... I even dared to wear a knitted cap to "heat up" the conditioner in the middle of the summer once!

meichigo
April 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I haven't done anything that sillllly with my hair... Tried honey, used semi-permanent dye a million times. It's probably sillier that I refused to go to the window to talk to my very-pretty neighbor one time because I had dye and tin foil in my hair. He told me not to be so self-conscious but that didn't stop me!
as for STUPID things I've done... When I started growing my hair out after a one or two year period of not having short hair, eventually I started getting split ends and I didn't care at all. Instead of going and getting a little trim, I laughed it off. I even remember pulling the two halves of one apart to split it up as high as possible, just because. (I may have pulled it out afterward, though.) I almost feel like I should hack off my hair to my shoulder just so I can start fresh and pre-empt split ends this time, but I don't think it's worth it.
Also, I let my kitten play with my hair. She loves it so, though I'm sure it's horrible for it, but hair grows, and unfortunately that applies to kittens as well. I'll enjoy both while they last.

misspriss
April 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I guess I haven't done anything that weird at all. Just mix up concoctions and put on my hair, but I don't consider that weird. I think I'm weirder for bleaching my hair myself. That looked horrible...but it was a phase I think I had to go through :-P.

I cooked egg in my hair once. I think that is an easy mistake to make...egg for protein, forget and rinse with warm water...pull scrambled eggs out of your hair for a while :)

intothemist1999
April 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Message deleted, I misread :)

AlleyKitten
April 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I've tied my hair back with a sock when it was damp and I didn't want it to dry with an elastic in it and get that little "crimp". I just took a sock, put the middle under my hair, and tied it in a knot like it were a ribbon! I think it looks fine, but some people have disagreed with me ;).

artgeek
April 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Oh man, when I was a teenager... sleeping with manic panic in my hair. It was a pain, but the colour came out beeyouteeful.

Juliette
April 28th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I tried sleeping with a stocking on my head once too keep my hair contained and stop it form moving around as I slept. My hubby thought I had been smoking some funny stuff saying 'aren't those things supposed to go on the other end of your body' ... lol

intothemist1999
April 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
OOOPS! My misread!

I thought I read "WITH your hair", not "FOR your hair"!!

Just ignore me :D

epiphanee
April 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Without doubt..pineapple juice. Where's Justy?

Starr
April 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Without doubt..pineapple juice. Where's Justy?

So what's the story behind that one?:cheese:

young&reckless
April 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I didn't do this to my hair but for it.

To get cassia timing right ,so as not to color my few grey hairs, I time tested the stuff on my dogs white fur. Oh she was not happy about that, she avoided my for like 3 days.

But I got the info I needed and cassiaed my head without losing my few greys.

nappywomyn
April 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I've tied a scarf around the headrest of my car, to protect my hair when I'm driving. :lol:

I'll go almost anywhere (other than work) with goop in my hair.

Sofoulee
April 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Haha, I :heartbeat all of these stories!

I remember being alone in my house and using a hair treatment on my head called henna 'n' placenta. Well, while I was in the bathroom, my brother came over with all of his friends... I walk out and there they are, and there I am with a shower cap on, no makeup, pj's, no bra...

Oh, the things we do for our hair...

nienna42
April 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I've gone to the mall with SMT on my hair. I had it covered in plastic wrap and a hat. If I'd had to take that hat off for any reason...wow, that would've been embarrassing.

I once did a treatment with tomato sauce, conditioner, and I think a couple of other ingredients to try to pull some henna color out of my hair. The concoction itself was strange enough, and then I sat with it on my head for an hour wiping at the tomato-y drips that were running down my neck. (It was so worth it, though. The treatment worked.)

cjjester
July 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Oh my girls think I am nuts using the monistate on my head! Not something I think I will be sharing with others... LOL!

jahof45
July 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I pushed a wire clothes hanger through my two pigtail braids so I could make the braids stick out like the book character; Pippie Longstocking. It was my fav Halloween costume for many years and I wore it to work.

RancheroTheBee
July 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Went to the drug store with henna on my head. Then it melted and dribbled down my neck. Thank God for public bathrooms!
I used so much coconut oil while rehabbing my hair that my brother bought me shampoo "especially for greasy hair". :doh:
I have six different conditioners ATM. This is the least amount ever. :rolleyes:

enfys
July 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Smeared green mud on my head and sat with an aching neck for a few hours, reading blogs on here to remind me why I'm doing it.

Cassia is so worth it though...

LaFlor
July 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Sometimes I go to the store when doing a pre-poo treatment. With my hair so full of oils and honey. So greasy! Once I went to work like that... I put it up into a bun to make it look kind of decent, but it was still greasy. No one said anything.

JamieLeigh
July 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM
This is the silliest thing I've ever done to my hair. It's all rach's fault!!!! ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2615&pictureid=36039

marikamt
July 31st, 2009, 10:00 AM
New here... been lurking for a long, long time... lol. Have learned how to do the new "sock bun thingy" and LOVE the resulting waves (helps break my hot roller addiction).

So I started sleeping in the "new sock bun" so that I would have waves in the morning. The first day, I made 3 different size donuts.... was practicing and not sure how/ what/ etc. By the time my DH came home from work, they were all piled up in the bathroom. Also- I "topped" them w/ an old nylon so they would be more gentle on my hair so they were these strange tan/ brown looking things. DH comes out of the bathroom and says "dare I ask what those brown things are on the sink?" so I explain.....

then bedtime comes and I put my hair in the sock bun. Still growing out a few layers, so they kept slipping loose- I had the "brilliant" idea to slip another knee high (stocking) OVER the bun like a snood to keep it all in pace while I slept (plus, less oil on the pillowcase). I thought DH was going to fall out of his chair laughing at me.....

AlleyKitten
August 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Probably putting egg yolks, conditioner, and coconut oil and then putting my hair inside a ziploc bag. Then after that -- taking a cold shower to wash it out without cooking the egg!

Bunnyhare
August 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
OOOPS! My misread!

I thought I read "WITH your hair", not "FOR your hair"!!

Just ignore me :D
i would like to hear with your hair silly stories too!

Bunnyhare
August 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
New here... been lurking for a long, long time... lol. Have learned how to do the new "sock bun thingy" and LOVE the resulting waves (helps break my hot roller addiction).

So I started sleeping in the "new sock bun" so that I would have waves in the morning. The first day, I made 3 different size donuts.... was practicing and not sure how/ what/ etc. By the time my DH came home from work, they were all piled up in the bathroom. Also- I "topped" them w/ an old nylon so they would be more gentle on my hair so they were these strange tan/ brown looking things. DH comes out of the bathroom and says "dare I ask what those brown things are on the sink?" so I explain.....

then bedtime comes and I put my hair in the sock bun. Still growing out a few layers, so they kept slipping loose- I had the "brilliant" idea to slip another knee high (stocking) OVER the bun like a snood to keep it all in pace while I slept (plus, less oil on the pillowcase). I thought DH was going to fall out of his chair laughing at me.....
I have a great visual of this...and DH laughing at it because mine laughs when i put it in rag wraps,..guess were not feeling too lovey tonight, eh?:rolleyes::eyebrows: