PDA

View Full Version : Ready to throw in the towel

AspenF150
September 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Some of you may know I'm 9 months into growing my hair out. I've started out from a buzz cut more or less. No trims, no nothing. I've taken good care of my hair, tried too anyway. No perms, dyes, straightening etc...

Some guys I know by 9 months would have close to shoulder length hair. Granted my hair is thick and wavy it only seems like it's been growing for 6 months based on how long it is right now, just barely touching the back of my neck.

Seriously am I doing something wrong or am I close to terminal length? I'm about this .. close to just going back to haircuts -Mike-

Quixii
September 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Some hair just doesn't grow that fast.
I would really, really doubt that you'd be getting to terminal just at the base of your neck. :) Just keep growing! It'll get there. No one's hair grows over night.

Addy
September 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Please step away from the clippers and sharp cutting instruments.

Is your hair curly or just wavy? How much wave? Maybe it's shrinkage that is making your hair not seem long. Lots of people have that problem and some perhaps don't account for all the shrinkage...

Usual growth is about a 1/2" a month, give or take. You haven't even put in a full year yet! Please, sit back, relax and don't make any rash decisions. Drink plenty of fluids, exercise, eat healthy and you hair will grow. It takes time to grow long beautiful hair. To me, it sounds like you're about right on track though.

myotislucifugus
September 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
My hair grows a little less than 1/2 a month. Especially with wave, you're hair is going to take a long time to get long. My boyfriend took 3 years to get to stubby ponytail length, so don't worry about it.

Aeasa
September 11th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I think that's pretty normal if you're starting from a buzz. I read somewhere that the hairs that touch your shoulders from the top of your head should be somewhere around 2 years old, so 9 months in, you seem to be doing fine.

marikamt
September 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
definitely time for a :scissors: intervention.... stages are crappy. No way around it. It seems like it will never grow, but it does... hang in there!! Especially w/ thick wavy hair... think how cool it will look long!!!!!

yellowchariot
September 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
thick and wavy it only seems like it's been growing for 6 months based on how long it is right now, just barely touching the back of my neck.

That's actually great if your hair is thick and wavy, it may actually pay off in the long run, as opposed to having fine/thin hair, such as myself :rant:lol. I grow about .75"/month. IMO I think you should hang in there another 4-6 months and see how it's progressing.

I think that's pretty normal if you're starting from a buzz. I read somewhere that the hairs that touch your shoulders from the top of your head should be somewhere around 2 years old, so 9 months in, you seem to be doing fine.

BTW Aeasa, I love your avatar of Celes Chere of Final Fantasy VI (FF3 in the US) ;)

angelthadiva
September 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I just have to add that I quit dying my hair about 9 months ago...242 days ago, to be exact and my outgrowth is much less than your overall growth...And my hair grows fast!! I'm talking 5 o'clock shadow on my legs by noon and I shaved at 7:30AM fast.

Don't be discouraged--What is your normal routine? I'm too lazy to look it up, but you may want to look at that...Also, I've noticed that my hair grows in cycles--For a few months it will grow like a weed and then it will stall. I would doubt you've reached terminal. :flower:

Finoriel
September 12th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Your only fault is to be impatient :wink: grass does not grow while watching it.
I think for only 9 months of growth that is not bad at all. Just because some folks have super growth skills, it does not mean there is something wrong with your hair, if it does not grow as fast.
Terminal usually happens much later.

LutraLutra
September 12th, 2009, 02:49 AM
To be honest, I'd say you're doing just fine. I have pretty good growth of around 3/4 inch per month and I'm growing out from a 1 inch pixie, but it still took about 18 months for the hairs on the very, very top of my head to reach my neck. Growing out super short hair is tough challenge, but just think how great your "thick, wavy" will look when it's long. :)

oogie
September 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Ever heard the old saying "quality over quantity" ? Think now in the terms of you've got that much QUALITY hair. It is probably better to have X amount of healthy hair than a whole bunch of long damaged hair. Savvy?

Hang in there, fine works of art take time to make. :)

bte
September 12th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Don't throw in the towel. If nothing else, you'll need the hair during the winter, which is not far away!

dukkelisa
September 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I helped me during the growing out stage was to say to myself that I was NEVER EVER GOING TO CUT MY HAIR AGAIN. So, no matter what my hair decided to do, I didn't have to worry about it, because cutting wasn't an option. It's backwards kind of thinking, but it helps. Time is going to pass whether you cut it or not. Why not see what happens in that time? You might even set a goal of 3 years and see how long it grows in that amount of time. Best of luck.

elaineflowers
September 12th, 2009, 12:27 PM
hang in there Mike, I fully sympathise with your feelings. My hair just doesn't get any longer, after spending years growing it. But... you never know, keep going and you might feel better about its length after christmas.
Good luck honey.... I wish you all the best.