PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping

motormuffin
September 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
What do you ladies do with your hair when you go to bed?
I was putting it up in a pony for awhile. I used to let it hang off the end of the bed before I cut it. Now its just in the way.

linda g
September 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
ooh, I'm glad you asked this question. *watching*

wizboo
September 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
yeah, this interests me too. I've heard of braiding and wrapping with a silk scarf but I dunno...

KaasKnot
September 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah I just braid it. Sometimes when I feel lazy I just let it hang loose. Nothing special.

Islandgrrl
September 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
In the summer, usually a braid. Occasionally I leave it loose when I sleep, but it's more difficult as it gets longer because DH rolls over on it and it gets stuck under him. :bigeyes:

In winter, it's either bunned or braided and under a buff that I pull on like a bandana. Keeps my little head warm!

Aquamarine
September 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I usually braid it..... occasionally when I'm lazy:confused:, I just let it loose but that makes me wake up with knots and tangles.:rolleyes: I can't sleep in a bun it gives me a headache

Gumball
September 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Not a lady but I'll throw my answer in here anyway! I sure seem to have a routine, since my answer to these questions never wavers. Haha. I braid my hair and secure it with a satin scrunchie to limit friction from the tie. It's also not tied really tight. I've never had it get in the way, and it hasn't bothered me regardless of which position I've slept in. Mostly I sleep on my side, but even the times when I sleep on my back it just takes a little adjustment so it's not poking the back of my head. :)

wolf girl
September 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I do a 'scruchie bun' on the very top of my head. (Kinda makes me look like Pebbles Flintstone though). The added bonus is it gives my stick straight hair waves in the morning. :cheese:

JamieLeigh
September 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I sleep with mine loose, most nights. I try to throw it up over the top of my pillow, but I toss a lot and usually end up on it by morning. It's ok for me though, because I don't usually get tangles believe it or not. :p

On nights that I sleep with coconut oil on my hair, I do a high braided bun.

motormuffin
September 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM
When you braid it...is it a high braid or a low braid? I tried braiding but I always wake up laying on a lump.

freckles
September 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I wear it in two braids.

Gumball
September 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
When you braid it...is it a high braid or a low braid? I tried braiding but I always wake up laying on a lump.

For me it's a low braid. Maybe I've just become accustomed to sleeping with that style. Sometimes I'll wake up on a lump, too, or sometimes it will be on my face if I tossed and turned too much, but going to sleep and staying asleep hasn't been hindered by it. :)

Gingevere
September 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I usually wear it loose in a silk sleep cap. It really helps hair retain its natural oils, instead of the cotton pillowcase soaking them up. For me, it eliminates bedhead as well. When I do a heavy overnight oiling before washing my hair in the morning, I do two braids and no sleep cap. I just don't want to have to wash the cap that often.

friskybiznus
September 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Usually I put mine in a low ponytail -- sometimes a braid.

janiejones
September 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I wear it in two braids, then I don't have that braid lump on the back of my head and it seems to contain my hair better. If I only use one braid, I always end up with about 50% of the hair in a poufy cloud above my head when I wake up thanks to very vigorous sleeping!

Islandgrrl
September 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I just do an English braid, Dianyla style. Here's the article from the archives. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652)

The braid just seems to stay out of the way and not have a big lump at the back of my head and it's super comfy.

Arkady
September 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I just put mine into two braids. The few times I don't bother, I end up spending ages carefully combing out tangles; a few minutes' braiding saves all the trouble in the morning! And gives me lovely braid-waves when I let it loose. :)

lovebug
September 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I put it on a high ponytail on the top of my head, or a scrunchie bun. For some reason my hair cannot hold braids when sleeping.

Quixii
September 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Either in a ponytail, or I put all my hair in a pillow case and tie the pillowcase onto my head with a head band. :)

Eskarine
September 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I wear mine in a single braid, too. The knobby hair tie always tries to end up directly under my shoulder or some other uncomfortable spot, so I make a point of flipping the braid end up over my head to the top of the pillow.

pepperminttea
September 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Single low braid for me. I did try a cap for a while, but I move too much when I sleep - it'd always come off by the time I woke up.

Suisan
September 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Two braids for me. My grandmother used to call two braids at the nape of the neck "Sleeping Braids," so I just assumed that's what one did with long hair.

kdaniels8811
September 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I put mine in a bun with some super short (4") Mei Fa hairsticks. This keeps my hair from getting rolled on (ouch!) and makes for nice morning waves. An orchid bun holds like a rock. Or a figure 8 with the sticks vertically on each end.

viking_quest
September 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Another count for a low braid. I sometimes sleep with it unbraided but then I can't toss and turn like I like to do.

twolunarspring
September 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Occasionally I leave it loose when I sleep, but it's more difficult as it gets longer because DH rolls over on it and it gets stuck under him. :bigeyes:

Hahaha - I have this same problem! :p I pretty much always braid or French braid it, but occasionally leave it loose - particularly if it's still damp - because it looks nicer in the morning all wild and ringletty at the ends.

Chloris
September 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM
A single braid... mainly because it helps to maintain a nice wave structure in my hair until my next wash (which are normally a week apart). Otherwise, my waves get kind of weird because they flatten out a little bit in certain areas and not others.

consarnit
September 12th, 2009, 07:21 AM
One or two low braids, I tried leaving it loose for a while and although it didn't tangle it always seemed to end up in my mouth/face/trying to kill me. So I have since returned to braids.

Tanuki
September 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I have the worst habit. I wear it loose (can't do much with 4" hair though) and wet right on my pillow. I actually have a problem sleeping with dry hair. I get super hot when I sleep so the soaked pillow cools my nuclear head, though the messes I used to get were spectacular.

FrozenPrincess
September 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
When i can be bothered my hair is put into a braid, otherwise i hang it over the end of the bed or just leave it loose. But the longer it gets, the harder it is to leave loose.

linda g
September 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Last night I braided it for the first time(2 low braids toward the back), and I'm happy with the result. I don't have a problem with a lot of tangling, but it does tend to get in my face, or get pulled on when I roll over. The braids helped with that a lot, and didn't bother me.

Although, at one point when I rolled over, I felt the braid, and being half-asleep, I had forgotten I'd put them in, and had a sudden brief irrational fear that I had a HUGE tangle in my hair. :D

jasper
September 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I started doing a sleep braid a few weeks ago, and now I'm not sure how I was ever sleeping without it. I mean, I used to throw my hair over the top of the pillow, but now if I drop in bed without braiding, I immediately feel like something is wrong and have to get up and braid it.

motormuffin
September 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I put it in two braids last night. It felt odd. The little bands I used slid right off the ends so it was pretty messy when I got up. I tried some new ones...they are just skinny and clear. I thought they would be less bulky on the ends.

heatherdazy
September 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I braid it so I can wake up to waves . :)

Sissy
September 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I sleep with mine loose and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. On occasion I wear it under a shower cap with my hair soaked in oil or overnight treatment :p

halo_tightens
September 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I've been going through an experimental stage with this, myself... Sometimes I leave it loose inside a sleep cap, which works okay, but I'm not totally satisfied with that and I know it'll only get worse as it gets longer. Last night I tried two Dutch braids under my cap, but I absolutely stink at doing them and my cap wouldn't stay on with the braids, so I ended up with a lot of tangles in the morning.

Things will be easier once it gets long, I think, because I'll be able to simply braid it. (At this length, so much hair falls out of the braid overnight that it makes a tangly mess.) If I manage to come up with a perfect solution for very thick above-APL hair, I'll be sure to share it with everyone! For now, I'm still going to have to experiment.

Finoriel
September 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Single braid worked best for me during the last years. Though it seems like I may need to come up with something else in the future. My braid obviously got too long and getīs stuck under o/h too often ... which is annoying.

freznow
September 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Either a braid or a flat bun held with small U shape hair pins. Both quite comfortable, though some placements are better than others (I like them at the nape, if they're too high I don't like it.)

mellie89
September 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Low braid for me, too. Much better than the messy bun of doom that I used to keep it in. It also makes nice waves that make my weirdo layers actually look nice.

Esperanza
September 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I dampen it and make a low bun, secured with a soft scruncie, so that I will have nice bun waves the next morning. Then, I put on a satin sleep cap, because the headgear of the CPAP machine, that I must use at night for my sleep apnea, breaks off my hair if I don't. My only complaint is that the cap is hot in the summer:mad, and I am wishing I had an old fashioned sleep hair net like my mother used to wear.

:puppy:

Angharad
September 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I always mist my hair, then oil it with argan/coconut oil or something and then braid it.

Speckla
September 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I sleep with my hair tucked into a satin bonnet.

slz
September 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Low braid here, too. I braid at night right before going to bed and the braid will last a full day - saves me some time in the morning :D .

handsclean
September 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I do two dutch braids :)

halo_tightens
September 12th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Then, I put on a satin sleep cap, because the headgear of the CPAP machine, that I must use at night for my sleep apnea, breaks off my hair if I don't.

Yikes! My DH sleeps with a CPAP, and I'd never even thought of the potential interactions with long hair until you mentioned it. His is short now, and I've been bugging him to grow it out-- but I bet he'd soon get tired of getting it caught in his straps and cut it again rather than agreeing to wear a cap to bed. I'll be more sympathetic to his short hair in the future... I know I wouldn't like to deal with that mask with long hair and no cap!

Kibeth
September 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I was just thinking the other day that I have been putting my hair into a single braid at the nape of my neck every day for 6 years. I'm a tad ashamed to admit that I don't even brush my teeth with that kind of regularity.

QueenAnne'sLace
September 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
DBF does the same thing....He sighs and complains that it seems like no matter what he does, he's always pulling or rolling on my hair somehow...so into a braid it goes. Then when it gets stuck, I just give it a tug and it all comes out without so much pain!

Gabriel
September 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
I finally remembered to find a sleep cap/bonnet. I've tried braiding over the years or silk scarf wrapping but I toss and turn a lot. When I would wake up my hair would be all fuzzy and the scarf would be practically off.

I got a Stay On "Satin Edge Bonnet" from Sally's and it actually stayed on all night! No fuzzy hair this morning.

It looks like a shower cap. I just made a bun and without putting any pins (to keep my hair all together while putting on the cap) in and tucked it into the bonnet.

Sister13
September 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I do a loose bun on top of my head. It lets me roll freely and keeps it out of honeybunch's face & mouth.