PDA

View Full Version : good hair but itchy...help :(

Heavenly Locks
September 11th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I noticed that my scalp must be sensitive. If I use soap or shampoo it gets crazy flaky and itchy. So I use CO only...but recently I've been getting itchy head (at the nape mostly with some at the hairline in front) after 2-3 days. My hair looks great but man am I tempted to scratch like crazy. Any suggestions?

I get some pretty big flakes if I 'pick' at the hairline...and if I get to picking I end up with scabs. pretty. :rolleyes: :o

melikai
September 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM
My BF gets this and I was starting too as well until I switched shampoos to a more natural and gentle one. It's even better since I stopped using sulphates. However, since you are CO I'm not sure. Do you use cones? Is your conditioner natural or chemical-ly? Chemical sensitivity would be my first guess.

Edit: also, have you tried ACV rinses? They are supposed to help a lot.

GlassEyes
September 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
When was the last time you clarified? It might be an issue with that. You don't ahve to use shampoo though--you can mix baking soda with conditioner and get the saem effect. I haven't done it (though I felt like an idiot when I read about it) but ladylibra does. I can ask her about her dilution, if you like? I'm prety sure she uses suave to do it too, which you use, right?

Also, if that doesn't help, something like ACV or tea tree oil may help. Or even a conditioner with the latter in it, like Givoanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat, which I used for CO for a good long time.

karli
September 11th, 2009, 08:01 AM
When I use a conditioner that is too cleansing or has too much perfume, my scalp can get flaky. If I do an eggwash( A hole egg mixed with a few drops tto and a dash of acv) my scalp calms down again.

spidermom
September 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I was reading about olive oil a little while ago, and it is recommended for flakey, itchy scalps. Just warm a little (I sit a cup with a little oil in the bottom into a sink of hot water), then apply to top of head, and stroke in the direction your hair lies to saturate the scalp. Comb through also. Cover with a shower cap and leave for an hour. Shampoo out. Hopefully the shampoo won't irritate your scalp all over again, maybe dilute it?; the article didn't mention that possibility.

maxzeen
September 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
try using a more gentle conditioner

metalgypsy85
September 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
This has been happening to me, but my hair is pretty oily in the summer. I blame it on the heat, cause that's how my skin feels all over, not just my scalp.

saskia_madding
September 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Okay, this is interesting. I used to get itchy scalp if I didn't wash every other day, but I usually did so it was never a problem.

After I recently switched to a more natural shampoo, but my scalp got progressively itchier. I didn't notice at first, but it got worse - I itched, got scabs, the works.

But worst? My hair fell out in DROVES. I went from 3 5/8" circumference to 3" circumference in just under a month. It finally occurred to me that perhaps the stuff on my scalp was plugging my hair follicles and munching on my hair and making it fall out.

I switched back to the gross sulfate shampoo and my shedding has returned to a normal 100 hairs a day sort of thing.

I have tried ACV rinses at a variety of concentrations, but they don't really help my scalp at all. When I up the concentration, all it does is dry out my hair, and I'm still itchy two minutes after the shower.

I'm on the hunt for a better, less toxic shampoo. But all I'm saying is be careful. That itchiness can lead to bad, bad things.

My friend suggested this, which has worked well for her: http://prairienaturals.ca/?product_id=106. I'm going to go pick some up today and if you're interested, I'll keep you posted. It might work for you too.

Rohele
September 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I'm just coming off an experience like simone_rodrigue just had.

I started COing in November last year, and my hair looked great, but I had a really itchy scalp with gunk - I've never had scalp issues before. Clarifying with a sulfate based shampoo made it go away. Around the same time shedding picked up, not out of the normal range, but up near the high end of what would be considered average (around 60-70 hairs a day).

Recently I ran out of my CO conditioner for a while and just used the shampoo that was in the shower at the time (the shampoo that I was using to clarify with). Within a week the shedding had dropped significantly and the itchiness was completely gone (I wash every second day). Needless to say I'm back on shampoo and now using the CWC method.

Anyway, based on my experience, I would agree with the advice to clarify or throw in the occasional gentle shampoo. FWIW if I shampooed every third wash or so, it kept the itchiness and gunkiness at bay.

rhubarbarin
September 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I had a similar experience to the two posters above. I never had any scalp problems whatsoever growing up using sulfates (I never washed my hair a lot, usually once or twice a week). Then I stopped using SLS shampoo because of concerns over how harsh and drying it was, and over the next few years struggled with build-up, severe itching sometimes leading to scabs, zits, and flaking. I tried various conditioners for COing, baking soda, ACV rinses, shampoo bars, and non SLS shampoos. Because I had all these problems I was afraid to use SLS again because my scalp seemed so irritated.

Then I clarified with SLS, and sweet relief. I haven't looked back. I need a happy scalp. It doesn't seem to dry my hair at all. And, I didn't notice an immediate difference, but my shedding is definitely less in the last 8 months or so since I started with regular SLS washes...

I don't know if the OP had the same problems she has now with SLS shampoo. If so my experiences might not be valuable..

MandaMom2Three
September 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
My scalp hates hates HATES shampoo, but even without it I get the insanely itchy scalp (mostly in the exact places you mentioned too!) just not QUITE as bad. If I CO EVERY day (or every other day at MOST it's bearable, only henna has cured it entirely, but of course it comes back as the henna grows out :shrug: LOL I've tried a couple times to stop with the henna, but the itchies always drive me back to it!

motormuffin
September 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I still use all the natural SLS free shampoos normally but use Neutrogena TSAL about once a week. When I had really bad itching I would use it every other day. Now I just use it for maintenance.

loyaboya
September 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Have you tried keeping the conditioner off your scalp when you CO? Also, does your hair stay damp for very long? I've noticed that I need to make sure to let my scalp dry, even if my hair is damp, or else it will itch.

saskia_madding
September 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
loyaboya - how do you go about letting your scalp dry specifically? Do you need to let your hair loose to dry to give the scalp room to air breathe?

MandaMom2Three - why does henna help itchies?

teela1978
September 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I had a similar experience to the two posters above. I never had any scalp problems whatsoever growing up using sulfates (I never washed my hair a lot, usually once or twice a week). Then I stopped using SLS shampoo because of concerns over how harsh and drying it was, and over the next few years struggled with build-up, severe itching sometimes leading to scabs, zits, and flaking. I tried various conditioners for COing, baking soda, ACV rinses, shampoo bars, and non SLS shampoos. Because I had all these problems I was afraid to use SLS again because my scalp seemed so irritated.

Then I clarified with SLS, and sweet relief. I haven't looked back. I need a happy scalp. It doesn't seem to dry my hair at all. And, I didn't notice an immediate difference, but my shedding is definitely less in the last 8 months or so since I started with regular SLS washes...

I don't know if the OP had the same problems she has now with SLS shampoo. If so my experiences might not be valuable..

The only time I get any kind of bump/irritation on my scalp is if I use a sulfate-free method of cleaning for an extended period of time. I personally believe that cosmetic scientists know what they're doing when they're formulating products, and unless you have are very sensitive to an ingredient (kinda rare), they'll probably work pretty well for you.

MandaMom2Three
September 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
MandaMom2Three - why does henna help itchies?

I don't know why, but it does! The brochure I read before I did it (from mehandi.com) mentioned it as well! For the first 2 months or so after a hennaing my scalp is totally itchy free, by the time it drives me nuts again it's ready for a root touch up anyway!

rhubarbarin
September 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The only time I get any kind of bump/irritation on my scalp is if I use a sulfate-free method of cleaning for an extended period of time. I personally believe that cosmetic scientists know what they're doing when they're formulating products, and unless you have are very sensitive to an ingredient (kinda rare), they'll probably work pretty well for you.

I've come to the same conclusion. I do best using SLS on my body, at least periodically, as well.

loyaboya
September 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
loyaboya - how do you go about letting your scalp dry specifically? Do you need to let your hair loose to dry to give the scalp room to air breathe?

These days I gently separate it down the middle with my fingers and loosely gather it into two pigtails. I kinda just fold each length in half and secure with a covered elastic. I'll leave it like that for a little while just to let the roots in the middle dry a little. Then once I decide I'm ready to finish styling my hair, I take them down and continue with whatever I was gonna do. Your roots will be dry but the length will still be pretty wet. It seems to make a big difference for me.

Heidi_234
September 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I don't know why, but it does! The brochure I read before I did it (from mehandi.com) mentioned it as well! For the first 2 months or so after a hennaing my scalp is totally itchy free, by the time it drives me nuts again it's ready for a root touch up anyway!
:agree: I can't tell you the exact science behind this, but I read and heard too that henna is not just good for the hair, but also has great effect on the scalp. I was recommended to do root touch ups weekly when I was suffering from ongoing hairloss. Henna is antibacterial (or of the sort) and has different healing properties.

myotislucifugus
September 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Quite recently, the back of my head was super itchy, and it took forever to figure out a way to fix it. Finally, I did a baking soda rinse, srubbing my scalp with the powder... and the itch disappeared. I thought it was going to be too harsh, but it worked. If acids don't work, like vinegar, go with a base like baking soda.

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I noticed that my scalp must be sensitive. If I use soap or shampoo it gets crazy flaky and itchy. So I use CO only...but recently I've been getting itchy head (at the nape mostly with some at the hairline in front) after 2-3 days. My hair looks great but man am I tempted to scratch like crazy. Any suggestions?

I get some pretty big flakes if I 'pick' at the hairline...and if I get to picking I end up with scabs. pretty. :rolleyes: :o

I have sensitive skin, and have even more problems with a conditioner on my scalp than a gentle shampoo. Maybe one of the ingredients in your current condish just disagrees with you? You could try a different condish and see if you get any improvement...

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Okay, this is interesting. I used to get itchy scalp if I didn't wash every other day, but I usually did so it was never a problem.

After I recently switched to a more natural shampoo, but my scalp got progressively itchier. I didn't notice at first, but it got worse - I itched, got scabs, the works.

But worst? My hair fell out in DROVES. I went from 3 5/8" circumference to 3" circumference in just under a month. It finally occurred to me that perhaps the stuff on my scalp was plugging my hair follicles and munching on my hair and making it fall out.

I switched back to the gross sulfate shampoo and my shedding has returned to a normal 100 hairs a day sort of thing.

I have tried ACV rinses at a variety of concentrations, but they don't really help my scalp at all. When I up the concentration, all it does is dry out my hair, and I'm still itchy two minutes after the shower.

I'm on the hunt for a better, less toxic shampoo. But all I'm saying is be careful. That itchiness can lead to bad, bad things.

My friend suggested this, which has worked well for her: http://prairienaturals.ca/?product_id=106. I'm going to go pick some up today and if you're interested, I'll keep you posted. It might work for you too.

"Natural" shampoos are a little "dangerous" -- they can be VERY much nothing more than a way of justifying a very high price for a pretty standard product. Also, many "natural" ingredients (in my case, the EOs and the FOs in particular) can turn out to be worse for you ("you" being specific; it's not true for all people) than the conventional alternatives they are replacing.

Mahars
September 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have dealt with scalp issues for years, and I've come to realize that you just have to keep trying different products until you find something that works for you. As a general rule, stay away from conditioners and shampoos with EOs or artificial fragrances. Try a shampoo for sensitive scalps or a conditioner that is super mild. I've had good luck with Klorane Peony shampoo for sensitive scalps, trader joes citrus conditioner, whole foods fragrance free conditioner, and Dr. Hauschka sulfate free apricot shampoo for dry hair. The Dr. Haushka shampoo has neem fairly high up on the ingredients list, which really helps with itchiness. Dr. Hauschka also makes a neem hair lotion that helps a lot, and is specifically made for scalp issues. You might also have luck with tea tree oil. Pour a few drops in a spray bottle and spray it directly onto your scalp at least once per day. Hope this helps.

saskia_madding
September 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I did a bunch of checking on a variety of websites, and there is nothing awful in general in my shampoo, but I tried switching to another natural one just to test how *I* react to it. Not much of a change. I think I just really need at least some sulfates in my shampoo to help my scalp.

And my shampoo is 10 bucks. For someone used to shopping at Aveda, that is DIRT CHEAP. :)

saskia_madding
September 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Grapefruit seed extract - I hear adding this to your shampoo helps a lot. Has anyone tried it?

rchorr
September 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I, too, had an itchy scalp ... constantly. What helped me was spritzing my hair with a combo of 1/2 water and 1/2 aloe gel. After I wash, condition and blot dry my hair, I "part" my hair so the scalp shows and spray the gel. Part and spray. All over my head.

My VERY dry skin LOVES aloe gel, and my scalp stopped itching, for the most part.

RCHORR'

Rosalind
September 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'm so glad this thread got started. I've been having similar problems with my hair, gradually building up over the summer, during which I've been using mostly baby shampoo and natural shampoo bars. My hair's never been better, but my scalp gradually got really itchy and flaky. I was getting worried, because I'd been using gentler stuff and it wasn't getting any better.

But after seeing this thread I went out and bought some Head & Shoulders, and a few washes with that have my scalp back on its way to normal. My hair doesn't feel quite as nice, but once my scalp's balanced again I tihnk I can at least alternate. Or do lots of SMTs. :-)

So yes, another vote for trying a "normal" shampoo periodically, if you have scalp issues.