Lamb
September 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I feel very stupid for asking this. :oops:
After I wash my hair, I do the following (with a wide tooth comb):
1. comb it all back (not "backcombing"!), detangle carefully
2. part it and comb the two sides "down"
3. apply leave-in and let dry

Does this sound like too much combing?
(For the record, I am trying to grow out shortish curly hair which is almost impossible to comb when dry, so I only comb when it's wet.)

AnneAdeline
September 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I usually comb my hair three or four times as it dries. :shrug: I don't think it is too much combing as long as you make sure to be gentle.
Have you though about combing it in the shower while you have conditioner in your hair? I know there's lots of curlies that like to do that.

RavennaNight
September 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
That is about as much combing I do when I first get our of the shower. Like, exactly. Comb back, part, comb down. Then I comb occasionally as it dries. That's not too much combing, but you're a curly and I'm a stravey. :shrug: :)

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Sounds okay to me.:shrug:

adiapalic
September 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds like the right thing to do with curly hair :) At least, I think that's what Curly Girl Handbook suggests too. I comb my hair when it's wet sometimes too.

Quixii
September 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I comb in the shower with conditioner in my hair, comb before applying leave in, and generally do a comb through after I've put leave in in. Since it's a wide toothed comb and I'm being gentle, plus the second two times are more for distributing than detangling, I don't think it's an issue.

heatherdazy
September 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds fine to me. Few people can avoid it completely when it's wet without getting a huge mess on their hands later.

PseudoScot
September 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
No such thing as a stupid question!

I don't think it's too much combing either if you're being gentle. I shower comb w/condish and then comb it once I'm out and am getting to bun it. I bun about 99% of the time so after that I'm done for the day. But what you are doing sounds normal/fine!

CaityBear
September 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Sounds about what I do. And as it dries I have to keep combing it every now and then or it will dry frizzy and it will tangle with itself...

Plus, I know a lot of curlies who ALWAYS comb their hair wet because they literally can't comb it when it's dry.

RocketDog
September 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
That's the routine I follow after showering. It's never been a problem for me, as long as I use a good wide-toothed comb and don't just rip through my hair.

mellie89
September 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I do this too, and I think it actually helps me in the long run. My hair dries straighter and less tangly, so I'm less likely to obsessively touch my hair all day or brush it five times because it isn't laying right! I haven't noticed any damage, but then again my length has some dye damage, so it's hard to tell. :shrug:

Naamah
September 11th, 2009, 02:26 AM
That's exactly what I do. Seems to work fine for me. :)