PDA

View Full Version : protecting hair from sun damage: perfect covering for length ?

juliesglory
September 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
i am looking for the perfect covering for my hair, could it be that scrubs thingy that the nurses use that covers all of the hair and all ?
i think i saw something like that a while ago but can't remember exactly how it is called? anyone can help please? :)

Darkhorse1
September 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
The best thing to get is a hat with SPF filters. I work outdoors and I've found hats to be the best in covering scalp hair, with an updo/twist to keep length at minimal exposure. I can be outdoors up to 16 hrs, and using a braid still didn't protect my hair as much as an updo.

There are many products you can use to protect hair from sun ie) oils, leave in conditioners etc. Sunblock for hair only protects colored hair, not virgin hair.

There are some updos with scarves that Igor here has demonstrated in her photo album, but you'd have to get a scarf with SPF protection because UBV rays can penetrate cotton etc.

Good luck!

AmandaPanda
September 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
You could get one of those ponyscrubs (blueskyscrubs.com), then use a special product that will give any clothing SPF when you add it to the wash.

Rit® Sun GuardTM is a revolutionary new laundry additive that washes sun protection into clothing and helps block more than 96% of the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from reaching the skin. When added to a regular wash load, it penetrates the fibers and absorbs UV light rather than allowing it to pass through the fabric. Protects against UVA and UVB Rays.

juliesglory
September 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
great suggestions, i'll look for a special hat or maybe that product that you mention :) thanks a lot!

Darkhorse1
September 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
There are also SPF buffs you can buy--I have some and love them-I do find them tricky to stay on my weirdly shaped head, but they will cover head and hair.

The SPF hat I have I bought at a place called Marks Work Warehouse --I think it's Canadian based, but this hat is awesome! Vented too so you don't get too hot.

Cinnamon Hair
September 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Just want to second the recommendation for UV Buffs. I have one and it is fabulous!

juliesglory
September 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
i have to find one of these buffs :)
thank you !