PDA

View Full Version : Wow look at that hair!

klcqtee
September 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I was looking for long hair and came across this: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-04/12/content_849129.htm

Wow, that's a lot of hair. She must have some very strong arms as well to brush, wash, and groom it.

It's so pretty!

Kat
September 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
She must have a strong NECK! Esp. if she puts it up!!

The longest hair I've seen in pictures/read articles about--and I've seen some longer than this lady; I'm sure there are discussions somewhere in the archives--has been on Asian women, mostly Chinese. I can't recall that I've ever seen an Asian woman with bad hair, period, no matter the length (whether she's Japanese, Indian, or anywhere in between). There must be something about their hair!

Anybody here Asian who can comment on that?

Little_Bird
September 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
From what I can remember, I read some time ago some kind of hair bible, with all about hair (from health to process).

It seems that there are several types of longitudinal shapes to hair (the shape of the body of each strand). African, Asian and Ocidental hair are all diferent. I think I read that Ocidental hair was named caucasoid, and had an oval shape to it. Asian hair is circular, which may be the reason for such beauty and for reflecting so much light. I don't remember what the shape of African hair was tough, but I know it was diferent...

Hope this helped :p Maybe someone can shed more light on this issue :)

little_acorn
September 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thats pretty amazing hair - I'm really sure I could cope with that amount - can I have half of her length - pretty please :D

LaurenH
September 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
WOW! So beautiful and super long!!

Catladyintown
September 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Jacking a little. Little Bird just curious what would Native American hair be called?:)

KaasKnot
September 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Native American hair would probably be considered Asian, as the Native Americans migrated over the land bridge several thousand years ago. I study human bones, and if the skeletal structure of southeast Asians/Native Americans is similar (and it is), I reckon their hair would be too. HTH :flower:

Kat
September 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
If I remember right from what I've read before, African hair is sort of flat, hence why it tends to be brittle...

Catladyintown
September 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Thank you KaasKnot.:-)

shaybabe8604
September 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Wow, that's a lot of hair! Its gorgeous!

Aditi
September 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I wonder since how long she was growing her hair :hmm:

vdhendrix
September 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM
here hair is so beautiful, but i wouldnt want hair so long that i could never wear it down, without it draging on the ground, she probably has to wear it up at all times

Aer
September 10th, 2009, 02:08 AM
That is long!! It's pretty though, I don't know if I could deal with having that much though, it would come out of a bun or something, and I would end up tripping down some steps with how graceful I am and all. My hair is just at mid back, and I get it caught in stuff all the time or get some unknown gunk in it alot, so it would look crazy if my hair got that long.

vindo
September 10th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Hi Jacking a little. Little Bird just curious what would Native American hair be called?:)

Native American hair would probably be considered Asian, as the Native Americans migrated over the land bridge several thousand years ago. I study human bones, and if the skeletal structure of southeast Asians/Native Americans is similar (and it is), I reckon their hair would be too. HTH :flower:

I can confirm that! It is an Asian hairtype!

Sorry for the hikjack! :o

This ladys hair is amazing..you know when I see this much hair I always wonder if it could be a full size cousin IT! :lol:

freckles
September 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM
wow! It looks so healthy :) Very nice!

spidermom
September 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I hope she has help; that's a lot of hair to deal with. It looks to be in good condition, too.

WaimeaWahine
September 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM
She must be really warm and cozy in the winter. I wonder how she sleeps with it.

MemSahib
September 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I think I read that all naturally straight hair strands are circular. Very fine straight hair, which is not typical of Asian or Native American, usually is missing the central part. I think (help me here, somebody) that is called the cortex. At any rate fine hair literally has a much smaller diameter than heavier Asian hair.

Dawna
September 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
My hunch about Asian women's hair:
My husband is Malay. I have spent many years in Malaysia, Southeast and South Asia.
Out of all of my Asian friends with long hair (past flip length), some have silky-smooth manageable hair and some have nappy, brittle, unmanageable hair. In fact, I remember when in India, my friend's young niece was playing with my hair and she commented, "you have soft hair because you are American". My hair is mostly straight, and that little girl's hair was curly with lots of fly-aways, and in a very humid environment.
I would attribute the longer and more beautiful Asian hair that stands out in our minds to less than the total population, and only to people who spend a great amount of time and energy in taking care of it, i.e. An Indian woman who cannot afford shampoo and conditioner uses WO routine and brushes from root to tip several times daily to completely coat with sebum.

vindo
September 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think I read that all naturally straight hair strands are circular. Very fine straight hair, which is not typical of Asian or Native American, usually is missing the central part. I think (help me here, somebody) that is called the cortex. At any rate fine hair literally has a much smaller diameter than heavier Asian hair.

Interesting thought but they are not. Straight caucasian hair is some degree of an oval shape, you can see it under good microscopes. Also the cuticles look different, smaller and less steep. This is what produces a slightly different look even if both hairtypes would be 1a's.
No hair is missing its Cortex...is that what you asked? :confused:

My hunch about Asian women's hair:
My husband is Malay. I have spent many years in Malaysia, Southeast and South Asia.
Out of all of my Asian friends with long hair (past flip length), some have silky-smooth manageable hair and some have nappy, brittle, unmanageable hair. In fact, I remember when in India, my friend's young niece was playing with my hair and she commented, "you have soft hair because you are American". My hair is mostly straight, and that little girl's hair was curly with lots of fly-aways, and in a very humid environment.
I would attribute the longer and more beautiful Asian hair that stands out in our minds to less than the total population, and only to people who spend a great amount of time and energy in taking care of it, i.e. An Indian woman who cannot afford shampoo and conditioner uses WO routine and brushes from root to tip several times daily to completely coat with sebum.

Southern Asia is influenced by different ethnic people, hence why they would look different from a northern Asian person.
Scientists have long wondered over some curly haired tribes in the Philipines. It is the influence of a black ethnic group, you can notice a bit in the facial features also, larger eyes, fuller lips and a bit different noses than northern Asians.
And also, often some of the curly hair comes through. :)

KarpatiiSiv
September 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
wow! It looks lovely and so healthy. I don't think I'd want to have to look after it though!

Beatnik Guy
September 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
She sure has wonderful hair. :bigeyes:

I think it's best not to generalise about ethnicity and hair type though. My experience is that you find all types in all places -- and in most places, ultra-long hair is unusual.

Catladyintown
September 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hijacking again.:D Thank you Emichiee. Okay I am a little bit confused so is Native American hair just like Asian hair or just similar. The reason I ask is my hair is just plain weird. I am NA and Mexican. When my hair was shoulder length it was very coarse and wiry. And when it was Bra length it was very very curly. Now my hair is curly for a couple of hours then it gets strait right away. It goes from very thick to thin in some parts. I was wondering if that is why it breaks off? And I moisture a lot so it should not just break off. Thanks for the help.

savanah
September 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
wow that must have took so long to grow

vindo
September 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hijacking again.:D Thank you Emichiee. Okay I am a little bit confused so is Native American hair just like Asian hair or just similar. The reason I ask is my hair is just plain weird. I am NA and Mexican. When my hair was shoulder length it was very coarse and wiry. And when it was Bra length it was very very curly. Now my hair is curly for a couple of hours then it gets strait right away. It goes from very thick to thin in some parts. I was wondering if that is why it breaks off? And I moisture a lot so it should not just break off. Thanks for the help.

Native American hair is rather similar, depending on the region and the ethnic influences it is more or less like Asian hair.
But keep in mind Asian hair itself these days is also so much influenced by other groups that there is not much of the "original" asian hair anymore.
Asians started when a part of the earth was still really cold, it is assumed that the features helped with a cold climate (like it still does for eskimo)...so over the years, and the climate changes, those features have also changed a bit.

If you are mexican + NA, you could have some European Influences, and then depending on the NA tribe you will have inherited certain genetics (Mexican = recently European influenced NA)

Regarding your hairs texture: You might just be undergoing some texture changes. These can be related to aging, health, health of hair, treatments.
Are you referring to its "thickness" meaning taper? :confused: Taper is not really an ethnic thing...
Could you imagine any health related reason for your breakage? Thyroid conditions promote weak hair.
Could it maybe just be normal breakage? No matter what ethnicity, some hair just breaks more easily. You might have a very delicate hairtype which usually needs drastic care measures (think of what to avoid) to stay strong at longer lengths.

Catladyintown
September 10th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Thank you so much Emichiee for explaining.:)

CaityBear
September 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Gorgeous. I think I remember seeing that picture on Google at one point. Very gorgeous. Don't think I could manage with it. Too long for me, but it is gorgeous hair. Must be very difficult upkeep. haha

klcqtee
September 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I was thinking, what kind of updos must she do? I think even a simple cinnabun might take up the majority of her head! Imagine the monster Perfect (not tail left) sock bun she'd have!

masnmab
September 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
her hair is so beautiful! It looks so healthy.