PDA

View Full Version : So, today...(hair sightings in class)

GlassEyes
September 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I lost my cell phone, and basically got flooded with work (I was taking six courses, now five, but I've opted to KEEP taking three different language courses).

All of these things are bad.

However, there's a girl in one of my classes today who's hair was pretty long wearing a Large Honey Marble Maximas. :p Yes, I'm positive it was a ficcare, even caught a glimpse of the engraving. We wound up being partners in class, and oddly enough, I was wearing my ficcare too. I didn't want to ask though--but I did take down my hair a few times in the hopes she would, but no dice.

Whether she's a member or not is moot--her internet is out, which I found out discussing an e-mail sent by a professor.

Also, while I was waiting in that classroom before class started, I noticed the professor of the class before that was wearing an infinity bun with dutch braided bits up front, I think. Another member? XD; Though one I'd never approach--professor/student stuff and all that.

Edit: Also, yes, I am flooded with work, and I'm still on LHC.

And now on to translate Old English. I'm going to die.

linda g
September 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
:D

(My message is too short, but your post made me smile)

aada
September 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
i apparently have far more lax rules involving student-professor interactions...i'd not even think twice about asking. ;) then again, i have attended to fairly liberal schools and taken very liberal courses, so that may affect it!

but awesome sightings!

now, what are the 3 languages? and old english can be a blast! :p

Renbirde
September 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
D: Why do I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't know Old English or Old Norse?

ENVY!!!!

(Y'know... I don't think I've ever seen a Ficcare in RL...

And how could you not be on LHC? I have a class starting in 9 1/2 hours, and I still need to write a paper, eat something, and sleep... I'm on LHC instead. Life is good.)

:cheese:

missbexy
September 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Ah Old English... I have friends from A level English who liked to use it as if it were contemporary (randomly and frequently in conversation with pretty much anyone). I hope the people on my degree course are as much fun.

janiejones
September 10th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I'm always curious if the person sitting next to me carefully put their bun up after deep conditioning and oiling the day before or just threw it up there in a clip with a thousand bobby pins like they've been doing for years. Or if anyone else in the room puts honey on their hair. And on and on....

GlassEyes
September 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
i apparently have far more lax rules involving student-professor interactions...i'd not even think twice about asking. ;) then again, i have attended to fairly liberal schools and taken very liberal courses, so that may affect it!

but awesome sightings!

now, what are the 3 languages? and old english can be a blast! :p
French, Italian, and the previously mentioned Old English. XD;

I'll admit, it IS really cool--and I like it a lot. However, I'm going to go insane this semester. :D Also, my school is mixed liberal arts and engineering, so eh, I suppose I COULD ask, but I'd feel odd about it--however, might not matter, as I don't have her as a professor. But then again, I might in the future, though I doubt it.

Ah Old English... I have friends from A level English who liked to use it as if it were contemporary (randomly and frequently in conversation with pretty much anyone). I hope the people on my degree course are as much fun.

I really wish I could do that with someone. xD;

@Renbirde: Well, technically, I don't either, soo...xD;

It's one of the few older languages my school offers. They also offer latin, but not ancient greek, sadly. I'd take the latter before the former--though I'd like to take both, but I know latin would drive me BONKERS. @_@

NiAosSi
September 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
"Get to studying you scoundrel!" Says the other student who should be responding to a text she read. ;)

GlassEyes
September 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Nah, I finally finished. xD; :p I'm not exactly sure if my translation is all on the up-and-up, it seems wonky--it's about lords and warriors, and then there's this random part about a fisherman and farmers, which, although not uncommon to mention, just seems random the way I translated it. The rest seems okay, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what went wrong with that line. D:

Aditi
September 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
If she has pretty hair then you should compliment her or ask her where did she bought that hair accessory of hers as you loved it, that way if she is a member she would give out her secret SMT recipe or something :p. BTW i know French language a little can say i am on beginners level it really is easy to learn and interesting.

missbexy
September 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Dare I ask what the line was originally?
I would love to take other languages :( oh well maybe i'll find a way in my spare time. For reference I'm starting Psychology and English degree this year :crazyq:

jennylouwhoo
September 10th, 2009, 02:33 AM
this girl in my chem class has long hair and i sit behind her and i couldnt help myself but look at the large amount of split ends she had i felt bad for her hair =/

ladylibra
September 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I work with a girl who has hair that's longer than waist but might not quite be at hip... hard to gauge because she always wears it in 2 big braids that she pins up. Yesterday I made a brief appearance at work (just to pick up my check) and she had a robin's egg blue ficcare holding up her hair.

I wanted to say something, but thought it'd be weird... :o

Chrissy
September 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Glasseyes - You are too cute. :) I wish you the best in your studies. I think we are all a bunch of chickens when it comes to asking are you a LHCer? I would be mortified to ask and then they look at me like What are you talking about????

Medievalmaniac
September 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM
There's no reason you can't ask the professor if she's a member of the LHC...they're people, too!
She might appreciate the compliment.

Old English is so FUN!! What else are you taking?

Medievalmaniac
September 10th, 2009, 07:21 AM
French, Italian, and the previously mentioned Old English. XD;

whoops, sorry, didn't read this post before asking. Alors, depuis combien de temps as-tu etudie le francais?

(excuse the lack of accent marks...there aren't any in LHC. :) )

Medievalmaniac
September 10th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Nah, I finally finished. xD; :p I'm not exactly sure if my translation is all on the up-and-up, it seems wonky--it's about lords and warriors, and then there's this random part about a fisherman and farmers, which, although not uncommon to mention, just seems random the way I translated it. The rest seems okay, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what went wrong with that line. D:

What was the line? What text are you working with? (Medieval subjects are my life...! :D )

JamieLeigh
September 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Two long-hairs in one day? In the same room, even. Awesome! :rockerdud I bet you'll just have to break down and actually ASK her, "So how long is your hair?" ;)

Poor GE, I hope you get some relax time in, and don't overwork yourself. :flower:

Armelle
September 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hwaet!

Ok, sorry couldn't help myself! I don't think it would hurt to ask her if that was indeed a ficcare she was wearing and perhaps you could ask where she got it. You could mention seeing them on the LHC and etc. :p

I am still rather fond of William Caxton's preface to one of his books explaining the trouble he had deciding WHICH English to use!
Here is the story:
"In the preface to the Eneydos he told a story of some merchants going down the Thames. There was no wind so they landed on the Kent side of the river to buy food. ‘And specyally he axyed after eggys. And the good wyf answerde that she coude speke no frenshe. And the marchaunt was angry for he also coude speke no frenshe but wold haue hadde egges and she vnderstode hym not. And thenne at laste a nother sayd that he wolde haue eyren. Then the good wyf sayd that she vnderstood hym wel. Loo what sholde a man in thyse dayes now wryte egges or eyren? Certaynly it is harde to playse euery man by cause of dyuersite and chaunge of langage’ " :cheese:

Masara
September 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Alors, depuis combien de temps as-tu etudie le francais?

Ha, the joys of a AZERTY keyboard, I've got all the accents I need! :) (no half or quarter button though)

I've never been worried by pupils asking about my hair as long as it's outside of class. of course I'm in a secondary school, which is different

GlassEyes
September 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
whoops, sorry, didn't read this post before asking. Alors, depuis combien de temps as-tu etudie le francais?

Je suck at francais. :D

Okay, that's not true. I've had five years of it (I assume that's what you're asking) and I picked it up fairly quickly, but since it was high school, I didn't put in any effort and stil got 'A's'. Now I have a legitimate interest in learnign, and I'm trying to go about it. :rolleyes:

Luckily, though my skill is poor, I can recognize and somewhat think in what little I know/have left, so it's easier than say, Italian is.

So, basically, J'ai cinq anni de francais. I think. God, I need to practice. I will admit, the desire to learn modern french is to partially be able to leanr to read "The Song of Roland" in the proper format. I'l get there eventually. I hope.

If she has pretty hair then you should compliment her or ask her where did she bought that hair accessory of hers as you loved it, that way if she is a member she would give out her secret SMT recipe or something :p. BTW i know French language a little can say i am on beginners level it really is easy to learn and interesting.
XD As a guy, I can tell how creepy that would go.

It can be easy ni the beginning--I'm fine up until we get into the futur and passe compose. Je deteste le passe compose, c'est...malignant? AGAIN, I NEED PRACTICE. :p

What was the line? What text are you working with? (Medieval subjects are my life...! :D )

Ehhhh. It's some rip that a professor wrote himself nearly a decade ago, and poorly. It's all over the place--first it's about peace, and then all of a sudden there's a war--with no connectivity whatsoever. Also, apparently several men can use ONE spear. :rolleyes: Oy.

I do agree, though. I'm really enjoying it so far--more than Italian, I must say, but that might just be ebcause the professor is kind of all over the place.

Hwaet!

Ok, sorry couldn't help myself! I don't think it would hurt to ask her if that was indeed a ficcare she was wearing and perhaps you could ask where she got it. You could mention seeing them on the LHC and etc. :p

I am still rather fond of William Caxton's preface to one of his books explaining the trouble he had deciding WHICH English to use!
Here is the story:
"In the preface to the Eneydos he told a story of some merchants going down the Thames. There was no wind so they landed on the Kent side of the river to buy food. ‘And specyally he axyed after eggys. And the good wyf answerde that she coude speke no frenshe. And the marchaunt was angry for he also coude speke no frenshe but wold haue hadde egges and she vnderstode hym not. And thenne at laste a nother sayd that he wolde haue eyren. Then the good wyf sayd that she vnderstood hym wel. Loo what sholde a man in thyse dayes now wryte egges or eyren? Certaynly it is harde to playse euery man by cause of dyuersite and chaunge of langage’ " :cheese:

XDDDD Okay, that is fairly amusing.

I suppose I could ask--I will the next time I see her wear it. I don't think she's a member, however.

The OTHER woman, the professor, on the other hand, is a very likely member--that's not a bun you see too often, nevermind with hairsticks. Her hair must've either been REALLY thick, or REALLY long--the infinity was huge. I'm guessing it might be both--the thicker the hair, the longer it has to be to do an infinity well enough to be worn in class--i.e., for comfort, no pulling, etc.

Kotora
September 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm an engineer, too.

What type of engineering are you studying? I also studied languages along with engineering in college. It can be daunting. Wiat til you start translating your engineering terms into another language without even thinking about it! First mark of fluency!

GlassEyes
September 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm an engineer, too.

What type of engineering are you studying? I also studied languages along with engineering in college. It can be daunting. Wiat til you start translating your engineering terms into another language without even thinking about it! First mark of fluency!
Engineer? :p I'm an English major. XDDDD;

Aditi
September 11th, 2009, 01:20 AM
XD As a guy, I can tell how creepy that would go.

It can be easy ni the beginning--I'm fine up until we get into the futur and passe compose. Je deteste le passe compose, c'est...malignant? AGAIN, I NEED PRACTICE. :p

YOU ARE A GUY!!!! :bigeyes: Oh my i am so sorry i thought you are a girl :o
Ok i have to leave i think my mom is calling me :run:

Redheaded Raven
September 11th, 2009, 02:01 AM
That is so cool GlassEyes it is always neat to see a longhair in RL,
And good luck with your studies :cheese:

swanns
September 11th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Haha know how you feel!

I spent the summer in my hometown where you don't really see that many people with Long Hair, but now that I'm back in the capital and at the uni I see LOTS of people with hair that'd be very long even by LHC standards (this week I saw at least three different ladies with classic lenght hair or even longer), and I've also seen a lot of people wearing hairsticks. I always want to walk up to them and ask if they're on LHC but they'd probably just think I'm insane... :p