PDA

View Full Version : taking extra vitamins for growth?

Naters
September 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hello everyone!:) so i was reading an article the other day and it was advertising some supplements for hair growth. I only take a multi-vitamin everyday, which my doctor said is all i really need, but does anyone here have any insight to those supplements that claime to make hair grow faster. I dont know if i should be convinced or not.

Medievalmaniac
September 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I take a multivitamin and have been taking a gelatin, biotin & collagen supplement for growth...I think it is helping my hair, but it seems like it is also breaking my skin out...maybe just an initial reaction that will resolve itself (or I hope so!!)

Fractalsofhair
September 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Biotin does seem to help some people.

However, a multivitamin is really all you NEED, in terms of general health. Being deficient in any vitamin is going to make your hair grow slower. I take a super high dose b vitamin(includes biotin and folic acid) because with my seizure medication, adding the Bs can prevent depression and exhaustion(I was extremely exhausted last year, and mildly depressed upon going on my seizure med). It did speed up my hair growth to 1 inch per month, which is roughly the normal rate for me...

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Igor has a great article (in the articles section) on supplements and vitamins.... I am taking a multi, additional potassium and magnesium, biotin, evening primrose oil, flax seed oil (switched form fish oil due to fish burps- eew!), glucosamine w/ msm and an herbal supplement for hair and nails... I take these both for overall health and hair growth.
I have only been tracking growth for a month, I got an inch (sept will be month 2), but feel good too.....

missfortune9335
September 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
some people will say yes, and some will say no. My personal opinion is that a vitamin will only help with hair growth if your diet is difcient in certian vitamins and/or minerals. Otherwise there's nothing magic in them that makes hair grow.

also, there have been studies showing that most vitamin pills are not really absorbed into the body much at all, as our sewer systems are getting clogged full of undigested vitamins! lol!
I know Centrum makes a chewable adult vitamin which would probably work better.

As for biotin, IMHO it's better to just get it into your diet naturally. It's found in tomatoes, swiss chard, carrots, romaine lettuce, eggs, almonds, bananas, strawberries, oranges, just to name some.

MissManda
September 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I don't know much about vitamins and how they affect hair growth *scampers over to read Igor's article*, but my mother-in-law (who is an herbalist), says that nori (Japanese seaweed) helps your hair grow faster. This was great news for me, because I love to snack on nori! :)

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
some people will say yes, and some will say no. My personal opinion is that a vitamin will only help with hair growth if your diet is difcient in certian vitamins and/or minerals. Otherwise there's nothing magic in them that makes hair grow.

also, there have been studies showing that most vitamin pills are not really absorbed into the body much at all, as our sewer systems are getting clogged full of undigested vitamins! lol!
I know Centrum makes a chewable adult vitamin which would probably work better.

As for biotin, IMHO it's better to just get it into your diet naturally. It's found in tomatoes, swiss chard, carrots, romaine lettuce, eggs, almonds, bananas, strawberries, oranges, just to name some.

There may be a lot of truth to that.... as a "newbie" I tried EVERYTHING my first month :oops: I think after Sept (month 2) I may cut back on the vitamins for a month (maybe just the multi and flax seed ) and see if my growth changes.......
I tend to eat pretty healthy, but I still like the idea of taking a supplement (placebo effect, haha)

missfortune9335
September 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
There may be a lot of truth to that.... as a "newbie" I tried EVERYTHING my first month :oops: I think after Sept (month 2) I may cut back on the vitamins for a month (maybe just the multi and flax seed ) and see if my growth changes.......
I tend to eat pretty healthy, but I still like the idea of taking a supplement (placebo effect, haha)

I'm no expert by any means, and if vitamins work for you then that's great! It's just what makes sense to me personally, that's all :flower:

Naters
September 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
thanks so much for the advice ladies!!:D ya i guess there definetely is no harm in taking some extra vitamins. I used to take omega 3(fish oil) but i realized everytime i took it i would get soo natious and many times would actually make me vomit-very gross. So for now i guess ill just stick to my multi and try to eat healthy!

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm no expert by any means, and if vitamins work for you then that's great! It's just what makes sense to me personally, that's all :flower:

No worries! That was not meant snarky :D I really meant, I tried EVERYTHING :lol:
I spent enough on vitamins to buy a new car (slight exaggeration). I do feel good and my hair is growing, but I want to see what happens if I cut back a titch.

Naters
September 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Oh gosh i know marikamt! the price of vitamins these days is absurdly expensive! Even a regular multi, i just dont understand it.

missfortune9335
September 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
No worries! That was not meant snarky :D I really meant, I tried EVERYTHING :lol:
I spent enough on vitamins to buy a new car (slight exaggeration). I do feel good and my hair is growing, but I want to see what happens if I cut back a titch.

I didn't think you were snarky at all, I was hoping you didn't think I was making fun of you for taking suppliments! lol there've been a few misunderstandings on the boards lateley I guess we're being a little overly cautious :p

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I didn't think you were snarky at all, I was hoping you didn't think I was making fun of you for taking suppliments! lol there've been a few misunderstandings on the boards lateley I guess we're being a little overly cautious :p

too funny! I didn't know if you thought I was being snarky, but wanted to clarify cause there has been so much snarkiness on the board lately......
ain't we so polite :lol: we should start our own etiquette thread.... :D

RancheroTheBee
September 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
They actually didn't do much for me, in the long run. And I've tried a lot of vitamins. It works for some people, but they didn't do a whole lot for me. That said, some people get GREAT results with them.

natorade
September 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
I take the nourishair by GNC, but I don't think they are making my hair grow any faster, as I only got 3/4 in my first month of growing my hair out.

pinchbeck
December 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I take the nourishair by GNC, but I don't think they are making my hair grow any faster, as I only got 3/4 in my first month of growing my hair out.
3/4" is impressive! Normal growth rates are usually 1/2"!

redneckprincess
December 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I take

Biotin
Gelatin
Fish oils
Prenatel vitimans (multi vitiman)
MSM

i think thats it, lol
Im POSITIVE they help

jojo
January 17th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I take DE, msm, glucosamie and iron with molasses and yes I have seen an increase with hair growth, since taking them November 09 my hair has grown a lot quicker. for the whole of 2009 I got a rotten 2.5" in total, I have got 1.5" in 8 weeks since taking the above.

Deimos
January 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I generally try to eat healthy and take a multivitamin for vegetarians and a Hair/Nails-supplement. My hair grows with about average rate, maybe slightly more.

tanula
February 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I take iron to raise my iron storage. Also i take prenatal vitamins, omega 3, borage oil, zinc because I take too much of iron and I do not want to fall short on zinc. For the past week I have been taking collagen.

Monsterkitti
February 4th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I take quite a few at the moment, a multivitamin, kelp, biotin, fish oil and MSM.

I think Im going to stop the biotin, I havent seen much change in growth and I reckon my improving diet at the moment will cover my biotin needs. Kelp hasnt done anything for me really, Im going to finish my bottle and then stop that.

I feel better taking a multi vitamin and the fish oil, not really for hair growth but I think if I feel better on them it cant be doing my hair any harm. Ive still got the MSM on trial :) My hair does seem to be speeding up growth wise over last few weeks but think that might be spring on its way really.

Hudar
February 4th, 2010, 09:19 PM
i take a multi vitamin, 5 mg of biotin and 2 tablets of GNC ultra nourishair
and a daily dose of DE everyday in my drink

Debra83
February 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I take msm, silica, calcium/magnesium, d, c, a, e, multivitamin, omega 3-6-9...think that's it....