PDA

View Full Version : Question for trimmers

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
It has been around 9+ months since my last trim (pre-lhc). I was using cones up until the beginning of this month and my ends looked okay. Have now been cone free and see some splits... nothing major, but they are definitely there. Not every hair (not even half) and maybe only a millimeter long. Were the cones covering it? Should I trim asap? I would really like to wait to finish this month (to track growth) but don't want further damage.
They really don't look gross (as far as I can tell), just the usual awkward shag from growing layers w/out a trim.
I am currently just past BSL and goal is waist (about 4-5 inches to go). Last month I grew an inch....
Trim for health or keep going for now??

redwoman
September 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I would trim just enough to be rid of them as I've heard that splits can travel up the length of the hair...for whats its worth, its what I do, about twice a year a half inch snipped off just to be safe.:D

Kaijah
September 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
If there really aren't that many, and the ends aren't snarly and dried out... just do a bit of Search and Destroy? That's what I've been doing, personally, rather than straight-across trims. It seems a bit of a waste to cut off half to an inch of otherwise healthy hair for just a few scattered splits.

dancingmegs
September 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I see from your sig picture that you seem to have natural looking ends (not super blunt), so if you want to preserve that, you might want to just snip the splits off individually. However, if you want a blunt hemline, a 1/4 inch trim would neaten things out, and not set you very far back.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the splits travelling up the hair. If that was true, I would have a head full of massive splits. My hair is fingertip length and prone to splits, which I'm not particularly great at cutting off regularly.

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I see from your sig picture that you seem to have natural looking ends (not super blunt), so if you want to preserve that, you might want to just snip the splits off individually. However, if you want a blunt hemline, a 1/4 inch trim would neaten things out, and not set you very far back.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the splits travelling up the hair. If that was true, I would have a head full of massive splits. My hair is fingertip length and prone to splits, which I'm not particularly great at cutting off regularly.

They are actually sorta U shaped... less so, since I have not been trimmed.... I was VERY impatient in my siggy pic and the ends were still a little wet :p
Not sure how I feel about the ends... personally, on me, I don't think I would like fairytale ends..... but I really don't think I want blunt either... somewhere in between suits me best... probably the U that I am currently growing out...

friskybiznus
September 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I think your hair looks good. If you feel you need to trim, I'd agree with taking only about 1/4 " off for now. Then check it again in 3 or 4 months and see how it's going.

JamieLeigh
September 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
It's normal to stop using cones and then mysteriously find damage, as that's what the cones do - they seal the hair shaft, and sometimes you can't see splits until after you've clarified and stopped using cones. I agree with just doing the S&D. Even in your sig pic, which you say was a rushed pic, your ends look very nice and natural. And as someone else posted, there's no need to take off an entire layer of hair just for a few splits. :flower:

Blueneko
September 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I trim about every 8-10 months. Works for me!

maxzeen
September 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I think your hair looks good. If you feel you need to trim, I'd agree with taking only about 1/4 " off for now. Then check it again in 3 or 4 months and see how it's going.

I agree :)

heatherdazy
September 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM
The last inch or so in your sig pic definitely stands out from the rest of your hair to me. I was going to suggest a 1/4" trim, but if you only trim once a year, better make it 1".

marikamt
September 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Okay- updated my siggy pic w/ DRY hair.... :lol:
now I know I need something trimmed sooner or later, but an inch? really? that kinda makes me sad......... :cry:

heatherdazy
September 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Then just do 1/2" now and 1/2" in six months.