PDA

View Full Version : is this silicone?

Toadstool
September 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-12 Distearate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol, Isopropylparaben, Cetrimonium Bromide, Phosphoric Acid, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Acetamide Mea, Glycerin, Sodium Lauriminodipropionate, Sorbitol, Hydroxylated Lecithin, Simmondsia Chinensis, Simethicone, Helianthus Annuus, Carthamus Tinctorius, Ethanolamine, Avena Sativa, CI 15985, Melissa Officinalis, Humulus Lupulus, Foenicullum Vulgare, Aloe Barbadensis, Methylparaben, Yeast Extract, Ethylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Propylaparaben.

Okay. Sorry to be dumb but whenever I use this deep contitioner my hair feels great when wet, but then coated and dry. is one of these ingredients silicone?

peachrose
September 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-12 Distearate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol, Isopropylparaben, Cetrimonium Bromide, Phosphoric Acid, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Acetamide Mea, Glycerin, Sodium Lauriminodipropionate, Sorbitol, Hydroxylated Lecithin, Simmondsia Chinensis, Simethicone, Helianthus Annuus, Carthamus Tinctorius, Ethanolamine, Avena Sativa, CI 15985, Melissa Officinalis, Humulus Lupulus, Foenicullum Vulgare, Aloe Barbadensis, Methylparaben, Yeast Extract, Ethylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Propylaparaben.

Okay. Sorry to be dumb but whenever I use this deep contitioner my hair feels great when wet, but then coated and dry. is one of these ingredients silicone?

That one is. Any ingredient that ends with -cone is. :)

Pierre
September 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Simethicone is a cone.

Other ingredients I recognize: Simmondsia is jojoba. Helianthus is sunflower, Carthamus is safflower, Avena is oat, Humulus is hop, Foeniculum is fennel.

frodolaughs
September 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
slightly off-topic, but why do these ingredient lists always start off with 'aqua' instead of 'water?'
Like peachrose said, simethicone is a cone.

spidermom
September 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'd be more concerned about the alcohol (about 1/3 of the way into the second line of ingredients). Other alcohols listed are o.k., but that one is drying.

rach
September 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Simethicone is a cone.

Other ingredients I recognize: Simmondsia is jojoba. Helianthus is sunflower, Carthamus is safflower, Avena is oat, Humulus is hop, Foeniculum is fennel.

thats interesting to take note. thank you :blossom:

Heidi_234
September 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'd be more concerned about the alcohol (about 1/3 of the way into the second line of ingredients). Other alcohols listed are o.k., but that one is drying.
Keen eye!

That's weird, why would they mix alcohol in there. The cone is actually very low in the list (right were all the fancy herbs are, which means it's content is very low), I use a conditioner with dimethicone *gasp* down the list, and it doesn't build up in my hair horribly or anything, I'm not forced to clarify all the time and I don't use shampoos at all. So yeah, up to you.

feralnature
September 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
When I joined LHC, I threw away any product that even remotely had ingredients like this. I don't like the alcohol, the Simethicone and neither does my hair. I have a huge box of products that I am giving to my daughters and sisters because they use this stuff and will buy it anyway (whether I explain why I won't use them or not).

maxzeen
September 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
yeah that definately has cones in it

Lamb
September 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Is this the Aussie 3-Minute deep treatment by any chance?

Toadstool
September 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Lamb - wow Yes it is the aussie one - you should get a prize!Can you do it with all brands or just aussie ones?:)
Thanks so much everyone I KNEW it was doing something to my hair but just could n't find a silicone when I tried to look - obviously couldn't see for looking!

Lamb
September 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Lamb - wow Yes it is the aussie one - you should get a prize!Can you do it with all brands or just aussie ones?:)
:bow:
Just the aussie ones, because I used them when I was in the UK last summer. :) Where do I get my prize? :D

I had very similar experiences with this treatment btw, it was fine for a day or two, then my hair turned into one straw-like, wax-coated mess. Which is why I recognized the ingredients, I spent quite a while perusing the list.
I had no problem at all with the shampoo and conditioner (don't remember the name, the one for everyday use, promising no buildup). In fact, those worked very nicely.

Pierre
September 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
slightly off-topic, but why do these ingredient lists always start off with 'aqua' instead of 'water?'

So say the rules of the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INCI).