PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Armelle
September 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I realize that my office chair (in which I spend 10 hours a day at work and a variable amount of time in at home) is damaging my hair but I can not seem to pull my hair up for more than an hour at a time due to the weight pulling at my scalp and giving me a headache. I have chronic migraines anyway and am not interested in adding to the problem. It does not matter if I have a bun, pony tail, braids or whatever nor does it matter where it's positioned on my head.

What do y'all suggest?

frodolaughs
September 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I sometimes get a headache if I do a bun or braid too tight or get it unbalanced, but certainly don't have as much of a difficulty as you do. When you braid your hair can you do it loosely so it doesn't pull. If you can, you might try simply letting the braid rest over your shoulder. That would keep the weight off your head, and you could change it from side to side to prevent getting out of balance. Good luck!

redwoman
September 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
My thoughts exactly. Just do a simple braid and put it over one shoulder or the other. Maybe some other people have a better idea.

SimplyLonghair
September 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I know that it is something different, but have you tried hair taping or a snood? Failing that I would wear my hair forward so that it didn't contact my chair. The taping or the snood balance the hair so that the weight is more or less like you are wearing it down.

Here are some hair taping links
http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjc4GJGUZBM

Hopefully some of these will help.

tameriska
September 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
What about just hanging a smooth material over the back of the office chair, or putting a silky pillowcase over the back of the chair at home?

maxzeen
September 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
maybe wrap your hair in silk or put your hair over your shoulder?

jivete
September 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM
What about pulling it over your shoulder? You could alternate shoulders. Unless your office is windy, I would think that would provide enough protection.

spidermom
September 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
If my hair is down, I pull it to the front of my shoulders so that I'm not grinding it against the back of the chair. Easy-peasy!

EvaSimone
September 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I am similar to you I have lots of problems with pulling my hair up, I even get migraines too.

I usually wear my hair in a low braid or in a bun that an Indian girl at work showed me how to do. It's the most balanced and comfortable bun I've ever put in my hair. If I have some time I will try to post a video of how to do it, if you're interested.

I like the idea of the silk or satin put on the back of your chair.

Armelle
September 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have thought of a snood. Does anyone have any patterns they'd suggest? The off the market snoods I've seen don't appeal to me. :o
I may try hair taping. I'll need an extra pair of hands I think.

I have to admit some surprise at the suggestions of silk or slinky fabric. They catch my hair worse than anything. Maybe it's because my hair is so rough.

The best success I have is wearing two pigtail braids. They are much lighter than a single braid and I can pull them forward without pulling at the back of my head. It's just sometimes I feel a bit silly. Perhaps I should just get over that! :D

ZadenWillowfyre
September 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I would go with some suggestions hear and say some sort of light wrap or maybe a loose simple braid you can have over your shoulder. I hope you find a good solution that works!
Oh yeah...btw I love pigtail braids....soo cute! I wear them quite often myself <3.

frodolaughs
September 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I used to feel silly about pigtail braids, but have gotten more compliments with that style than with any other, and it does work well for keeping the hair out of the way. As far as fabrics go, I really think a smooth silky fabric will be less harmful to your hair than a rough one. Even if your hair gets stuck in it somewhat, I think that a fine silk won't damage your hair as much as a rougher fabric, but in order to minimize damage it sounds like pigtails over your shoulders--or just pulling your hair in front of you--would be the best solution.

JamieLeigh
September 10th, 2009, 08:42 AM
If silk catches at your hair, why not try just a cotton jacket or a small blanket, over the backrest of your chair? I'm sorry to hear that updos won't help - that would have been my first suggestion. Or maybe you could do a single braid and pull it around front over your shoulder, if you don't think it'd be in your way. :confused:

SimplyLonghair
September 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
If silk grabs, have you tried organic cotton t-shirt material, it is very soft and slippery. My dd used to do a braid that she braided a long piece of material in her hair, it was draped over the front of her head like a headband and then braided into the hair. It took the weight of the hair and balanced it so that it didn't make her head hurt.
http://www.knitting-crochet.com/found/snood.html
http://www.crochetnbeads.com/files/Snood.pdf
I don't know if they would work but these are a start! :D

DragonLady
September 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
When I discovered my chair was the source of years of breakage, I had to do several things:

1) I covered the chair. I used a silky poly blend from my sewing stash, but if that won't work for you a cotton sheet or a smooth, tight knit might be better.

2) I either put my hair up before I sit down, or braid it loosely and pull it over my shoulder in front of me. I take my hair back down pretty often during the day and re-do it, or else my head and neck start hurting. So a hair stick or fork work best since I can re-do it in just a few seconds.

3) S&D sessions often so that breakage that does happen doesn't keep getting worse.

4) Make sure other things aren't causing just as much trouble. My heavy winter sweaters weren't particularly kind; and neither was a top I was fond of wearing that tied behind my neck. :(

InTheCity
September 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Decoratively drape/tie some silk or satin over/around the chair back. We did this in the ole' sorority house just to make our old university-paid-for furniture look presentable. So it may even make it look cute!