PDA

View Full Version : is ROPE braiding bad for hair?

indigonight
September 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM
This morning I decided to try a ropebraid bun and although it looks lovely as I twisted my hair into the braid I found quite a few strands coming out in my hands. Am I being too rough? Is there a technique to this? or are the twists simply not good for hair: simply put is ROPE braiding bad for hair?
I wondered if people had similar or dissimilar experiences....

thanks guys n gals
x

Heidi_234
September 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Did it hurt you scalp to twist? It's probably just shed hair that were still lingering in your hair and came out as you grabbed and twisted. If it did hurt the scalp, then you twist it too tightly, and that's not necessary. Rope braid is pretty much as harmless as it gets.

Thinthondiel
September 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I've been wondering about the same thing, indigonight... because I feel that when I rope braid my hair, the twisted sections rub a lot against each other when I tighten the braid, which feels like it might damage my hair.

heidihug
September 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I find that rope braiding is less damaging to my hair, and I notice less hair loss with it than I do with, say, french braiding. It can be a bit tangly when unbraiding, though.

Medievalmaniac
September 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I haven't noticed any adverse side effects from rope braiding...must have been some stray hairs, or perhaps as other pp noted, you may have twisted too tightly...?

frodolaughs
September 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I don't find that rope braiding causes damage, but it does make the damage I have more visible--split and damaged ends seem to work their way to the surface of the twist and pop out where I can see them. It makes it an excellent choice for casual s&d.

spidermom
September 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I've learned to avoid any style that involves twisting. I believe that the friction causes damage. I'm not positive about this, however.

Longlocks3
September 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I LOVE to rope braid my hair. I usually do it on wet to damp hair. I find that if I do it tight enough but not overly tight it is much less damaging than say wearing my hair down. When I wrap the twisted sections together I try to limit the friction I put on them when I wrap.

Gumball
September 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I think any braiding, no matter how gentle the braider is, will involve some sort of friction, whether it's light or heavy. When it comes to rope braids some may shy away from it because of the twisting. I think when it comes to twisting it often can depend on tightness. It's the same how a really tightly twisted bun might not be the best for hair, and a rope braid twisted to within an inch of its life might not be great either.

Luckily for rope braids the twisting loosens up just a little bit once the braiding is done. I think the main thing to worry about is being gentle. If you aren't really forcing your hair to do something, but coaxing it instead, then it shouldn't be too bad.

If hairs come out as you braid and you haven't felt them being pulled out or heard them snap off then just like it's been said they are probably shed hairs that are sitting in with the rest of the still-attached ones waiting for a way to get freed up.

ETA: Wish I could rope braid my hair when wet, but I get artificial dreads that are often times time consuming to comb out when I undo it at the end of the day. Go go curly hair that loves to take a shape.

Heidi_234
September 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
ETA: Wish I could rope braid my hair when wet, but I get artificial dreads that are often times time consuming to comb out when I undo it at the end of the day. Go go curly hair that loves to take a shape.
I love my dreadcurls! :D

indigonight
September 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
thanks guys, I think I'll keep my rope braiding to minimal as I did hear snapping hairs and I just feel the style creates more friction than english braids and what not........

JamieLeigh
September 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
The only bad thing I've ever noticed from a rope braid was that my hair seemed a tad more tangly than usual.....but that was also from back when I brushed it. I only comb and fingercomb now. :D

MemSahib
September 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Hmmmmm... I'm not sure mine gets more tangly. I'll have to watch out for this.

windinherhair
September 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I had asked the same question about french braiding before. I think it is fine as long as you are not too rough with your hair (twisting it too tight).