PDA

View Full Version : Winter is around the corner...

hmmruka
September 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
This is my first winter with a considerable amount of hair, and since i gave up using my hair dryer over a year ago I was wondering what people do to dry their hair on cold snowy days? I live in Denver Colorado so the weather changes very often, but when it is cold and snowy I don't know how I'm gonna deal with my hair on the days I wash, seeing as it can take 4 or 5 hours for my hair to air dry. Also I have to wear my hair up or back at work and lately i have been having to put it up wet and when I take it down its wet and gross. This may be a stupid question but this is the first time in my life I have grown hair past my shoulders. Any advise?

mellie89
September 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Buffalo girl here, I feel your pain. I try to wash my hair in the evening a couple hours before bed so that it can air dry. If I have to wash it in the morning, I just use the blow dryer on cool for awhile until I determine that I can go outside without getting icicles in my hair.

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I really can't help you because, altough we have a cold Winter here (which I love) it's not as cold as you mention (we never have snow).
I always let my hair air dry, I try to wash it in the morning so I won't have troubles with sleeping with it wet at night (yes, during the Winter, my hair takes a whole day to air dry :eek:)...

Anyways, I wish you good luck! I'm sure someone will be able to help you. And don't forget that that are a lot of people who carefully blowdry their hair all the time and still have gorgeous hair... Maybe that's a solution?? :confused:

Good luck! And you have pretty hair! :D

Irishred
September 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
What I do in the winter to avoid the hairdryer is try to wash when I have time to stay indoors and warm and not too late at night. We also have portable (fan) heaters that I will plan to sit near one (3-5 ft) to help dry. I have my DD5y do the same thing. I will use the hair dryer when it is really cold out or we don't have time to sit by the heater. Occasionally using the hair dryer to at least partially dry as long as you are careful and don't super heat your hair should not be that harmful. I prefer dry hair over a cold any day of the winter.

teela1978
September 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I've always been an evening washer. Even if I go to bed with soaking hair its usually mostly dry by morning. When I was in colder climates (Fort Collins, not too far from you) I'd wash an hour or two before bed, towel dry and have damp hair by bedtime. Totally dry by morning. Also, occasional blowdrying on cool/low shouldn't hurt anything, and definitely helps when you need it.

Hiriel
September 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I quite simply never wash my hair in the morning. I wash it at 8-9 PM, so that it's mostly dried before bed (around midnight), I don't mind sleeping with slightly damp hair. My hair behaves badly if I'm out and about when it's still damp regardless of weather.

Konstifik
September 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'll go with the flow and suggest evening washes. :)
Haven't taken a shower in the morning for... Well, years now. Living in a place with harsh winter about 5-6 months per year. It works just fine.

Thinthondiel
September 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day... I just couldn't remember what I've done to avoid getting frozen hair during previous winters. I've never really worried about my hair during winter before though, since I've had shorter hair, and since I just haven't cared that much about my hair until now. But I'm guessing I've just made sure to shower in the evenings when it's been below freezing outside - I normally shower in the evenings anyway. But I know I've occasionally been outside with frozen hair, which is actually kind of fascinating. I doubt I'd like it now, though, considering I'm more worried about the health of my hair now.

Loreley
September 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I wash a few hours before bed, too and sleep with wet hair. My hair is very thick, so when it's very cold it takes about 15 hours to be totally dry. When I have to go somewhere in the morning I blow dry it before I go outside. :p

Hiriel
September 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I know I've occasionally been outside with frozen hair, which is actually kind of fascinating. I doubt I'd like it now, though, considering I'm more worried about the health of my hair now.
It is fascinating. But now I'd probably imagine the freezing water expanding and making my hair explode ;)

shaybabe8604
September 8th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe you could try blowdrying with a hooded dryer or a handheld on a cool setting just to get it dry enough to bun it and not freeze when you are outdoors...

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I can't stand to go outdoors with wet hair on a warm day, much less a cold day. In wintertime, I make sure my washes are at least 5 hours before bedtime, to allow time for my hair to dry. (I have 5 small kids, and I manage to make time - believe me, it can be done!) If I really really need to wash, but just can't make that time happen, I just tough it out an extra day and wear it up in some updo that doesn't show off my length as much (like an infinity or figure-8...). If I HAVE to be outdoors with wet hair, I cinnabun it quickly and make sure all the wet ends are secure, and attempt to cover it up with either a knit cap or a scarf.

Luckily, the winters in Alabama are very very mild, so I don't have as much chance to catch cold. :)

Medievalmaniac
September 11th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Try getting your washes down to twice a week, and have one of those days be a weekend day so you don't have to worry about it on that day...then on the morning that you wash during the week, try waking up an hour earlier than you usually do and take your shower right away; keep your hair wrapped in the towel and squeeze gently to allow it to absorb as much of the water as possible, then bun it when you go outslide and cover with a scarf or stocking hat.

As a morning washer myself, I usually run out, start it, and get the car heated before I leave the house for the morning, then let my hair back down from the bun once I get in the car and let it dry in the heated car during my commute, which is about 30 minutes..it's kind of like a whole-car diffuser blow dryer, in a way! But by the time I get to work, my hair is usually either almost dry or at least only damp.

maxzeen
September 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM
i live in florida now, but i lived in new jersey all the way until i graduated high school. i had long hair in high school and i remember in the winter time i would take my shower the night before and wash my hair and let it air dry for a few hours before bed. then by the time i wake up in the morning my hair is pretty much dry.

hope this helps!

cassie_g
September 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I wash at night but my hair is no where near dry by morning. So I put it up in a bun and wear a nice stretchy hat or braid it, tuck it inside my sweatjacket and then wrap a scarf around my neck and put the hood up. I might look funny but it keeps me and my hair warm. I live in Wisconsin so it gets real cold in December/January (temps in the single digits with wind chills below 0 F.)

marikamt
September 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I am unable (most nights) to wash in the evening.... my schedule is pretty packed and before work/ school washes are my only option. We get VERY cold winters here (stretches of below zero).... I have to dry before I go out. I know LadyLongLocks uses a blow dryer.... I figure if it is not burning my hand (temperature-wise), it should be okay once in a while for my hair. I don't wash daily and I don't dry unless I absolutely have to (very cold, date w/ DH, etc).
If I went out in the cold I would be afraid it would freeze and break (when your boogies freeze in your nose, it is COLD :lol: )

hmmruka
September 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks for all the advise guys!

WaimeaWahine
September 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I've always been an evening washer. Even if I go to bed with soaking hair its usually mostly dry by morning. When I was in colder climates (Fort Collins, not too far from you) I'd wash an hour or two before bed, towel dry and have damp hair by bedtime. Totally dry by morning. Also, occasional blowdrying on cool/low shouldn't hurt anything, and definitely helps when you need it.

Same here. :)

I shower before bed and braid or bun it and it's mostly dry in the morning. Also, skipping a day or two of washing your hair isn't bad either.

deko
September 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
If it's freezing weather you must wash your hair in the evening. Or blowfry it in the morning. I wash my hair as soon as I get home from work when I know I don't have to go anywhere that night. Winter is really bad time for your hair, so keep moisturising it properly and always wear some sort of hat or scarf.

In Finland we get -25...-30°C (-13...-22°F) temperature in wintertime, so we are prepared :)