PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Hairstyle Associate You With Your Task?

yellowchariot
September 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Every time I get ready to do any yard work or mowing, I pull my hair back in one of the functional styles that I've learned how to do, since I've joined LHC. My favorites thus far, are the banded ponytail and the French /Mohawk braid. Any time I go outdoors to work, I'll be wearing one or the other.

When the neighbors see me and notice the braid or banded ponytail in my hair, they say things such as. . . "Good day to mow isn't it?" or "I see that your getting ready to cut those weeds"! :D Then I normally respond, "Yup I'm getting ready to kick some grass!" LOL. :p

Is there any particular hairstyle that people tend to associate you with, when you are about to do a certain job or task?

mira-chan
September 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Other than my dance performances (hairstyle with prominent Kanzashi), not really. It's generally in a bun of some kind every day anyway. The bun varies, but more according to what I feel like creating in the morning and my hair condition at the time.

redwoman
September 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, if my hair is not in the usual cinnabun and loose they want to know where I'm going out to lol. You can tell a lot from someones hair.:)

Medievalmaniac
September 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM
My students expect my hair to be up...if it is down, they tease me with my own teaching: "I thought that medieval women wore their hair up all the time in public places!" lol (I teach literature, mainly medieval and Renaissance literature)

marikamt
September 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Clean bun=going to work, oiled bun=day off, half up=running errands, ponytail=going to class, down and curled= finally getting fun time (going out) :D

although now-a-days the "curls" are rag or sock bun waves...... :lol:

eadwine
September 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
A bun, at work. Any which bun, they never see it down or in a ponytail, it simply is too long for that now for the work environment.

viking_quest
September 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I always wear a braid when I'm taking a test but nobody has made the association yet at school.

ericthegreat
September 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Oh definitely. When I'm serious and all about business, I will tie my hair back into a tight, neat slick wet ponytail, I'll even smooth in a little conditioner or oil into my scalp and brush it thro with my 100% boar bristle brush for extra shine.

My hair is too sleek and slippery to hold a decent updo and I personally don't like any hairstyles that are complicated or take more than 5 minutes to do, so I never do them.

When I have my hair blown out and flat ironed pin straight, you jsut know I'm ready to get the party started and have a night out on the town!

Anje
September 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Definitely. My hair is almost always in a bun on days when I expect the lab work to be potentially hair-hazardous! It usually gets to come down and be loose or in braids during my leisure time.

feralnature
September 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
My work consists of taking my walking stick and leading my herd of 30-ish dairy goats out of their pen and and out across the ranch land to find something to eat, much like a little herd boy would do, back in the day. So to protect my hair and face from the hot merciless Texas sun, I wear a ponytail and either my baseball cap or my sombrero. I am always really careful that the cap or hat does not damage my hair with any friction. We have had 67 days this summer where the temp has been 100 degrees F or higher so it has been brutal to hair and skin.

Heidi_234
September 8th, 2009, 11:13 AM
If I wear a swim cap then I'm swimming? *hiding* :p

yellowchariot
September 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
My work consists of taking my walking stick and leading my herd of 30-ish dairy goats out of their pen and and out across the ranch land to find something to eat, much like a little herd boy would do, back in the day. So to protect my hair and face from the hot merciless Texas sun, I wear a ponytail and either my baseball cap or my sombrero. I am always really careful that the cap or hat does not damage my hair with any friction. We have had 67 days this summer where the temp has been 100 degrees F or higher so it has been brutal to hair and skin.

^ I can relate, However I'm the one that's usually rounding them up to put them back into the pen when they escape lol (boer goats)

If I wear a swim cap then I'm swimming? *hiding* :p

^ People must think your loosing your hair then :tongue: ! No J/K! lol

feralnature
September 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, Boer goats, I have 3.

My Mini-LaManchas are the escape artists though and my standard LaManchas just go with the flow. (that rhymed :)) My herd follows me anywhere, even back INTO the pen...it's all in how you mess with their heads as I am sure you know :)

Madame J
September 8th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I almost always wear a French braid when I go running before 10 am, and I wear it in a clipped up French braid covered with my Buff if I'm going to be out later in the morning on a sunny day, so when my husband sees me French braiding my hair at 6:30 in the morning (or before breakfast, anyway), he knows I'm planning on going running.

Rivanariko
September 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I don't know if anyone really makes an association with any of my styles. I always french braid it when I'm going to ride so that it will fit under my helmet and (somewhat) stay put. Everyday wear when not at the barn is a sloppy knot secured with a hairstick. If I have more time in the morning or I'm going somewhere slightly nicer I might do a more visually appealing bun. Loose english braid for bed.

little_acorn
September 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Tight cinnabun ontop of my head secured with a short kelto for yard work (covered with a bandana if its sunny). Any variety of bun for work with one of my more fancy hairsticks. Down if going out and braids for oiling and bedtime :D

Heavenly Locks
September 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
If I'm wearing the green bow pinned under my bun, I am definitely on my way to work. :) (the green one matches my uniform)

slz
September 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Whenever I go to work with my hair down, my students know it''s because I was late in the morning and didn't have time to braid - wich I do during the next break, otherwise it'll turn into a total mess quite fast.

yellowchariot
September 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Also if I'm wearing a ponytail, most people say "Nice day for a walk/jog isn't it?" LOL, I dunno, I guess being a guy people, especially female pay more attention to the hair I guess :confused:

ZadenWillowfyre
September 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Meh...my styles change. But it's usually braided for bed time haha!

Gumball
September 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Not really. My hair has a default style a majority of the time, and when it varies and I do another style it's more on a whim than for anything specific. I can't say that I have any task-associated styles at the moment.

janiejones
September 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Braided is definitely getting ready to sleep....Other styles are indicators of my level of irritability/seriousness. For instance, if I'm studying or working on something intricate or just really trying hard to get something done, it will be completely secured and up.

Addy
September 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'll put my hair up if I'm cleaning. I don't like to have it dangling in my face if I'm cleaning the toilet or something. My styles aren't specific either. If I have a ponytail holder on my wrist, I'll use that. If I have a stick, then I'll go to that over my trusty ole friend the ponytail holder.

Sometimes, I'll just pull it through a ball cap if I'm working on the pool or something simple. I just don't like it in my face while cleaning icky things. No one says *OMG! Addy has the JOHN BUN IN TODAY!* :D

yellowchariot
September 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
No one says *OMG! Addy has the JOHN BUN IN TODAY!* :D

HAHA LOL! That was a good one! :laugh: