PDA

View Full Version : tangles?!

Sarah4983
September 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I'm having great success this time going cone-free, but I've noticed that my hair (especially the underlayer) tangles pretty often and pretty severely. I've never had this problem while using cones.

My routine consists of using a tiny bit of nutri-ox shampoo at my scalp, focusing on the temples where I had bald spots months ago, then rinsing that out and following up with the GVP conditioning balm. I've even left the conditioning balm in overnight with a plastic grocery bag on my head a few times in the past couple of weeks.

Then I'll finish up with a small amount of coconut oil while my hair is still damp and voila! Looks good except for the tangles I'm constantly getting in the last 4 inches of length.

Any advice on how to lessen the amount of tangles?

freckles
September 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I've noticed my hair tangles more now I'm cone-free, too, so though I don't have advice -- I sympathise and I'll be watching this thread! :)

Curlsgirl
September 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
There could be several reasons actually that you are getting more tangles now. First, cones really help with tangles, simply put. It may be that you can find a better cone-free detangler in a wash out or leave-in conditioner or that your hair simply does better with cones.

Secondly, you may need a trim. Sometimes when the last few inches or so tangle it just means they are damaged and split and you need a trim.

I would suggest trying some different conditioners that are better for detangling and/or a good cone-free leave-in. That might take some experimenting but you could try using one that someone else with your hairtype likes. That doesn't guarantee success either however. It is such an individual thing! Don't give up on cone-free yet however until you have given it a fair chance. But if you find you like cones better than nothing wrong with that either! Good luck!

Sarah4983
September 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks!! I may be heading out to Sally's soon... is there a good cone-free leave-in you recommend that I could possibly find there?
I didn't know there was such a thing... Any leave-in I've seen has had cones. good to know!

karli
September 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
If you have previous damage, those parts may tangle easier. My hair doesn`t tangle unless I miss too many split ends.

I`ve been using cone conditioners on dd, believing that they are better detanglers -dds hair tangle alot, even without any damage. The last months though, I`ve been starting with coneless for her. The more moisture she has in her hair, the less tangley it gets.

berr
September 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I've finally reached classic length and my ends are tangling. They aren't as bad as about bra strap the under layer sometimes gets really bad tangles. I'm also virtually cone free but I do use some deep conditioner with cones. I think I'm going to warm up the jar of coconut oil and drench my length in it and leave it in a baggy all night. :)

Sarah4983
September 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I found this thread about using aloe vera as a leave-in:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28886

However, my question is - Do I put the aloe gel in wet, damp, or dry hair??? And how much would I want to use?

Sarah4983
September 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
*bump*

anyone? aloe vera as a leave-in conditioner? Would I put it in wet hair? damp hair?

Thanks!

Renbirde
September 8th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I've had decent luck using a catnip tea soak instead of normal conditioner. It's taken a few washes to really make a difference, though.

adiapalic
September 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
(I'm not sure about the aloe) But I did want to add to the following possibilities/suggestions that Curlsgirl kindly posted. :)

There could be several reasons actually that you are getting more tangles now. First, cones really help with tangles, simply put. It may be that you can find a better cone-free detangler in a wash out or leave-in conditioner or that your hair simply does better with cones.

Secondly, you may need a trim. Sometimes when the last few inches or so tangle it just means they are damaged and split and you need a trim.

- Too much/too little proteins: does your hair feel dry or brittle on the last 4 inches? Some conditioners contain protein that might overload your hair, and then again your hair may be wanting more protein.

- Build-up: Build-up can make hair stick together like crazy. You might need to clarify.

These are two things I addressed with my ends tangling like crazy after I gave up cones, and my ends have since been very tangle-free and silky. Hope that helps :flower:

aisling
September 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I was also thinking about clarifying, did you clarify when starting a cone free routine? It's a really good idea to start by doing that, especially as you write that you use only a tiny bit of shampoo and concentrate on your scalp. That's good, but if you have buildup you'll have to wash the length as well once or twice.

Curlsgirl
September 9th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks!! I may be heading out to Sally's soon... is there a good cone-free leave-in you recommend that I could possibly find there?
I didn't know there was such a thing... Any leave-in I've seen has had cones. good to know!I like Biolage conditioning balm for a leave-in and I think Sally's has a knock-off that someone will know the name of. It's supposed to be just as good but I haven't tried it. I get a big jar of the regular stuff and it lasts me forever because you don't need much. It's really thick!

I found this thread about using aloe vera as a leave-in:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28886

However, my question is - Do I put the aloe gel in wet, damp, or dry hair??? And how much would I want to use?For me aloe gel does nothing for detangling if that is what you are looking for. The only time it has done much for me is in an SMT (Snowy's moisture treatment). I have used that in the past for a deep treatment. You heat up conditioner, honey and aloe gel all mixed together and slather it on your hair and leave it under a heat cap for a while. Some people really like it. Aloe buy itself really does nothing for me except make my hair sticky. Some people actually use it as a light hair gel.

jivete
September 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I like Biolage conditioning balm for a leave-in and I think Sally's has a knock-off that someone will know the name of. It's supposed to be just as good but I haven't tried it. I get a big jar of the regular stuff and it lasts me forever because you don't need much. It's really thick!

The Sally's is just called "Generic Biolage Matrix conditioning balm" if I'm remembering correctly from my bottle at home. I too use it as a leave in conditioner. I'm mixing it with some of the clear, CVS aloe gel lately and like the two together. The aloe doesn't seem to provide much hold for me, but it does seem to give me a little extra moisture.

The ends of my hair tangle pretty badly too. Oil helps, but they're just pretty damaged from old layers and dye/heat damage.

Merewen
September 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have been using my regular conditioner, which is cone-free, as a leave in. I take a dime size amount (about) and it has been working wonderfully.

feralnature
September 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I simply try not to rinse out all the conditioner when I am doing my final rinse in the shower. I use very cool water, almost cold, and rinse the conditioner out of my hair...almost. I leave the conditioner on the length of my hair and gently, gently wring it out and then towel dry it. I do not ever put conditioner on or near the top of my head so greasiness is not a problem. I am also diligent about lifting my hair up off of the back of my neck and rinsing the conditioner off og there so it won't be too greasy under there when i wear my hair up . It is hot here and it would be icky if the under part of my hair was conditioned too much.

I also have an idea why so many people have tangling underneath their hair. I think it may be due to what their shirt is made of. We know that silk prevents tangles and wool encourages tangles (that's why those trying to cultivate dreadlocks wear wool caps). So perhaps clothing options should be discussed. Just an idea on my part, no hard, cold facts.