PDA

View Full Version : Sock bun memories

jlpearce
September 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I've seen mentions of a sock bun here several times, but never really paid attention, since my hair isn't long enough to go up in a bun yet. However, I was looking through old pictures today and found some from when I was in the Navy, and it reminded me. You can have hair that's any length you want while you're in the Navy, you just have to be able to get it up above your collar while you're in uniform. I had waist-length hair at one point while I was in and I wore a lot of buns. However, when you first get to boot camp, one of the first things they do is to chop off all your hair.

After boot camp I went to what's called an A School, where you learn your job before you go out into the real Navy, on a ship or whatever. The sock bun was kind of a rite of passage for people in A school, it meant that your hair was long enough to have to wear up, but not long enough to actually do anything else with. I remember all the girls in school sitting on the floor and cutting the toes off a pair of socks and figuring out how to do the bun, how to get our hair to cover the sock so it didn't show and how to secure the ends. The next day we showed up at the morning meeting and all the guys were shocked--where had all this hair come from!

I call it a rite of passage because graduating from the sock bun was also a big deal, when the tail got too long or you could finally do a "real" bun. I had no idea it was something that you could do with long hair, too!

Hope this isn't too irrelevant, it's a funny memory, and it was kind of a shock today when I looked up how to do a sock bun and found that it was exactly the same thing we did back when I was in the Navy! I was expecting something totally different...:)

MermaidGirl
September 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
That's a cool story (aside from the boot camp/cutting off all your hair - yikes!) - thank you for sharing it! Here at LHC, we all tend to be on the lookout for "hair milestones" - your sock bun story would definitely fit in the hair milestone category, because I'm sure all you gals were waiting for the day you could do a regular bun without using the sock!

jlpearce
September 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh we definitely were! There were all sorts of milestones, the first time you could get it in the sock bun, the first time you didn't have to use 20 clips to secure all the hair that was too short to get into the sock bun...all the way to the first time your CO told you to cut your hair because your bun was bigger than your head! If I'd known about this site when I was still in I might not have cut my hair so often, I only really knew how to do one bun and it got boring, so I'd cut it off again. On the other hand, since it had to be back 8 hours of every day, that was probably the healthiest my hair has ever been!