PDA

View Full Version : Back after a long while & looking to grow out henna!Also, major help needed!

Shae
September 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
When I was young I used to have brilliant auburn hair and loved being a redhead. Well, now that I'm older (35) it has faded to more of a duller brown/red. I hated not being seen as a true redhead and started using henna about 2 years ago. The thing is it never has really looked great....in fact the ends now are a weird orangey tone and very dry. I want to grow out the henna so I'd love all your hair growing tips!

Also, I really need help in another area. I am hypothyroid, have mild pcos AND my ferritin always dips down low! So I basically have half the hair I did 7 years ago when the nightmare of hairloss started. It's now pretty stabilized as I'm on hormone meds and iron, but my hair always looks bad. My 1c hair is about 4 inches past my shoulders but looks sooooo thin AND frizzy/dry at the ends. I also tend to have a very oily scalp (even on Yaz bcp and Spiro!) so I have to wash daily.

When I was growing it from a short cut I really babied it for over a year, but it seemed like it didn't feel much better than when I used coney products so I went back to them. I don't use heat appliances however.

Any words of encouragement or experience would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Addy
September 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
The only thing I can recommend is patience and lots of it.

I'm growing out dye and I'm only a year into it and I just put it up and forget about it. Hopefully, it will grow.

Good luck and welcome back. :)

Shae
September 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I guess I will just have to commit and then chill out!

I think that I need to start back up CW, maybe alternating days...CW, W, CW, etc. I need to do something about this dryness and frizz. Henna may be good for some, but I honestly think it made my ends worse.

Any recs for a night light conditioner for my CW days?

tia y'all!

MermaidGirl
September 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Shae, have you CWC before? If so, how did it work out for you? I tried CWC and for some reason, it made me shed MASSIVELY and I know others who have had that same problem with shedding while doing CWC. Just wanted you to be aware of that if you do CWC and notice more hair coming out.

I use the diluted 'poo method - I dilute my shampoo in a 4 oz. color bottle - a lot of water and a little poo, and do two washes. Because I'm oily, with the first wash I barely get any suds, but with the second I do. I decided to try the diluted 'poo after the CWC did not work for me.

AnneAdeline
September 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hi! I've been growing out my henna for a while now. Here's a recent pic of how far I've gotten: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=617&pictureid=46059 . I'm at that stage where it looks like I have a fake bun clipped on. It's something that you have to power through. I've dyed my hair a couple times with temporary dyes (just did purple for the fun of it) to ease me through this transition.

Good luck!

spidermom
September 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I can't imagine why CWC (conditioner to length, shampoo to scalp, rinse, conditioner to length again) would make anybody's hair fall out. I've been doing this for nearly 5 years now; no problems. I also dilute my shampoo most of the time.

Henna made my hair feel awful also. I just grew it out and got regular trims. After awhile, it was hard to tell where the henna ended and my natural color began, but I only hennaed once.

MermaidGirl
September 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I can't imagine why CWC (conditioner to length, shampoo to scalp, rinse, conditioner to length again) would make anybody's hair fall out. I've been doing this for nearly 5 years now; no problems. I also dilute my shampoo most of the time. ...

I should be more clear ... because I have an oily scalp, I was applying conditioner to the scalp (to help remove excess oil as I was trying to extend washings) and length, rinsing, shampooing the scalp only with diluted 'poo, rinsing, and then conditioning the length. So it appears my method was a modified CWC, and it sure made me shed!

spidermom
September 8th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I should be more clear ... because I have an oily scalp, I was applying conditioner to the scalp (to help remove excess oil as I was trying to extend washings) and length, rinsing, shampooing the scalp only with diluted 'poo, rinsing, and then conditioning the length. So it appears my method was a modified CWC, and it sure made me shed!

I have heard of increased shedding with using conditioner on the scalp; that's for sure.

Konstifik
September 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I have no tips, but I too am going to grow out my henna. It didn't damage my hair or anything, but I miss my natural colour a bit. Even if it's rat-grey-blonde-ash-ish, which I dislike. :P

So I wish best of luck! I hope it won't take too long. :)

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Welcome back and good luck! I don't have henna troubles (never tried it!) so I'll be of no use there, but I'm sure you could still use a :grouphug: and a :flower:.

redwoman
September 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Well I would try a micro-trim for the dry ends. Its amazing what just getting off the tips will do. As for the henna, well, that will just take patience and trims, patience and trims. The good news is that eventually you will have all virgin hair. :)
I would be at classic right now if I hadn't dyed my hair black and had to slowly cut it out. I looked pretty ridiculous with black hair and red roots:rolleyes: but I stuck with it. Trust me, it will eventually go away. Good luck!

Shae
September 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone...you all are great and I remember why I used to love this place!

I think I will try the CWC method and dilute the shampoo as suggested. Even doing this I'll probably have to clarify once every week or two. I hate having an oily scalp and hair loss BUT I've just had to face it and do what it takes to keep my scalp healthy even if that means a more "harsh" routine than most here.

Again, thanks for the support!

Medievalmaniac
September 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I agree with Redwoman about the microtrim, it could make a big difference. Have you tried an SMT for the dryness?

kdaniels8811
September 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I get a great audburn color mixing henna with indigo - see my album for photos. Straight henna is too orange for me. As for washing, herbs on my scalp helped my thin hair get thicker and stonger and grow! Something to consider.

feralnature
September 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I am growing out demi-perminent red dye rather than henna but it is basically the same. My ponytail is red and my head is grey although my grey is finally getting long enough to be in the ponytail now. I am so glad not to be tied down now to having to have my hair colored on schedule becuase my roots show. Now, my hair always looks nice at the roots...so free-ing.

I just keep my hair conditioned with coconut oil and use Suave or VO5 shampoo and conditioner. I have not trimmed my hair in almost 2 years but know I need a very small trim as the ends are beginning to act as "velcro", tangling at the very tips ends.

Your henna will be grown out before you know it, just enjoy the journey to virgin hair. It is worth it.