PDA

View Full Version : guys sporting girly hairstyles :)

Pburgh56
September 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi im a guy who wants to grow my hair very long down to waist length :) my hair is currently at my collar in length and id like to let it grow for a long time. I have noticed some guys who like to style their hair in feminine ways and id like to try it. Like straightening and curling my hair, updos, high ponytails, buns, and braids. What do u think of styling a guys hair femininly? should i do this? thanks :)

patience
September 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
In my opinion, there is something very appealing about a man with his hair in a bun (maybe held up with a metal hairstick). I think it shows quite a bit of confidence about oneself.

Do what you want and don't worry about what others think.

Just my :twocents:

sneakybea
September 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I knew a guy in college who usually wore his hair French braided, and he was able to pull off that look quite well. Other than that, I'd need to see the style to comment, but the cool thing about the styles you've mentioned is if they don't work out for you can always take them out!

EvaSimone
September 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I think buns and braids on a long haired male can actually emphasize their masculinity, definitely attractive.

But honestly (and you did ask for opinions) every time I think of a male with curled hair I picture Louis XVI and those men with the powdered wigs. It creeps me out and I've not a big fan of the "high ponytail" look on men either.

That's my very blunt :twocents: ultimately though you aren't here to make anyone else in this world aesthetically pleased but yourself so do what you like!

GlassEyes
September 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Honestly, I used to care more about how I was perceived for wearing hairsticks, braiding my hair, what have you. I used to worry about getting beaten up for it, actually, or worse.

Life's too short to worry all the time. I'd rather be happy.

I could care less anymore and do what I want, even if people think I'm a stereotype because of it. You should probably do the same.

Hiriel
September 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Feminine hair styles can certainly look good on men, but I'd like to add that braids on a man don't have to look feminine at all. (Bonus points for braiding your beard ;))

Laylah
September 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I guess it depends how much you care of what other people think of you. While there's nothing wrong , IMO, with a man sporting a feminine hairstyle, it's certainly out of the ordinary so it will turn some heads and unfortunately some people will judge you for it. If you're strong enough to not care what others think, go ahead.

Btw, as Hiriel said, I don't think braids look feminine on men. :)

feralnature
September 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Maybe they should not be called "feminine" hairstyles" but rather "creative", "artsy" or "fancy". Just trying to think of a word that doesn't automatically make one think of something being girly right away.

little_acorn
September 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I quite often attack my hubby's hair (almost waist length) and put him in all sorts of styles - braids when I oil his hair, high ponys and buns. I think he looks great with those hairstyles, unfortunately his beard isn't long enough for me to braid - though I keep threatening too :p

If you are secure in yourself then enjoy playing with your hair and putting it into what hairstyles you like. Have fun with it :D

Gumball
September 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Wear your hair however you feel you want to wear your hair. It's all up to you and what you've comfortable with doing. I'm a guy and I've worn my hair in various different ways. It's all about how you feel about it. That's the main thing to consider. As long as you enjoy what you're doing then it will be all good.

pepperminttea
September 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Personally I find a single braid on guys incredibly sexy. But go with whatever you're comfortable with, it's your hair, after all. :)

feralnature
September 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have always thought of 1 or 2 braids as manly because of the Native American men who wore them and also because I like the ones sported by Willie Nelson.

http://harveywallbanger99.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/willie_nelson.jpg <-----click link for Willie's hair

KarpatiiSiv
September 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Its your hair so you should wear it in whatever style you feel comfortable with. I often french braid my DH's hair for him and I think braids look great on guys.

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Wear your hair how you like. Most styles are only deemed 'feminine' by society. I think they're mostly genderless.

Fractalsofhair
September 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Personally, I like guys with their hair in more masculine styles. That means, if they do a fancy bun, use a manly looking hairstick. If they want to use a pretty hairstick, do a boring looking bun. If they want to heat style, making it look less "perfect princess" and more cascading curls or bone straight hair(without looking "promy" so slightly messy) looks best. Braids look great on guys! I like long hair on guys though, which many women do not. However, it is your hair, do what you like with it.

Fractalsofhair
September 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Note, this is about straight/bi men who I would consider dating/find attractive. If you're friends with me, how your hair looks doesn't really matter to me. Shaved heads just creep me out, but personality matters most with friends. If you're a drag queen(many of my friends are!), please do not style your hair in a "manly" way. That sorta defeats the purpose of drag... XD

spidermom
September 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Any style that you personally like is fine with me.

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Any style that you personally like is fine with me.

We need to make 'Spidermom approves the hairdo' cards to hand out to people who might not approve. She's a pretty smart lady and I'd trust her opinion/judgment. :p

Elenna
September 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The most masculine hair styles are braids and ponytails.

smilinjenn71
September 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
:waving:Hi friend! Glad to see you made it over here.:applause

You've already been given great advice, so I don't really have anything to add. Just wanted to welcome you. I added you to my contacts as well.

trolleypup
September 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
How a hairstyle looks depends a great deal on how the person carries themselves. How you present yourself besides your hair will say more about you so long as people are taking more than a brief glance.

Depending on where you are, and who you associate with, you may get more or less crap about how you present yourself, including your hair. If this bothers you, growing your hair out and styling it in non-standard ways can be stressful. If you are self confident and don't really give a damn what others think, it will go much easier.

One thing I have noticed is that the worst detractors for hair and hair styles are typically not your "target audience." In my case...I never had a woman say they couldn't tell if I was a boy or girl...or, for that matter, indicate that they disliked my long hair!

Shiva
September 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I am a the product of being a teen in the 80's, so teased out (not that I would recommend that now :eek: )long hair and eyeliner was the choice of manly men.

So... I think as far as long hair on men... well, anything goes. Bun it, braid it, pull it back in a ponytail... whatever floats YOUR boat.

psssssst, whatever you do don't tease it out to the outer reaches of the universe. You just may get some odd looks/comments, etc.

:p

EdG
September 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
As others have said, hair is hair is hair... :D

You have at least three years of growing ahead of you. During that time, you can think about potential hair styles. Welcome! :)
Ed

Das Siechtum
September 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
As I can only speak for myself. I love the versatility of my hair (tailbone length). Sometimes I wear it as normal english braid, braided updo with 2 braids to the side or even buns (mostly with a Flexi8). So just try the hairdos and keep those, you are comfortable wearing. :-)

Arashi
September 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Wear your hair however you like. If you like "feminine" hair styles, go for it! :)

Aer
September 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I think it's fine if a guy does this. It really is how the guy hold himself and his demeanor if he comes off manly or not, the hair dos don't really make it. Plus, in ancient warrior cultures, the men ( and women) wore all sorts of elaborate hair styles.And everyone gal likes a warrior!!

CheshireGrin
September 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Personally, I'm all into people crossing society's gender lines and not caring what others think. It certainly shows more confidence and strength to go against the crowd and do what you truly want. Also, depending on the man a lot of up-dos can actually accentuate masculine features since your face is on full display.

I myself don't really see any hair style as "fem" or "macho" by default. It's more about who is wearing it and how they individually express themselves with it.

ipickee
September 7th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Woo Hoo! More power to you! I think some men look exxccceellleeenntt with long hair. To each his (or her) own. Besides, whose buisness is it besides your own? If you're strong enough to deal with any 'different' reactions that you may get, then go for it!

Zéphine
September 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM
You know, sometimes I put my hair up in what I think is a very feminine updo, then look at my face in the mirror and think "I look like a guy!" (I'm not a guy and don't want to look like one, which is certainly not to say that guys can't be good-looking.) So I guess things are relative.
I agree with the previous posters who said that braids can be a very masculine style; they look girly to me on women, but on men they make me think of warriors and tough biker guys.

david
September 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I would say go for it, life's too short to worry what others think, just be yourself. Im a guy and I wear my hair in so called "feminine" styles all the time. My usual day to day styles are down (natural wave & straight), ponytails (high included), braids (english & french) and half up with a barrette. I have also tried various buns etc for more formal occasions. I would just say to choose accessories that are fairly plain i.e. plain barrettes, thin alicebands etc. The main thing is that you look comfortable wearing various styles and that they suit your personality.

Besides, in my experience since growing my hair I've actually found that I seem to get more attention from girls as its a form of conversation starter, an icebreaker. Anybody that gives you any hassle for wearing your hair how you like is someone who is not a nice person to begin with and your best to just ignore these people.

marzipanthecat
September 8th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Whatever you do with your hair - very long or very short - someone won't like it! So go ahead and do what you like best.

Personally, I like the girl-styles on men (I can't think of a better way to refer to them, although I cannot think why they aren't gender neutral).

Also, it's good to see men who are secure in their own gender and just in themselves, doing what they want to do. In the UK, lots of people made fun of the footballer David Beckham when he went out with his fingernails painted pink (this was quite a few years ago), but I thought, "Gosh, now there's a man who doesn't care what people think - and he's got a nice wife and a nice family and tons of money and a job he enjoys, so he must feel secure in himself"

Isilme
September 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Wear your hair as you want. I would never think my bf looked "girly" with a dutch braid (reversed french braid) with a black shirt and his knee high leather boots. It really looks nice with his almost full face beard.*yummy* He would look manly with a bun too but he doesn't let me do them for him because they pull on his scalp:( I think a low nape bun with plain stainless steel hairsticks would look awesome.
If you don't want to wear two braids on each side of your head you could start as if you were about to do a half up, braid the top section, and then the bottom section too. Two braids on top of each other.

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I love pigtails on guys......but you already knew that, lol. :D Welcome to the boards, didn't I tell you this place is awesome? ;)

yellowchariot
September 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I agree with the previous replies about how society "determines" what may look feminine.
For example normally a bun or a braid would be associated with a woman wearing a red dress, skirt, etc.

Now take that exact same bun or braid, and throw it into a different time zone (ancient Samurais warriors / Knights) or environment setting of certain job tasks, and then you have a whole different look/aspect about the style.

naomimcc
September 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
In my opinion, there is something very appealing about a man with his hair in a bun (maybe held up with a metal hairstick). I think it shows quite a bit of confidence about oneself.

Do what you want and don't worry about what others think.

Just my :twocents:

agreed!:):cheese:

Anje
September 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Do whatever you want to do. As Trolleypup said, a lot of it comes down to how a guy carries himself and how confident he seems. If you come across as confident, you can pull off pink sparkly ribbons if you want to.

Heck, I had a few hair pins lying around after taking down a bridesmaid's hair after my brother's wedding, so I attacked my other brother and stuck his hair in a bun. Not only did it look good, but he asked me to teach him how to do it! Guys look great in buns!

oogie
September 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Well, I'll play devil's advocate here. How do you look in the mentioned styles?

happy more with one than another? Easy to do, something you like seeing?

then go with it, no one else has to have say over you (unless of course you let them). They don't pay your bills, put food on your table and even if they did they'd have no right to tell you what to do with your hair.

Ok I'm done being evil. for now. :flowers:

Radulfr
September 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm glad to read all the positive feedback regarding braids. I wear a single one every day but never hear a word about it, pro or con.

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Feminine hairstyles are only feminine because only women wear them. Some years ago, trousers were manly because only men wore them...

See my point? ;)

Believe me, one of the richest parts of long hair is to style it in an infinity of styles. Don't worry about how others feel. If you like the looks on you, then wear them proudly.

(goes back to learning lots of diferent hairstyles :D:cheese:)

Beldaran
September 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Wear your hair how you like. Most styles are only deemed 'feminine' by society. I think they're mostly genderless.

^Exactly.^

getoffmyskittle
September 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I agree with everyone who said hairstyles have no inherent gender and you should do what you want.

That said, I think men look great in half-ups. :thumbsup:

pink.sara
September 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
"guys sporting girly hairstyles"

Sexy as ****. :D

I straighten my SO's hair for gigs (he's the lead singer in a Prog Metal band) and when he's at work or just relaxing it's a mid height ponytail.
But also I think it looks great when he puts it up in a loose bun with a plain wood or metal hairstick :)

The only problem is all the women who want to touch it make me all green-eyed ;)

It's not feminine if you're all man! Go for it!

RocketDog
September 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I used to play with my husband's waist-length hair all the time, straightening and styling it. Braided his beard when it was long enough, too. I had a buzz cut at the time, so his hair was my outlet. I mourned when he cut it off...

I say go for it, enjoy your hair and do whatever you like with it!

Pburgh56
September 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone you have all supplied great points and I will def try some buns and braids for sure. I think the longer it gets the more u can do with it and the funner it becomes :) any other styling ideas?

Spike
September 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Braids and buns are more or less unisex in my eyes. Some Navajo Indian men (the more traditional types) wear their hair in a bun at the back of their heads tied with a cloth--nothing feminine about that! The younger guys who grow their hair long often sport twin braids, and that looks fine too.

Now, if you're talking elaborate bridal style updos . . . I might stop you in the street and ask how you did THAT with your hair and where you got the little silk flowers.

Seriously--you are not here to decorate my world. Do as YOU please with YOUR hair.

david
September 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone you have all supplied great points and I will def try some buns and braids for sure. I think the longer it gets the more u can do with it and the funner it becomes :) any other styling ideas?

yeah just experiment, if anything you'll get more positive responses that negative. In terms of other styles one of the coolest and edgy styles I done recently was done by a friend of mine for a night out, she asked if she could do my hair so I couldn't refuse. I've seen loads of girls with it but never thought to try it myself. It is basically a mid-high ponytail with a quiff at the front. Quite a stand out style but with my rock 'n' roll inspired style it really suited me. Obviously the quiff was fairly small and not too stand out it was more to give a bit of a twist on the standard ponytail, so you could try that. I'll be trying that style out on a more regular basis.

Luckysock
September 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
yeah I think it can be hot. I don't want to 'exoticize' but if I'm honest I think that it gives that 'warrior' look on a man - which can be really attractive.

dame-dancealot
September 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I was just thinking this weekend that my favorite thing about Renn Faire is that EVERYBODY is comfortable enough to put pretty things in their hair... Which translates to I saw multiple "manly" men with pretty sticks in their hairs. I wish more guys would do more than a pony tail pulled back.

heatherdazy
September 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I personally find men with long hair extremely unattractive. A low ponytail is probably the least ridiculous looking style I could think of and somehow native american guys pull it off in a way other guys can't. Curling and updos would be as off putting to me as a full face of makeup or a frilly dress on a man.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way... but you did ask for opinions so I'm sure you didn't just want the positive ones. It's only fair that you should know that if you're wearing an elaborate curled updo, not everyone is going to think it's great. But if that's really what you want to do with your hair, you shouldn't let someone else's opinion stand in your way.

Beldaran
September 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I personally find men with long hair extremely unattractive. A low ponytail is probably the least ridiculous looking style I could think of and somehow native american guys pull it off in a way other guys can't. Curling and updos would be as off putting to me as a full face of makeup or a frilly dress on a man.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way... but you did ask for opinions so I'm sure you didn't just want the positive ones. It's only fair that you should know that if you're wearing an elaborate curled updo, not everyone is going to think it's great. But if that's really what you want to do with your hair, you shouldn't let someone else's opinion stand in your way.How can you call 10% of our member's hair, including the original poster's, "extremely unattractive" and then hope they don't take it the wrong way? In what way should that be taken?

Arriens
September 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Feminine hairstyles are only feminine because only women wear them. Some years ago, trousers were manly because only men wore them...

See my point? ;)And skirts are for the girls right?
/me thinks of braveheart.
And yes, after that I am brave enough to show up in a scottish skirt. :p

I say, go with the hairstyle you like. I am also a male who pretty much keeps his hair in a low ponytail or loose.

smilinjenn71
September 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
How can you call 10% of our member's hair, including the original poster's, "extremely unattractive" and then hope they don't take it the wrong way? In what way should that be taken?

I don't think she means it offensively or nasty. That is her opinion and we all have one! She happens not to find men with long hair attractive, just as some men dislike women with short hair. It's all relative. Just because she is on a long hair site doesn't mean she thinks it will look good on everyone.

She also said the poster should do what he wants...not whatever everyone else wants!:flower:

rusika1
September 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I agree with everyone who said to go right ahead!

You might as well start practicing now; at collar length you might be able to manage a teeny little half up. :D

heatherdazy
September 11th, 2009, 12:22 AM
How can you call 10% of our member's hair, including the original poster's, "extremely unattractive" and then hope they don't take it the wrong way? In what way should that be taken?
So every time someone asks your opinion, you should agree with whatever they think? Then why should they even ask?

I'm sure lots of men found me extremely unattractive when I was bald and that doesn't mean they're bad or wrong, it just means everyone has their preferences.

vdhendrix
September 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM
i personaly think guys are hot with very long hair, i think braids and high pony tails look good on guy, but only a "messy" bun not a fancy one for a guy

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 11th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Well, speaking from my personal opinion, I think it looks great on some guys and not so hot on others.. but what I find the most sexy is a man with self confidence to do with his hair as he likes and forgetting what everyone else says he should do. I know I am probably in the minority but I think Bill Kaulitz (http://media.photobucket.com/image/bill%20kaulitz/Heart_Candy/Tokio%20Hotel/Bill%20Kaulitz/BillKaulitz17.jpg) is pretty hot with his hair style and I don't think you can get more feminine than this and millions of boys & girls across the world are in love with him!

Arriens
September 11th, 2009, 04:25 AM
So every time someone asks your opinion, you should agree with whatever they think? Then why should they even ask?

I agree with her, most posts are "ow it looks great/do whatever you want".
But then again, we are on a long hair board so most people here are a bit biased anyway.

Beldaran
September 11th, 2009, 06:23 AM

I'm sure lots of men found me extremely unattractive when I was bald and that doesn't mean they're bad or wrong, it just means everyone has their preferences.I'm disagreeing with you, aren't I?

If any of those men in your example had called you "extremely unattractive" to your face, and then said they "hope you don't take it the wrong way" while I was there to witness, I'd explain to them that there are more polite ways to phrase things. That's all I'm saying here. Go ahead and disagree, but I know you can do so without using insulting words. :twocents:

Mutinous
September 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm in a kind of similar situation to you (the OP this is). I think braids can look good (though that would be hard with your hair length as it is). Curls could also be a bit of a nuisance. I straighten my hair frequently, and wear it in a ponytail for work, and I've never felt effeminate about it.

I once knew a bloke with really long hair who pulled it into a bun a lot, and I was so jealous of how good it looked! I think buns tend to look better on people without bangs, but thats just my opinion.

Just give them all a go and see if you like them!

Pburgh56
September 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Mutinous I tot know what ur saying sometimes im like sooo jealous of guys who have great hair and buns and such. I too straighten mine sometimes so ill keep doing that. as it gets longer im sure ill be able to do more.
I realize too that as stated above everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. I just tend to agree with most people on this board that guys with long hair are great :)

KaasKnot
September 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM
And skirts are for the girls right?
/me thinks of braveheart.
And yes, after that I am brave enough to show up in a scottish skirt. :p

Do you know why it's called a kilt?

Because if you called it a skirt you'd be kilt (killed). :P

adiapalic
September 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I have always thought of 1 or 2 braids as manly because of the Native American men who wore them and also because I like the ones sported by Willie Nelson.

http://harveywallbanger99.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/willie_nelson.jpg <-----click link for Willie's hair

THAT is an awesome picture. :cool:

yellowchariot
September 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM

^ I had to LOL after reading that :rollin:

If I could add my opinion, without starting a flame war. . . :o
I think that society has subconsciously placed suggestions, ideas, and thoughts into our brains, not only how we should dress and wear our hair, but what is also considered "right" and "wrong" ways to speak to people of different walks of life. However back in the ancient Greek/Europe/Asian/Native American times, what was socially acceptable then, isn't quite acceptable now. I kinda think that long hair will begin to come back for both sexes within the next 10-50 years from now (such as a massive social / or catastrophic revolution) :shrug:, just my theory though.

I think that heatherdazy, was just giving her honest input because she is a hairstylist and she is trained according to today's fashion-society acceptance, on how to probably style male and female hair. :thumbsup: I've had a couple of female friends who were stylists say that they were trained to "deal" with their clients by suggesting the proper haircuts that would most likely appeal to their facial features, and such. Some of them were even threaten with being fired from the job if they didn't suggest what the exact protocol required them to say :rolleyes:! Then most of the members came to the aid of the OP defending his thread, which showed your support! Also nothing wrong with that.

I believe that if "socially uneducated"(for lack of a better term) people saw a man wearing a "girly style", they would probably poke fun. However when you keep wearing that style as a job function (as I do) Then, they tend to accept it because they "understand" that your braid/bun is serving your task, and so forth. After a while their "brain" just passes it off as a "norm", instead of an unusual sight to see :p

That's just my :twocents:. . . Does anybody have change for a $1. . . lol :D

Addy
September 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
You're too funny yellowchariot! :D Change for a dollar.... :rollin:

I don't really care how people style their hair. As long as they are happy with it, it's none of me damn business. :cool:

Mutinous
September 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Mutinous I tot know what ur saying sometimes im like sooo jealous of guys who have great hair and buns and such. I too straighten mine sometimes so ill keep doing that. as it gets longer im sure ill be able to do more.
I realize too that as stated above everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. I just tend to agree with most people on this board that guys with long hair are great :)

Just bear in mind that straightening it too much will kill it (that is if you are using heat styling). I'm really not one to preach, but if you do it, then invest in some heat protection products, they help a little :)

Pburgh56
September 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks Ill def have to protect it some. what are some good products to get?

Alun
September 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM

The old jokes are the best ones! To be honest, though, a kilt is just a particular type of skirt, and I am wearing a kilt right now as I type this.

I have waist length hair that I mostly wear loose, but I do quite often put it in a single braid, aka a pigtail, and nobody ever says a thing. OTOH, I only get hair compliments when my hair is loose.

I have tried putting my hair in a bun, but somehow can't bring myself to be seen like it. Maybe one day.

As for more complicated styles, I think it's probably a male character trait not to want to be bothered with the complication, but if any other guy wants to I promise not to snicker at them.

lloo
September 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
just go for it, who cares. get creative man. there are all kinds of different ponytails etc. you can do.

juliaxena
September 13th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I have thought long before posting this but I think, since you asked, there's nothing wrong if you hear an opinion from another perspective. While I respect everyone's choices, I do come from traditional environment and I percieve long hair and especially updos as primarily feminine. There will be other people who will think the same out there. It's just a realistic thing to say. Here you get the most support possible and it is great. But if you have doubts about it yourself and are not self confident, then perhaps you should think about it. If you don't care (and I actually think you should not) about how others will percieve you, then go for it. There will be people like me, who will respect your style, but there will also people, who will not respect it.

Beldaran
September 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Well said juliaxena :agree:

Gladtobemom
September 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
The Viking look with braids or a guy-hair-toy can be very masculine. Viking men wore their hair in "knots" also (buns).

I think a braid is really neither masculine or feminine. My eldest son has a very Nordic look, 6'3" tall, big masculine jaw, medium blonde hair and blue eyes, big shoulders with a very athletic build. He used to wear a long braid most of the time. He made a hair tie out of a Chinese coin and he wore Bungees often. He always looked both masculine and very handsome.

I've actually seen more and more men wearing their hair in a bun, usually a low bun. Ponytails (of course) are quite common.

Lately, I've noticed a few guys with thin strips of leather braided into their hair, then made into a bun. I found this both attractive and masculine.

Pburgh56
September 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Wow I never thought of that viking look before tho :) It sounds really cool tho ! Same with the leather as well. wow theres going to be sooo many cool styles to try

Arriens
September 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Never heard that one. One to remember though. :D

Also, I tried braiding my hair as in Das Siechtum's avatar. How much hair do you grab there because mine is no way near that thickness? :(

Fractalsofhair
September 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm disagreeing with you, aren't I?

If any of those men in your example had called you "extremely unattractive" to your face, and then said they "hope you don't take it the wrong way" while I was there to witness, I'd explain to them that there are more polite ways to phrase things. That's all I'm saying here. Go ahead and disagree, but I know you can do so without using insulting words. :twocents:

What I think she meant by saying she finds it extremely unattractive is that she finds it extremely unattractive for men she wants to date to have long hair, not men in general, just men she wants to see romantically. I can relate with that.

I find guys who gel their hair, or who are balding and have long hair to be unattractive. There are members here who are balding and who have long hair. It just means I don't really like their hairstyle for guys I WOULD WANT TO DATE, not that I hate said guy or that he shouldn't grow out his hair. Heck, we have corset threads on the health section, and I know guys that think corsets are ugly.

I know there are members on here who are male and older than me. Is that to say that when they post a thread asking if they look good in an outfit(I don't think this has happened, but as an example), I should deny they look kinda silly or not cute in my personal opinion? If I don't like the look of a particular updo with a person's face, I do think it is fine to mention it. When some members here have dyed their hair, we've commented on how we like the natural color better, or the dyed color better.

That could all offend someone. ANYTHING can offend someone out there. There is a difference between being inflamatory and giving one's honest opinion about how one prefers for one's partners hair to look. I don't like hair longer than hips on guys in general, I find it unattractive. That's my personal opinion, and if a guy here wants to grow his hair longer, it is his own choice.

Even if he's my boyfriend, it's his own choice, and it's one of the most minor things to me in terms of what a man can look like, which is the spirit of the point I believe she was trying to get across(IE, if a man likes it, he can grow it, it's just not positive to a particular woman). You don't have to like everything about everyone's apperance or pretend to. Being honest is best, unless you KNOW said person has low self esteem and is not looking for an honest answer. It's better for a man who's planning on growing out his hair that some women don't like long hair than it is for him to think everyone will love it, because when he grows out his hair, he'll get comments(as we all do here), and well... It will be less of a shock.

Fractalsofhair
September 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Ill def have to protect it some. what are some good products to get?
Well, not heat styling is the best option. Heat styling DESTROYED my hair(along with 1, 10 volume peroxide application). It broke off horribly, and it was only shoulder length at the time.

A good coney heat protection will help hide the damage, but not repair it. (I like Chi Silk Infusion for an extra shine upon occasion)

A lot of members here only use conditioner to wash their hair(a cheap one like V05) which can help prevent damage. Wearing it up using hairsticks and non metal elastics can help.

Using a wide toothed comb helps a lot in the shower to detangle without causing damage.

Dawna
September 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I must say, I do love men with 2 braids, native American style.

Vijikanth
September 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I started growing my hair long after being inspired by the guys who had posted their photos with the versatility of styles. The most important of all with any hairstyle is the way you dress and the confidence you carry. Which means you can a wear a high ponytail with colorful hairties with a proper combination of dress. No one will raise an eyebrow. Njoy the day, but remember to post some pictures with the different styles. All de Best..

Das Siechtum
September 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
2 braids is also native viking style ;-)

Beldaran
September 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
What I think she meant by saying she finds it extremely unattractive is that she finds it extremely unattractive for men she wants to date to have long hair, not men in general, just men she wants to see romantically. I can relate with that.

I find guys who gel their hair, or who are balding and have long hair to be unattractive. There are members here who are balding and who have long hair. It just means I don't really like their hairstyle for guys I WOULD WANT TO DATE, not that I hate said guy or that he shouldn't grow out his hair. Heck, we have corset threads on the health section, and I know guys that think corsets are ugly.

I know there are members on here who are male and older than me. Is that to say that when they post a thread asking if they look good in an outfit(I don't think this has happened, but as an example), I should deny they look kinda silly or not cute in my personal opinion? If I don't like the look of a particular updo with a person's face, I do think it is fine to mention it. When some members here have dyed their hair, we've commented on how we like the natural color better, or the dyed color better.

That could all offend someone. ANYTHING can offend someone out there. There is a difference between being inflamatory and giving one's honest opinion about how one prefers for one's partners hair to look. I don't like hair longer than hips on guys in general, I find it unattractive. That's my personal opinion, and if a guy here wants to grow his hair longer, it is his own choice.

Even if he's my boyfriend, it's his own choice, and it's one of the most minor things to me in terms of what a man can look like, which is the spirit of the point I believe she was trying to get across(IE, if a man likes it, he can grow it, it's just not positive to a particular woman). You don't have to like everything about everyone's apperance or pretend to. Being honest is best, unless you KNOW said person has low self esteem and is not looking for an honest answer. It's better for a man who's planning on growing out his hair that some women don't like long hair than it is for him to think everyone will love it, because when he grows out his hair, he'll get comments(as we all do here), and well... It will be less of a shock.
She never made any such distinction that I saw, so I read her words as written, and gave my honest, but tactful, opinion of what she said. Interesting that you're defending her right to her opinion and her right to honesty, but not defending mine.

Yes, being honest is best IMO, but there is brutal honesty and there is honesty with tact. That was my only point, I never said she couldn't disagree or shouldn't have been honest. I'm done with this hijack now, I think I've said all I can say to make my point.

Jin
January 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
I wear girly styles a lot. It's fun!

hairpleasegrow
January 22nd, 2014, 06:48 PM
I like to see a man unafraid of expressing their style. If you feel like you'd like to try it then do it. Remember confidence is key. There are no rules these days just do what you feel and good luck with your grow out :)

queenieheather
January 22nd, 2014, 08:35 PM
I love french braids on men! Hair sticks too :)

T-Red
January 24th, 2014, 03:29 AM
The positive responses everybody has shared on here are what inspire me to grow my hair out. I need another couple years to grow until my hair is long enough to braid, but I am looking forward to it! In my corner of the world, non-conformity sticks out like a sore thumb, so it would take a lot of courage to go out in public like that. I wish it weren't that way.

fraulein_doktor
January 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I think braids on a guy look really masculine, especially if a beard is involved.

walterSCAN
January 24th, 2014, 11:29 AM
That's just my :twocents:. . . Does anybody have change for a $1. . . lol :D

<hijack>

Oh no!! Just had to post my sadness at finding out yellowchariot closed his account. :( That's really too bad, I'll miss him. This is what I get for taking long LHC breaks then reading old threads...

</hijack>

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Jin
September 14th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I love to fix my man's hair in girly styles. His hair is currently only mid-back but still long enough to style. I love to send him out into the world with some bit of femininity about him. It might be braids, barrettes, curls, pig-tails, or simply a high pony tail. I often highlight it with a bit of colored ribbon or a jewled clip. We always get positive feedback from other men and women.
Sometimes I dress him girly too, but that is a discussion for a different forum!
I can make him look like girl, but when it comes to action he is all man.

MINAKO
September 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
I have a friend who does Have medium long hair, his styles are kinda girly and look super hot on him. Might spark some inspiration. I think its cool if people can make a look work for them outside of the ordinary. Society and it's stereotypes are BS to begin with.
http://instagram.com/kimsungchanofficial

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I think everyone should wear their hair however they like it. It's just a way of expressing ourself just like clothes do so I say knock your socks off.
Myself personally , I find feminine buns on guys to be super hot. It makes some men appear much more masculine

Hairkay
September 14th, 2015, 02:03 PM
I kind of find it strange to define hairstyles as feminine or masculine, sometimes it's just a hairstyle. If you look back in history in many parts of the world, buns weren't just for women. It's the same with plaits/braids and pony tails.

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 04:48 PM
I personally for my SO..would have to draw the line at barrettes, bobbles and bows and things of that nature..possibly headbands too unless youre a soccer player..:)
A man bun alla Joakim Noah or some cool leather ties, braids, and pony tails are all okay :)
but then again if he's willing to share all those toys...then.....lol

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 04:59 PM
H
I personally would have to draw the line at barrettes, bobbles and bows and things of that nature..possibly headbands too unless youre a soccer player..:)
A man bun alla Joakim Noah or some cool leather ties, braids, and pony tails are all okay :)
Yes I suppose I should have specified that I like male buns minus the overly feminine hair toys.
Most the the guys I have found most attractive just had a simple form of accessory, like a simple covered elastic , plain stick or something'. I didn't really notice the hair accessory much :wannabe: :crush:
If you know what I mean? :shrug:

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 05:06 PM
hehe..hell yeah elastics or sticks are good..but if he came sauntering in sporting a pink crystal encrusted ficcare...
We'd be like- :"That better be for me"..!

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 05:35 PM
hehe..hell yeah elastics or sticks are good..but if he came sauntering in sporting a pink crystal encrusted ficcare...

Umm:hmm: yes:lol:

neko_kawaii
September 14th, 2015, 05:41 PM
LOL, he is quite welcome to wear a pink crystal encrusted ficcare as it wouldn't suite my tastes at all. Now, I might ask him to share if it was something I found pleasing. Shame mine keeps his hair too short for toys.

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 06:00 PM
LOL, he is quite welcome to wear a pink crystal encrusted ficcare as it wouldn't suite my tastes at all. Now, I might ask him to share if it was something I found pleasing. Shame mine keeps his hair too short for toys.
Lol...:) sharing would be good

gthlvrmx
September 14th, 2015, 07:33 PM
I kind of find it strange to define hairstyles as feminine or masculine, sometimes it's just a hairstyle. If you look back in history in many parts of the world, buns weren't just for women. It's the same with plaits/braids and pony tails.

Hair is hair to me. Personally, if the person is happy with how they wear their hair, then good for them. I just looked at viking photos today and I saw that some men braided their beards. It looked pretty cool, I know I am braiding my beard when it get's long enough for a braid. :)

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 07:41 PM

Haha ladies. Omg! Can you just imagine. Just another thing to fight over :doh: :rollin:
I mean .... As long as he did 't hoard all the good toys ......right:shrug:

EdG
September 14th, 2015, 07:43 PM
A long time ago on another hair board, there was a member who was very good at putting his hair in various intricate styles. Such styles are usually associated with women. He had a website with photos.

You can guess what happened. He ended up taking down his website because it attracted unwanted attention.

That was unfortunate. He was highly skilled and not afraid to challenge convention.
Ed

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Hair is hair to me. Personally, if the person is happy with how they wear their hair, then good for them. I just looked at viking photos today and I saw that some men braided their beards. It looked pretty cool, I know I am braiding my beard when it get's long enough for a braid. :)

Yeah! Just wait till you see the Christmas balls they have for beards now :lol:

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Im not sure how historically accurate but the hairstyles on the show vikings is amazing...for both men and women!

I also love pirate-y or tribal looking hairstyles on men .. like how Keith Richards adorns his hair..lol ( he was the inspiration for Johhny Depps Pirate of the Carribean character..:)

trolleypup
September 14th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Light blue crystal...or other colors depending on mood. Mostly barrettes encrusted with crystal flowers...never got into the Ficcares. I gave a couple away over the years (this was during my bus driving years, so interacted with a LOT of people)...I got a few negative reactions (but not one from any person I'd like to have on my bus again).

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 08:10 PM
A long time ago on another hair board, there was a member who was very good at putting his hair in various intricate styles. Such styles are usually associated with women. He had a website with photos.

You can guess what happened. He ended up taking down his website because it attracted unwanted attention.

That was unfortunate. He was highly skilled and not afraid to challenge convention.
Ed

That is unfortunate indeed. Everyone in the world should be able to wear their hair how they like.
There are a lot of guys who can do hair just as good or better than women, no doubt.

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Light blue crystal...or other colors depending on mood. Mostly barrettes encrusted with crystal flowers...never got into the Ficcares. I gave a couple away over the years (this was during my bus driving years, so interacted with a LOT of people)...I got a few negative reactions (but not one from any person I'd like to have on my bus again).

Those action shots would be neat to see..:) hope you shared! Well I guess you did since you gave some away!

gthlvrmx
September 14th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah! Just wait till you see the Christmas balls they have for beards now :lol:
Christmas balls? I don't know whether you mean the Christmas ball decorations things that you put on christmas trees or an actual dance event for people with beards during Christmas. I have never heard of such an event!

Im not sure how historically accurate but the hairstyles on the show vikings is amazing...for both men and women!

I also love pirate-y or tribal looking hairstyles on men .. like how Keith Richards adorns his hair..lol ( he was the inspiration for Johhny Depps Pirate of the Carribean character..:)

I did not know that about Keith Richards being the inspiration! :)

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Christmas balls? I don't know whether you mean the Christmas ball decorations things that you put on christmas trees or an actual dance event for people with beards during Christmas. I have never heard of such an event!

Yes..lol ..not only for the general look but also the manner of speech and mannerisms too ..:)
He appeared in one of the movies as well! :)

gthlvrmx
September 14th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Yes..lol ..not only for the general look but also the manner of speech and mannerisms too ..:)

That is cool. I don't think I have seen much of that movie but I have been on the ride at Disney! I don't remember though if I got a good look at the robots hair though of Johnny Depp...I barely remembered the two little braids on his chin!

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 08:47 PM
That is cool. I don't think I have seen much of that movie but I have been on the ride at Disney! I don't remember though if I got a good look at the robots hair though of Johnny Depp...I barely remembered the two little braids on his chin!
Yeah I think he had braids and little bones/shells and all kinds of things woven in his hair..You should check the movies out..some of them were pretty entertaining. I think there are 4 or 5 of them by now..:)

rowie
September 14th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I've never in all my years ever received a negative comments with all the ficcares I wear!:lol: I have id say a wide variety from the uber feminine all the way to the black masculine shapes like innovations and super clips. I don't think men in general care what accessories I wear as long as it doesn't catch their attention like pink. Although when I wear my hair down at tailbone length I get a lot of weird reactions from men. Some give me a smile and some mistake me for my gender which is why I always wear my hair in a bun and sometimes with a baseball cap. Women out in public is a different story. Women I know will notice anything! I know because they'd get out their mirror and start fixing their hair, and some would approach me wanting to know where I bought my clips. I've had about four women out in the real world want to buy my clips, but little do they know the ones I wear are discontinued and worth at least over 200$-400 range. Most annoying is when there are women that pull and tug my hair and asking me if it's real. :( so annoying but I laugh and mind my way to avoid confrontation which is why I tend to wear my hair in a bun daily to avoid it.

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Well that all sounds really cool rowie :)

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 09:45 PM

They have coloured metallic Christmas balls to hang on men's beards. Some people really like them.
It's a sure way to get noticed. :D

neko_kawaii
September 14th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I would love to see some beard balls in real life. Sadly they only seem to exist on the internet. I offered to decorate a couple beards I know but it is too untouched for even the hipsters to go there.

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I've never in all my years ever received a negative comments with all the ficcares I wear!:lol: I have id say a wide variety from the uber feminine all the way to the black masculine shapes like innovations and super clips. I don't think men in general care what accessories I wear as long as it doesn't catch their attention like pink. Although when I wear my hair down at tailbone length I get a lot of weird reactions from men. Somge give me a smile and some mistake me for my gender which is why I always wear my hair in a bun and sometimes with a baseball cap. Women out in public is a different story. Women I know will notice anything! I know because they'd get out their mirror and start fixing their hair, and some would approach me wanting to know where I bought my clips. I've had about four women out in the real world want to buy my clips, but little do they know the ones I wear are discontinued and worth at least over 200$-400 range. Most annoying is when there are women that pull and tug my hair and asking me if it's real. :( so annoying but I laugh and mind my way to avoid confrontation which is why I tend to wear my hair in a bun daily to avoid it.
Ive had people pull at my hair before because they thought my 6 braid pony was some kind of weave or wig.
It's great that you can feel free to be yourself.
Until I came here I wouldn't have believed that some hair toys cost hundreds of dollars.
I'm just picturing what that would be like having a group of woman around mauling your hair and trying to buy your hair accessories because they wanna look as good as you :lol: priceless

Brileeka
September 14th, 2015, 10:03 PM
If you can pull off more feminine styles then by all means do them.

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I would love to see some beard balls in real life. Sadly they only seem to exist on the internet. I offered to decorate a couple beards I know but it is too untouched for even the hipsters to go there.

But where would you see them? At a party maybe! I know living in the country it's not something' I'm going to see soon.
A guy walking down the dirt road with coloured Christmas balls all over his face would certainly be noticed.:lol:
People around here would probably think it was a costume or something which I guess is what it is really.
My guy has no beard and wouldn't wear them anyway but it would be kinda cool to braid in some beads , bells or coloured tinsel . While decorating the tree, you decorate your man at the same time :lol:

rowie
September 14th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Well that all sounds really cool rowie :)

Ha ha thanks! I'm just happy and comfortable with who I am and so yeah. :)

Ive had people pull at my hair before because they thought my 6 braid pony was some kind of weave or wig.
It's great that you can feel free to be yourself.
Until I came here I wouldn't have believed that some hair toys cost hundreds of dollars.
I'm just picturing what that would be like having a group of woman around mauling your hair and trying to buy your hair accessories because they wanna look as good as you :lol: priceless

Yeah it is a horrible experience to have a stranger pull and tug something that I feel is personal and private property! I don't know it must be in their nature to be comfortable with strangers to do that?

Yeah I'm comfortable with myself to the point that I probably have a bold personality in real life. I guess I love to be different and test conventional society by adding my own uniqueness to the mix. I have this self belief that I work hard to pay for my things, pleasures in life, and bills, so therefore I could care less what other people think when comes to my own hard earned right for self expression. I feel the same for others. I wouldn't care if like say my sister chooses to be masculine with her expressions towards her own identity. :) I do feel sad for those that have a hard time fully expressing their individuality because of following expectations of a conventional society or those that are oppressed from having the right to self expression because of their culture.

yahirwaO.o
September 14th, 2015, 10:40 PM
I certainly have received some good and bad criticism on some of my styles. Usually when its negative I either hear its kind of femenine or just way too dirty hippie.

When I was growing and wearing my hair in twin braids, the first reactions were kind of annoyin. They told me only poor and old mexican women used that stuff and I needed to put it in a boring low ponytail to make presentable. Well I crearly didnt bother and continue to wear it until they got used it and I was kind of known as the guy in braids.

When I cut my hair to my current lenght and decided to temporaly change my parting to a side one, I wanted to wear it down without being on my face so I got myself roller, big and brownish bobby pins to keep it off my face while still have the down look but not boring. Clearly metal on a front face guy can make some people believe I wanted to be a girl or something, still I rocked those bobby pins until they wore out-got lost and decided to get back to my all time middle parting.

I also experimented with curls in the very first part of my grow journey, pin curls and roller sets gave me awesome big volume hair which I always wanted. Again some people though I was wearing a wig and that styled hair is kinda of taboo on a man. In retrospective, it was a bit way to glam at the time, still I tried it, enjoyed it and now I just prefer my hair super straight and natural.

And when it comes to my accesories I never dared to wear anything flowery or super colorful pink, nor proper bun toys except from my leather hair slide. My bandanas wore in hippie or indian style recieved dirty and even racist comments on it which dont really need to be written here.

Still the good feedback received from positive people are always better and more encouraging. Even that, I dont care people really, I just like to enjoy my hair and rock my long flowing hair they way I want to and the way I please. :guns:

... I always say, it takes a real man and gutz to rock something out of the common standard thing, hair and other aspects. All those mental barriers are gone now for me!!!!

trolleypup
September 14th, 2015, 10:57 PM

Yeah it is a horrible experience to have a stranger pull and tug something that I feel is personal and private property! I don't know it must be in their nature to be comfortable with strangers to do that?
I guess I look cranky enough and have enough RBF that pretty much no one touches my hair without asking permission. And, once it is on my terms, it is all fine. And, well, never mind the introvert thing when it comes to hair.

Confidence in yourself counts for a huge amount when you are living outside the norms.

...and, sadly, living in a place where you are unlikely to be assaulted or killed for not conforming. :(

And when it comes to my accessories I never dared to wear anything flowery or super colorful pink, nor proper bun toys except from my leather hair slide. My bandanas worn in hippie or indian style received dirty and even racist comments on it which don't really need to be written here.

Still the good feedback received from positive people are always better and more encouraging. Even that, I dont care people really, I just like to enjoy my hair and rock my long flowing hair they way I want to and the way I please. :guns:

... I always say, it takes a real man and gutz to rock something out of the common standard thing, hair and other aspects. All those mental barriers are gone now for me!!!!
Own it. NFTG (look that up on the internet)!

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 11:02 PM

Yeah I'm comfortable with myself to the point that I probably have a bold personality in real life. I guess I love to be different and test conventional society by adding my own uniqueness to the mix. I have this self belief that I work hard to pay for my things, pleasures in life, and bills, so therefore I could care less what other people think when comes to my own hard earned right for self expression. I feel the same for others. I wouldn't care if like say my sister chooses to be masculine with her expressions towards her own identity. :) I do feel sad for those that have a hard time fully expressing their individuality because of following expectations of a conventional society or those that are oppressed from having the right to self expression because of their culture.

Honestly Rowie I don't have a clue where people think they have a right to touch you, let alone tug at your hair. It IS an assault to invade someone's personal space like that.

You've got one of the healthiest form of self acceptance I've ever viewed. It's too bad more people didn't feel as liberated as this. They would be happier with themselves which would translate into being happier and more tolerant of others.

You've also got the best flexi 8 collection that I've ever seen. I'll never forget seeing the picture you posted of all your flexi's lined up from one end of the room to the other on a string. It's awesome. Keep shinin' Rowie! :thumbsup:

bte
September 14th, 2015, 11:42 PM
I haven't cut or trimmed my hair for over 21 years, and for most of my life have wanted to have it very long - ideally, I would have grownit to my knees. Not because I consider it "girly", just because I like it long. I never achieved my goal length, but I have for over 20 of those 21 year wor it in either a ponytail or,more recently, in a braid. At the recent London meet, it was suggested that I would have enough for a bun, so that's something to try in the future, although I prefer styles which emphasise the length.

I think any practical style is suitable for longer hair, and can be as masculine or feminine as the wearer wishes it to be. Attitudes have changed - gender role models are not as fixed as in previous generations. Women wearing jeans and shirts do not attract attention for "not looking like women"- indeed it is accepted as a very attractive style. Similarly, men with long hair in updos find apprecation for their style too. You can celebrate your own hair and enjoy it in any way you want.
I

rowie
September 15th, 2015, 12:34 AM
I guess I look cranky enough and have enough RBF that pretty much no one touches my hair without asking permission. And, once it is on my terms, it is all fine. And, well, never mind the introvert thing when it comes to hair.

Confidence in yourself counts for a huge amount when you are living outside the norms.

...and, sadly, living in a place where you are unlikely to be assaulted or killed for not conforming. :(

Own it. NFTG (look that up on the internet)!

Oh yes, I've had my share of having to hide my personal self expressions in places I feel is too conservative. I tend to use common sense in those situations despite it feeling like it deprives me of my existence. If I'm with a large group of people, I carry on and make my presence known. However, if I'm by myself I tend to adjust my style to compromise a little. I switch out my accessories to the kinds I can use for self defense. Yes, only at LHC have I learned that some hair toys can be used for self defense. Those GTS antlers, ravenscroft moons, etc seems to perfectly cover that need. I've even used switch blade knives in my buns for those places I feel I'm not safe just to make an attempt that I'm not one to mess with.:demon:

I find it amazing what I've learned here at LHC. Who would have ever thought that a simple hair stick can be so deadly in times of need. But seriously, as I get older I'm starting to feel like "life" is becoming too short to have to worry about these things, but of course safety should always come first right. I've had my share, and it's sad that humanity hasn't really evolved that much when something like "self expression" can be a challenge for some people, and also can be taken for granted. I tend to choose to live in an area with "free thinkers," and free liberals. I've had my share of living in those privileged "small town" and it almost took my sanity or "humanity" away that it was good for me to avoid living in those kinds of environments.

Honestly Rowie I don't have a clue where people think they have a right to touch you, let alone tug at your hair. It IS an assault to invade someone's personal space like that.

You've got one of the healthiest form of self acceptance I've ever viewed. It's too bad more people didn't feel as liberated as this. They would be happier with themselves which would translate into being happier and more tolerant of others.

You've also got the best flexi 8 collection that I've ever seen. I'll never forget seeing the picture you posted of all your flexi's lined up from one end of the room to the other on a string. It's awesome. Keep shinin' Rowie! :thumbsup:

Aww thank you for noticing my non conventional crazy addictions with things that you and everyone has had massive enabling with hair toys. Honestly, I like to mimic all of the styles you all share and make it my own. I also have to tell you I love that massive amethyst looking stone on your crafty skills of modding. I wish I had the time to invest working on my craft skills, but at least I have you along with all the crafty people in here to admire. As for flexi 8, wow I'm surprised you remembered. I'm honored, thanks! I guess it is bold for my gender to wear this style. But I rember there was another man who wears these, I forget his name. I think he's a math teacher in real life and uses a modded quote from the movie "Princess bride". I think he changed it to something like "you twerp my henna, prepare to die." :rollin:

I think my addiction started with Trolleypup showcasing his barrette collections and then henna and so on. Then Cinnamon Hair at the time was selling her ficcares and it made me think, well if it helped her grow down to knee then maybe it will help me and so I jumped on that bandwagon. :lol: But thanks for rembering, and here I was thinking I just sorta blended in, funny how the meaning of gender construction becomes meaningless when one gets really into anything about hair.

EdG
September 15th, 2015, 06:58 AM
But thanks for rembering, and here I was thinking I just sorta blended in, funny how the meaning of gender construction becomes meaningless when one gets really into anything about hair.A+ post. :thumbsup:

We realize that hair is hair. Hopefully, the distinction between men's and women's hair styles will eventually disappear.
Ed

Jin
September 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM
I am noticing a blending of gender styles now. And eagerly awaiting the day when our clothing styles blend too (I am doing my part)

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 04:57 PM
The longer shirts over top skinny jeans that some males are sporting these days are somewhat dress-like so I think the blending is well on it's way.
Personally I don't really like that particular silhouette.

Wildcat Diva
September 22nd, 2015, 05:56 PM
Oh yes, I've had my share of having to hide my personal self expressions in places I feel is too conservative. I tend to use common sense in those situations despite it feeling like it deprives me of my existence. If I'm with a large group of people, I carry on and make my presence known. However, if I'm by myself I tend to adjust my style to compromise a little. I switch out my accessories to the kinds I can use for self defense. Yes, only at LHC have I learned that some hair toys can be used for self defense. Those GTS antlers, ravenscroft moons, etc seems to perfectly cover that need. I've even used switch blade knives in my buns for those places I feel I'm not safe just to make an attempt that I'm not one to mess with.:demon:

I find it amazing what I've learned here at LHC. Who would have ever thought that a simple hair stick can be so deadly in times of need. But seriously, as I get older I'm starting to feel like "life" is becoming too short to have to worry about these things, but of course safety should always come first right. I've had my share, and it's sad that humanity hasn't really evolved that much when something like "self expression" can be a challenge for some people, and also can be taken for granted. I tend to choose to live in an area with "free thinkers," and free liberals. I've had my share of living in those privileged "small town" and it almost took my sanity or "humanity" away that it was good for me to avoid living in those kinds of environments.

Aww thank you for noticing my non conventional crazy addictions with things that you and everyone has had massive enabling with hair toys. Honestly, I like to mimic all of the styles you all share and make it my own. I also have to tell you I love that massive amethyst looking stone on your crafty skills of modding. I wish I had the time to invest working on my craft skills, but at least I have you along with all the crafty people in here to admire. As for flexi 8, wow I'm surprised you remembered. I'm honored, thanks! I guess it is bold for my gender to wear this style. But I rember there was another man who wears these, I forget his name. I think he's a math teacher in real life and uses a modded quote from the movie "Princess bride". I think he changed it to something like "you twerp my henna, prepare to die." :rollin:

I think my addiction started with Trolleypup showcasing his barrette collections and then henna and so on. Then Cinnamon Hair at the time was selling her ficcares and it made me think, well if it helped her grow down to knee then maybe it will help me and so I jumped on that bandwagon. :lol: But thanks for rembering, and here I was thinking I just sorta blended in, funny how the meaning of gender construction becomes meaningless when one gets really into anything about hair.

Rowie, I think you are referencing Pierre.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=2313

Jadestorm
October 12th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Personally, I think it really depends on which man, which hair style, which hair type he has and what his overal style is (clothing wise etc).
Some men can pull off feminine styles very well and others, well, not so much. The most important thing is that YOU like it and that you wear it with confidence.

flemeister
October 12th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Yes I suppose I should have specified that I like male buns minus the overly feminine hair toys.
Most the the guys I have found most attractive just had a simple form of accessory, like a simple covered elastic , plain stick or something'. I didn't really notice the hair accessory much :wannabe: :crush:
If you know what I mean? :shrug:
Like this here? My daily work bun. :)

http://s6.postimg.org/9icxhcxzh/IMG_20150702_072058a.jpg (http://s6.postimg.org/8su54zxg1/IMG_20150702_072058a.jpg)

MsPharaohMoan
October 12th, 2015, 11:12 AM
this is such an awesome thread. Rock on brothers!

Knifegill
October 13th, 2015, 05:02 AM
The skinnier I get, the more I can get away with as far as ornamented hair goes. Chubby? Simple hair only! Bony? Decorated is tolerated!