PDA

View Full Version : I've always feared this...

Elphie
September 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yesterday, we took the kids to a local amusement park for one last summertime day of fun before school starts in earnest. One of my favorite rides is called the Pirate ship, essentially a huge ship that rocks back and forth. While I usually try to sit in the last row because it's the part that goes the highest, those seats were taken. I must say, I've always wondered what might happen if someone behind me became....shall we say, ill? Well, during the ride, I actually did hear someone groan behind me and instinctively moved over a bit, and didn't think anything more of it till I got off the ride. When I rejoined my group they were wide-eyed with horror and I asked what the problem was. Apparently my worst fear came true...and the evidence was all over the side of the ride. Panicking, I grabbed my hair and examined every strand! Thank goodness I didn't find anything. That may be the last time I ever go on that ride!!!

slynn41202
September 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm glad nothing got in your hair!

That would have been bad.

Shiva
September 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
My little brother lost his lunch on The Scrambler many years ago.

We still laugh about that.

Elphie
September 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Yep, I did notice the staff laughing and pointing. I guess it wasn't their job to do the cleaning! I think I caressed my ponytail for a full hour afterwards.

marikamt
September 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
all I can say is "eeeewwww- gross!!!!!"
My inner 10 year old coming out.... hee-hee

mellie89
September 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Ewww, gross! My friend lost her lunch on a ride a few years ago, but I wasn't as lucky as you. Thankfully she only got my clothes!

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah, throw up in hair isn't fun. I've never had it happen on a ride...well the ride called life? :) But my son has thrown up in my hair a few times.

Carolyn
September 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah me too on the "eeeeeeew gross". I puked once on Bob-Lo Island after being on a ride. I'm so glad I was able to wait and go behind a tent and be sick. I've had baby puke in my hair a few times. That's expected when you have kids. But a stranger's puke? OMG eeeeeeeew.

BlackfootHair
September 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
EEWWWW!!!! Glad it didn't get on you! lol

Shiva
September 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, throw up in hair isn't fun. I've never had it happen on a ride...well the ride called life? :) But my son has thrown up in my hair a few times.
The last time that happened to me I had drank 2 bottles of red wine.

ugh....

Fractalsofhair
September 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Ewwww! Well, glad it didn't get on you. That's disgusting that the employees don't clean it though!

Tressie
September 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM
It has been many years since I enjoyed?? this particular ride, but I still remember how "green" I felt when I got off!! LOL! I didn't lose my breakfast but I was sick! Too old I guess!

JessTheMess
September 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Ew!! I would freak if somebody puked on me :(

I used to work for a carnival. I ran and built the Gravitron. You can imagine how many people became ill on themselves.... :(
We keep a 5 gallon bucket of water near the ride just for those instances. At least once a night it happens.

Elphie
September 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't being cleaned...just that it didn't seem to be their job. I think they would have been less amused if it were!

Ah...babies don't count. That's happened a time or two. I've always joked about THIS happening and was just shocked that it was such a close call!

funnybunny668
September 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I haven't been to an amusement park in years, but that was the one ride that really made me green. Ugh! I only rode it once, thank you.

Gumball
September 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Eurrrrgh. That's some wise thinking that made you narrowly avoid projectile pirate ride vomit.

Bunnyhare
September 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I am so glad you escaped that !!
I went to school with a girl who had her long hair caught on the tracks of a roller coaster and it ripped out a large portion of the top of her scalp...she was the only one allowed to wear a bandanna or hat all the time...i thought you were going to say something like that! at least the other is washable....*shivers over both**

Elphie
September 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Bunnyhare, you've inadvertently made me feel SO much better! How awful for that poor girl!
Yes, Gumball, whatever encouraged me to move over at that moment, I'm quite glad for it!

embee
September 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Gah, how gross it would have been! You're very lucky. Glad you escaped.

I also thought you had gotten your hair caught. On the old board we had a thread about someone who got their hair caught (snowmobile? something...) and ripped off part of (all of??) her scalp. I don't think it was a member, I think it was a friend of a member. What a horrible thing!

Your story and that one are another reminder to wear hair up in a bun while around machinery. Or people who might b*rf.

Elphie
September 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Good point, embee! I thought I was doing a fairly decent job of just keeping it contained by wearing dutch pigtails that ended in a low pony but maybe I'll throw a bandanna over it next time!

Finoriel
September 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
:wacko: A nice shower or swim cap might be more effective than a soaked bandana though...
:wink: You just named one of the reasons why I never would ride one of those again. Just. Too. Frightening.

CavyQueen
September 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm always afraid that my hair will get caught on the the ride's machinery and snap my head back (horrid thought). So, I always put my hair in a pony tail and then tuck it in my shirt. People with long hair have the same worries I guess.

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Wow, that's really gross! :eek: I'm glad nothing got in your hair; I think if it'd been me, just hearing the person retching behind me would have made me lose my lunch. I can handle poop (thanks to having so many kids, I'm used to it lol), blood and other yucky stuff, but vomit is my Waterloo. :(

pdy2kn6
September 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
argh! thank gosh your strands were saved untouched. Sadly a similar event happened to my mum when she was walking around a school on a school tour with my brother a few years ago. She was going down some stairs and then the girl behind her was sick all over her hair!!! She was mortified to say the least haha.

marzipanthecat
September 8th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Many years ago I was at an amusement park with friends (we were all in our mid-teens) and we went on a Pirate Ship ride, and someone's purse or pocket or whatever came loose, and loads of loose change (coins) went flying everywhere. Wow, they really really hurt when they hit us in the face at that speed!

(No, no permanent injuries!)

Themyst
September 8th, 2009, 08:50 AM
:eek:

I've always wondered about that happening on that ride where everyone stands against the padded wall and the ride lifts up and spins around - the Round Up, I guess it's called:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_up

Themyst
September 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Many years ago I was at an amusement park with friends (we were all in our mid-teens) and we went on a Pirate Ship ride, and someone's purse or pocket or whatever came loose, and loads of loose change (coins) went flying everywhere. Wow, they really really hurt when they hit us in the face at that speed!

(No, no permanent injuries!)

:rollin:Oh, that's funny. Coins flying around hitting you ... on the Pirate Ship ride? Well, glad you weren't hurt seriously ... but so funny ... you know ... buried treasures and all -

Unofficial_Rose
September 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
The last time that happened to me I had drank 2 bottles of red wine.

ugh....

Me too. But it was whisky. And I woke up with the puke in my hair. :rolleyes:Not my proudest moment, and not the best way to start a New Year. Still, at least it was my own vomit. :o

feralnature
September 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Back when I was in nursing school, one of the teachers was trying to prove a point about wearing our hair up and back and she went on to tell some real horror stories of nurses who stupidly wore their hair down while working in the hospital.

No more details need to be told here because all of you have good imaginations and that is enough :D

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Eeeeewww the horror !! :P

You were lucky ! :D

Elphie
September 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I've never had "it" in my hair. Not my own nor anyone else's. I remember during my first year of teaching, on the evening of the winter concert, a little girl named Stella approached the girl's bathroom and managed to say "Miss...." before losing the rest of her dinner on my open-toed shoes. Fun night!

silverspun
September 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
i would fear more the hair blowing up onto a part of the ride, snagging and ripping out, whilst the ride moves fast and you have no control on it... best to wear hair secured on rides... i would say.

consarnit
September 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
That was a lucky escape. A couple of years ago my Mother went to the cinema and the people sitting behind her were being noisy, generaly irratating and eating enough to feed a small army then all of a sudden one of them leaned forward and vommited all over my Mother and her friend.
To make it worse, when she turned around and [quite rightly] went to tell them off they were laughing, still eating and then went on to say "What? Look, I've been sick all week, It's not my fault. Get over it."

teeleigh
September 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
i would fear more the hair blowing up onto a part of the ride, snagging and ripping out, whilst the ride moves fast and you have no control on it... best to wear hair secured on rides... i would say.

This is what I always fear and think of...
I usually do two french braids and tuck them into my clothing on rides!!!!

BranwenWolf
September 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I was about six inches away from some guy projectile-barfing on me at the Palm Springs airport. He turned his head so I saw it fly by. The thing is- we hadn't gotten on the plane yet.

Other than the blood from when I gashed my head, haven't had anything interesting in my hair.

Wicked Princess
September 9th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I'm always afraid that my hair will get caught on the the ride's machinery and snap my head back (horrid thought). So, I always put my hair in a pony tail and then tuck it in my shirt. People with long hair have the same worries I guess.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who worries about this! It's especially worrisome for me because...I love the carnival rides! The faster, the more intense the roller coaster, the more I love it! But I get so nervous that something will happen to my hair that I've started to wear it in a simple braid, and when I go on a ride, a wrap it up into a bun and secure it tightly with a soft scrunchie.

...now I have something else to worry about! Barf in my hair...it's never happened, and hopefully it never will.

ZadenWillowfyre
September 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Ugh...no fun. Glad your hair survived though! They should seriously put barf bags on those rides....

MissManda
September 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Whoa, that was a close call!

Addy
September 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
The kids have slimed me before but far worse than those instances was when my brother threw up all over the top of my head. :puke:

ladylibra
September 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately, I've vomited in my own hair before. :o Lucky for me, it was mostly just the large amount of alcohol consumed too quickly on an empty stomach coming back up, and was easy to wash out. :laugh:

Elphie
September 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
So many of you have made me feel SO much better with those stories! Thank you..and yikes!