PDA

View Full Version : Face wash for hair?

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
So I just got this face wash from Dessert Essence with Tea Tree Oil (which my scalp LOVES) and a bunch of other good for hair ingredients like coconut oil and olive oil. It's castile soap based and all-natural. I'm wondering if it would work for hair, since it has so many great ingredients and it's cheap enough (only @ $6.00 for 8 ounces at Trader Joes). What do you guys think? SHould I be daring and try it on my hair?

Ingredients: Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil (Organic) (Melaleuca Alternifolia), Extract of Matricaria (Chamomile), Goldenseal, Awapuhi (Hawaiian White Ginger), Bladderwrack, Essential Oil of Palmarosa, Petitgrain, Lavandine Super (Organic), Peppermint Oil

girlcat36
March 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Personally, castile soap is horrible on my hair(I did try it once with Dr. Bronners), but I say go ahead and try it. Let us know!

Sapphire'sWings
March 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Haha I'm using the JASON tea tree oil face wash (its liquid) mixed in with my Kiss My Face shampoo. So far, it works. :) I also use it as a body wash.

Then again, the face wash I use isn't castile soap based. I'd give it a try if I were you.

Schanulleke
March 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Ingredients: Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil (Organic) (Melaleuca Alternifolia), Extract of Matricaria (Chamomile), Goldenseal, Awapuhi (Hawaiian White Ginger), Bladderwrack, Essential Oil of Palmarosa, Petitgrain, Lavandine Super (Organic), Peppermint Oil

I'm wondering what is meant by castile soap. It seems everyone has their own definition. For me castile soap is made of only olive oil. For others castile soap is made of vegetable oils (including olive oil). So that's quite a difference.

It seems odd that besides castile soap, they add olive oil and coconut oil. My guess is they made castile soap from olive and coconut oil. Some people find coconut oil in soap very drying to their skin, but that depends on the % and can be different for different people. And of course hair can react different than skin.

The only way to find out if it works for you is to give it a try. :rolleyes:

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Sapphire's, that's hilarious that you had the same idea. I guess I'm not crazy afterall. The ingredients just seem so wholesome and simple. I think I was a little nervous about using it as a shampoo because I've had disasterous experiences putting things on my head in the past. Some things just turn my hair to straw for days afterwards.

Schanulleke
March 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Some people find soap with a high % of coconut drying to their skin. I don't know what the coconut % in this soap is or if that drying effect also goes for hair, but it might be something to keep in mind.

I hope it works out for you.

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Oh that's strange. I wonder why it would dry skin out since it's so moisturizing by itself. Well, I will try it and report back. I love things that have multiple uses.

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I've been using the same Desert Essence stiff on mt face for years now (Thoroughly Clean Face Wash) and my skin loves it. I do find it dries my skin too much by itself but i follow it up with a slathering of oil afterwards which i leave on a while then wipe off ewith a damp flannel and that takes care of any dryness issue.

I've actually also been wondering how good it would be to wash my hair with because going by my face, my scalp would love it. The Coconut and Olive oils you list are actually saponified oils.....so those make up the actual soap part and wont act in the same way as they would if you applied the actual oils themselves untreated. So i wouldn't use this thinking it will give the same benefits as oiling would for example.

I say give it a go if you are brave enough and see what happens.....i'd definately follow up with a vinegar rince and/or some form of conditioning though.

Anje
March 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I'll add a vote for "go ahead and try it." That said, I also have had issues using castile and other soaps (like CV bars) on my hair, because soaps have a pH that makes the scales on many people's hair stand up. Have a bit of vinegar and a big cup or pitcher handy. That way, if your hair feels weird, like it's waxy or coated in spider webs, mix 1-2 Tablespoons of vinegar (maybe less, probably shouldn't go above that) per cup of water and rinse your hair with it. You can then rinse out the vinegar rinse, or leave it in.

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ok I will definitely bring a vinegar rinse in with me. Good idea. I know my hair really gets that rubbery feeling from when I used to wash with CV soaps, and vinegar helped it go away. I will try this tonight and report back. :)

talullah
March 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I've actually shampooed my roots and the hairline with this stuff before, in hopes of combating scalp acne with the TTO. In general, my skin and hair don't like soap-based products though (I have extremely hard water and can't stand the itchy residue soap leaves behind) so that was a problem for me. But it didn't do anything awful to my hair. Try it!

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Ok I will definitely bring a vinegar rinse in with me. Good idea. I know my hair really gets that rubbery feeling from when I used to wash with CV soaps, and vinegar helped it go away. I will try this tonight and report back. :)

Oh cool, i'll look forward to hearing how it goes......i get one of those big bottles that you use to refill the normal size bottles with so i use it to wash my hands in and certian areas of my body too so the more uses i find for it the better :)

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
So taking advantage of having class cancelled (I'm a law student. I don't recommend it.), I hopped into the shower at 3 in the afternoon and washed my hair with this stuff. I squirted some out and rubbed it into the top of my head. It didn't spread very well, so I put more on the sides and back. The lather was a bit thin, but it was there after a bit of scrubbing.

After I rinsed, my hair felt clean but not stripped. It felt a little rubbery, but not as bad as it gets from shampoo bars. I used a white vinegar rinse, left it on for a minute, and rinsed it off. My hair felt totally back to normal and I debated not using conditioner because it felt so smooth. I just used a bit of Aubrey Organics HSR on the ends because they've been dry lately.

My hair is still wet, so it's hard to tell, but so far I think it worked really well. My scalp is very happy from the TTO. I'll let you all know how it goes!

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Oh fab :)

I'll definately try this sometime, maybe next time i'm in a rush so haven't got time to do a decent CO wash.

kimo
March 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I've made shampoo with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap before with good results; however, I know there are many who've had some bad results. Yes, I'd agree you could try it. Adding the vinegar rinse will help. Let us know how it goes!

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Oh cool Cloe. I would love to hear if it works for you. Just don't forget the vinegar rinse, because it made a really big difference.

Schanulleke
March 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm happy to hear it worked out OK. :)

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm happy to hear it worked out OK. :)

Thanks Schanulleke. Very cute siggie by the way.

Blueglass
March 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I've been useing dove foaming facial cleaner for about a year now. It has grape seed oil and I'm very happy with it.

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Oh really bluegrass? Now I'm thinking of using my aloe softsoap too. It has olefin sulfonate in it - the same foaming ingredient in a lot of natural shampoos including 50/50 and Nature's Gate. The other ingredients look good too. Hmm...

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I was always curious myself about using facewash for my scalp... I might try this sometime and followup with a leave in conditioner. Hmmmmm

truepeacenik
November 11th, 2016, 11:33 AM
So I just got this face wash from Dessert Essence with Tea Tree Oil (which my scalp LOVES) and a bunch of other good for hair ingredients like coconut oil and olive oil. It's castile soap based and all-natural. I'm wondering if it would work for hair, since it has so many great ingredients and it's cheap enough (only @ $6.00 for 8 ounces at Trader Joes). What do you guys think? SHould I be daring and try it on my hair?

I was always curious myself about using facewash for my scalp... I might try this sometime and followup with a leave in conditioner. Hmmmmm

Note the ingredients in the face wash. It's a true soap, not a detergent, as many liquid products are.